Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Bakers Rack decorated for Spring with Garden Junk

jeannespines
13 years ago

Well yesterday got the my patio baker's rack decorated with my good ol' GJ! Most everything on it is from GS's, TS's and occassionally, an antique store. Planting flowers...making progress each day.

{{gwi:137648}}

The bottom shelf has my necessities for gardening...I love the old watering can I got last yr & the small pan with the lid I just got at a church GS for $1...when I go out my porch door, I can grab one for the garden goodies!

The next shelf up has a birdhouse that's been mosaiced...got it last yr also...it's motivating me to try mosaicing...been collecting dishware since last yr. And another metal watering can...I like to use these & tea kettles for watering planted pots.

Pot of pansies...always my first early buy of spring...here's a pic of when it was on the porch table last mo:

{{gwi:145618}}

Like to put old crocks & such outside in the summer...so have a few here & there. And here's a close-up of top shelf...old bdhse & painted jug...another GS find...if you like to paint, this is a great idea for jugs! (already painted when I bought it)

{{gwi:137649}}

Thanks for lookin'! Jeanne S.

Comments (10)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Baker's rack looks great. Functional & attractive-best of both worlds for gardener!!Jan

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful!
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Your displays always look awesome Jeanne! Love all of the watering cans, etc. You're a great motivator.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

The whole display is "top shelf". I really like the mosaic bird cage, I, too am planning and saving dishes for a project. Keep us posted on the flower planting progress, I know that I'm ashamed of what I have spent this year at the garden centers. Also, you inspired me with your wind turbine post and I got started on mine this weekend, I'll post when I'm done.
    Frou

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Beautiful! You sure have a talent for combining! And, being both functional and decorative is even better! I don't have a knack for display like that. My attempts at display always look like the inside of my junk drawer! :(

I really like your little bee skeps by the pansies! They're totally cute! And pansies always have those cute little faces..I just love 'em! Cute display.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Another great display, Jeanne! I like that blue star too. If you want to get into mosaics, you might want to try your jug. One project that I hope to complete one day is a "memory" jug in honor of my mother. You mosaic it with pieces of sentimental value. Old jugs and jars were done with plaster and the pieces stuck in it. Google memory jug or jar and you'll find some great examples like the one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Memory Jugs

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Lovely shabby chic look to that Bakers rack!

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

it's a beautiful display and i'd love to have something just like it to make me smile when i walked past it!
    you know, that's the first mosaic bird cage i've ever seen....please don't let me go mosaicing the bird cages on my front porch! lol
    oh and that big aluminum pot on the bottom left? ha...we had one just like it! i was just a tiny girl and had to fill it and carry it to the stove to boil water in it...how in the world i ever managed, i don't remember anymore! i do remember tipping it off the stove on myself a few times, but thank God it wasn't boiling then; just me trying to lift it up. taking it down wasn't as hard :D it had this little rusty piece sticking off the rim on one edge, i don't know what it was for....

kudzu

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Jeanne,
    Tell me about the beehive twine thingies. Did you make them?
    If so, how? They are so cute.
    OA

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OA...the beehives I bought some time ago from "Tenderhearts" catalog ...probably 8 to 10 yrs. ago...they are basically just a heavy twine (or thinner rope...Macrame type wt) & are wound & glued together somehow...maybe could do one like a paper machee (sp?) project...using a shape (balloon) & wrap rope around with thinned glue...some of us use clear silicone for windows & doors on projects...so that would probably work. I did a terracotta pot last yr with rope & this silicone...here's a pic of it just planted last Spring...I've already planted it this yr. but no pics yet:
    {{gwi:133448}}

And then the rope in the beehives is just touched up with some light colored paint. I'll crop it for a closer look:
    {{gwi:145619}}

Hope this helps...thanks for lookin'! Jeanne S.