Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Barn Door in Secret Garden

jeannespines
14 years ago

Since I covet wood fences that lots of you GJers have, I've filled that need with old barn doors! I've posted a few barn doors from my gardens the past couple years & I now have a "red" one in the pines in my secret garden area. Moved a couple Hostas in front of it today...will see how they do...lots & lots of shade under the pines!

I re-painted this one & the old barnwood seems to last for years & years! Added some iron stars & a sun I got at Hobby Lobby. The 2 elongated metal stars came on the Junk Train from Purplemoon...they are cool!

{{gwi:131742}}

Today I added the "moon" ... a hand scythe sickle tool from antique store for $2.50...think I might paint the wooden handle red (after seeing these pics) & make it blend in more so "moon" shape shows better. Here's a closer-up view...will add a few more things (like stars or planets or moonbeams) when something special shows up. LOL!

{{gwi:145495}}

Here's white barn door from July last summer:

{{gwi:130332}}

And pricky pear gray barn door from last yr:

{{gwi:130334}}

I LOVE old barn doors!!! Jeanne S.

Comments (20)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I love your old barn doors too! I really like your stars and sun. Great idea using the scythe as a moon!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Jeanne, I just LOVE your barn doors, all of them. Makes such a nice place to display garden junque.

Thanks for yet another great idea.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I also love all your barn doors. Glad you found good use for the little star ornaments since they wanted to go live with you. When I saw the old scythe, I didn't recognize it for the moon. Duh. Old blonde syndrome. I figured you just had a weapon in the garden... in case someone tried to swipe your goodies. LOL. (I've watched too many horror movies probably, is it Friday the 13th yet?)

No old barn doors for me to find, but when we had to replace the old wood gate to back yard, I wouldn't let DH throw it in alley. Its sort of the anchor for my new little cactus garden now.

hugs, Karen

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I love all of your old barn doors. They are all great. I think I like the white one best but they are all wonderful. I have been thinking about decorating the side of my studio in similar ways. Got a couple of great stars that were meant to be Christmas decorations (were painted like Santa) on clearance. I painted them black. Have been looking for suns and moons that I like to go with them. If you ever get tired of your doors you can always send them my way...lol

• cait1
    14 years ago

ROFLHO
    STOP!!!

I'm sorry, but you're doing something that must be so ingrained in your 'child' brain that you don't even realize it... but you're MAKING THE COMMIE FLAG!!! Jeez! All you need is a hammer!! ROFLMHO!!!! That's the first thing I thought when I looked at the sickle and stars!! LOL And then you want to paint the handle on the sickle (sythe) RED, TOOOO!!!

Hmmm... are your 'true colors' showing there, Jeanne??? ROFL

I jest, of course. But I do find the image eerily similar to commie days.

The door with the prickly pear... is that yours? What do you do with the cactus in winter? Anyway, Love that pic. The door has such a beautiful patina on it.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

REally nice Jeanne. Love the doors and the cactus (even here I can overwinter prickly pear, tho it gets grumpy.)
    I did a double take on seeing your fluffy pine growth. So pretty.
    kathy

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Jeanne these barn doors are gorgeous. I like how you surrounded them with plants and decor.

Kat

• leveta
    14 years ago

Just love it ALL!!!

• fgirl21
    14 years ago

Your doors are just lovely.
    I wonder how you have them installed - especially the red one that appears to be free-standing.

Also noting you're in zone 4 (cold and wintery!) - do you haul everything in for the winter?

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMgosh, CAIT....ROTFLMHO also! (that's the "hine-y" that utilizes the "mirror" from smicker's post!) RED is not my fav color...my childhood brain still loves YELLOW!!! LOL! Oh, I love laughter in the morning!! Thanks, Cait!

purplemoon...old gates are wonderful...need a pic of that to your cactus garden!

smick...sounds like some cool ideas for your studio wall...keep an eye out...lots of good GJ at garage sales right now!!!

The pricky pear winters over...have a few on south at the house and then this barn door at Larry's shop...I never believed my Dad when he said there was a cactus that wintered over in Iowa! Ahhh, it's true!

And I don't haul any of the barn doors in for winter... seems the old barnwood stays pretty good...of course, these sit on the ground so I expect some rotting at some time...so far, so good. This year the white door has lots of "green" patina on it...but I like that...can always repaint if one doesn't like it:

{{gwi:145496}}

The new red door is leaning against an old log that DH & I had for seating under the pines...the white one just "leans" also...but very sturdy because barn doors are DARN heavy! (that's why we quit selling any at FM...too much work to load & unload in pick-up)...here's a small one I did sell that I've posted before:

{{gwi:134689}}

And this one was a gift for my DD (since her DH is the main source for finding barnwood & doors!): {{gwi:130260}}

Ahhh, jeepers, I've rattled on...thanks for letting me share this GJ that I love! And thanks for the gracious comments & the laughter!!!...Jeanne S.

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

OK Jeanne put your hand over your heart and say the pledge of allegence 3 times and then click your heels together. Your Good. (I am more into gardening than history so I didn't notice.)

I would love to have just one barn door (alas no room here living on the postage stamp lot). If I had one I would start a collection of old iron door hardware!!!!!! That sucker would look like a display in a hardware store!!!! I would not have had your imagination for the "stary stary night" VanGough look. You have an amazing collection.

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

I love barn doors too! Yours are extra sweet! I would love to have one of those old old barns on my property!
    LOL at Cait! That is to funny.(-: Maybe you should change the sickle around...(-:
    My daughter and I love stars too!!!!(-: And Suns of course!!!!
    CiNdEeS' GaRdEn

• cait1
    14 years ago

ROFL!! It's just a good thing McCarthy's no longer around or you'd be in trouble!! Happy you had a good laugh.

The rest of your barn doors are beaut, tooo!! And I don't think anyone will ever complain about too many pics and rattling on!! It will never cease to amaze me how we all feel like old friends gathering together whenever we jump on this board.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I like the new red door & it's theme!! I used to use sickle like that on our hillside going down to lake we lived at. Only way to cut the grass as it was very steep!! Really get a nasty cut tho if you get careless!! Hope that you is very dull!!!The hostas look great, soften the look, need a log in front or maybe 2 to sit on & enjoy your handiwork!! Jan

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I may have missed something, but just happened upon your walls in the garden and wanted to ask you.... how do you keep your pieces of fence upright ? Are they nailed to something stuck in the ground ? I have some wooden doors that I want to use the same way you have here, but I wasn't sure what to do. thanks for any information you can give me.

patty

• leveta
    14 years ago

I really Love your stuff...You set it up great...

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

castro...I'm smiling as I type your name...it's because of "cait's" comments above on Sat., May 23rd...so please forget the LOL!

Anyway, I posted again ... and my doors "lean" against things...the one in the pines has a big log behind it that DH & put there (to sit on)... the cactus door leans against his bldg. and I sit it on limestone pcs I put in ground... the white sun door also leans against a tree stump...tree had to be cut down ...and it sits mostly on mulch. So far, no problems & we do get wind here. You could use short steel fence posts and pound a couple in at an angle. Hope that helps answer...have fun with your doors!

sunnycal...my garden swing is only about 10' or so from this door...and so I sit there...very peaceful place...but you are right, the door does need some more...maybe a "bolt of lightning!" Does that signify anything in history???

Thanks for all the comments, everyone...enjoy sharing ideas & appreciate all the comebacks!
    Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Hi Jeanne~

I've been out of town, but had to laugh when I say Cait's response to your new barn door. I saw the Russian flag as well, but I just love what you do with all of your "door" displays...I'm always in awe of your creativity! Great job once again!!

• shysue
    14 years ago

All your barn doors are great!!! I love the way you decorate them.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Love all those great doors, and the way you decorate them! Great pics, Jeanne!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction