Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toadlilly

home made castle idea?

toadlilly
15 years ago

I went to San Antonio botanical garden, and saw a clay sleeping beauty castle planter-too cute. Has anyone seen this? Has anyone made a castle for the garden?, planter or not?, totem type?, maybe fairy/gnome type? I would love to see pictures! Thanks Carla

Comments (16)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I've seen some big and small fairy doors, I've made a smaller one but now I want to make a bigger one(2ft), oh, I make them out of hypertufa or cement., with stained glass in the windows, maybe a real doorknob....a whole castle sounds really cool!!!hmmmm....

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I cast castle shapes in cement using the toy sand shaping plastic molds sold for children to bring to the beach in the summer. They come out really cool. Even if they crumble a bit around the edges, its ok cuz that just makes them look old. I'll try to post a pic later. Am at work right now.

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

O, I would love to see pictures!!!

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trying pictures
    {{gwi:68042}}
    {{gwi:68043}}
    {{gwi:68044}}

• proudmary56
    15 years ago

that is just so beautiful. i would love to make that,for my yard. thanks for posting the picture.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Oh my, is that awesome! You might get more help on the hypertufa forum ... that project looks like something right up their alley. Although now that you have posted pictures, I'm sure garden junkers will figure something out using bits and pieces!

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

That looks like a fun pottery class project. It could be made in sections and cemented together later.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH! Nice!!! I bet I could make one out of strofoam and cement coat it, then mosaic it..or just scratch the brick pattern on the cement!!! Oh Ideas!!! Here is a cake I made from styrofoam...super easy!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:129659}}

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

I can see it now....instead of a gnome home, a gnome castle! styrofoam with a cement slush shoud work. At least for the basic components. Oh the ideas!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Wow toadlily,

That ismuch more beautiful than mine. Dh took the camera so I couldn't do a pic of mine the other day. Will try again later.

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea, WOW, my mom and I were just amazed at the simple beauty of it! We both are planning secret gardens, and now have decided we need a fairy garden in it. I love all this wonderful garden junk ideas!

Calamity J: Your cake is beautiful! How do you coat stryofoam with concrete? Is it weather proof?

concreteprimroses: I would love to see your castles when you can post a pic:)

Do you think one of those plastic toy castles could be covered with concrete???? Would it be weather proof??

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

That castle looks like one in an arabic country. Has anyone made one that is one that resembles one from an European country. I think the toy ones are more that style.

It seems to me that you could do something with the plastic toy castles. I think you could even take plastic containers and glue together and make the basic shapes and cover with a mortar. Has anyone ever used a spakle to cover something and use outside. I think they make a plastic(?) based one now.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Hi I hope this works (uploading pics). Here are my castles cast in concrete using the plastic sand molds as concrete molds. I wanted to make the black one look like rusty iron, but when I went to pick it up (black paint survived the NH winter) it was covered with ants. So I let them have their home back. These are just plain, I'n sure youguys can think of a lot more to do with them! I have more but they aren't in the garden. I want to paint some like granite and some like rusty iron, and I did a few like a burned castle.

{{gwi:145659}}

{{gwi:145661}}

{{gwi:74214}}

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Looking at the San Antonio pics it strikes me that a castle could be made using clay and other pots and mosaic and paint. Probaby kids pottery class attempts from yard sales would be great as they are more unique and colorful than store bought pots.

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I bought my sandcastle at Lowes(-; But I would think making out of plastic molds would be a really fun idea(-:

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Toadlilly, that castle is gorgeous. I need to put that photo in the Inspiration Album to SAVE. Its too good to let disappear off here.
    "Prim", I love the little castles you crafted. Especially that 3 part one.

I'm wondering if a plastic castle could be sprayed with that fleck stone stuff. The thicker the better. Then seal it good. ?? Might work.

I'm just amazed at the imagination that went into these castles.
    hugs, Karen

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH