Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Water Feature

kirkus
12 years ago

I posted this watering can, water feature in the past. (The watering can was a thift store find.) I had water plants in it before in my past photos...the raccoons murdered my plants! LOL So, this year I placed rocks in it and added glass floats I found at a local thrift store for $2 a piece! Those are garage sale aqua globes I placed around it at the base. :o) I love this water feature as it sits by our front porch and sounds so nice as we sit in our porch rockers. Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:146054}}

{{gwi:146056}}

Comments (14)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Looks so soothing! Love the blues around it & in it! And for dripping faucet(haven't got it fixed yet I see & that's a mighty big drip!)LOL Jan

• kirkus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jan, you're a hoot. :o) For those who haven't seen my drippy faucet, here it is... (a crystal for the drip) :o)

{{gwi:134509}}

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Wonderful posts and pictures! You have made me start my day with a smile. Thank you, Kirk and Jan.
    Marylee

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

REally great!
    Kathy

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

It does look cool and inviting, really inviting if your a raccoon, who needs the flowers. I love the glass floats. I want a new water feature on my deck, but just haven't found the right ingredients yet.
    Frou

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

As much as I liked the water plants previously, I really like the glass floats and rocks even better! Gosh, the only place to find those floats here is antique mall and you don't want to know what they cost. Lucky you to find them thrifting. I do have some of the aqua globes but use them on my indoor plants, keeps me from killing them with drowning. LOL.

I love how PERFECT that crystal is for your drippy faucet.
    hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

LOVE the glass floats in the barrel and the watering globes in the garden just give it extra pizazz! Your drippy faucet is really cool too....I'm looking for a faucet similar so I can copy the idea! Been missing you on the GJ forum...glad you posted!

• kylslil1
    12 years ago

Super cool! I love the rocks and all the blue.....course it seems you use a lot of blue. I can see why! :):)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Kirk...I loved it before...but I love it even more now with the rocks & glass floats! Beautiful! Your watering can is perfect for a fountain! You got a steal on those glass floats...I have been looking ever since I saw a GJer here use them in a galvanized oval tub...they are expensive!

Looks like a very peaceful place to be sitting on your porch! TFS! Jeanne S.

• daybeesgarden
    12 years ago

Neat water feature. I love the drippy faucet I thought it was a real drip and I wondered how you captured it in the photo (now I get it) awesome idea.
    Deb

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Love your water feature. I picked up a watering can with the recirculating motor in it at a GS about 6 months ago and was so excited because I could tell it was never used and I got the whole set-up for $0.50. This past weekend I went to set it up and guess I know why she never set it up! The motor is screwed to the inside ....but there is no opening for the water to get thru the spout!!! or for that matter a place for the water to go up in the can. The can is in tact with no holes....would you be so kind as to tell me where the openings should be drilled to make mine work? Or any other instructions I might need. The motor has only one place where a hose should be attached. I will have to purchase my own hose, which is not a problem. Thanks for any help you can give me. I would really like to get it working.
    Linda

• shpnquen
    12 years ago

I think the coons did you a favor in making you come up with an even better water feature than before. I don't know that I'd ever be able to find water globes anywhere, let alone that cheap!

My DH brought me home a couple of old faucets. Just need to decide what I want to do with them. Love the crystal "drip."

• kirkus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all of the nice compliments. Love our water feature...even without plants! :o) Your comments made my day! Thank you!

Oldcrafty, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the watering can...toward the top near the handle so water can fill up in the can. Our motor is down in the whiskey barrel and connects to a tube which flows into the watering can. I found a "plug" at a pond store and inserted the tube into that and then into the watering can. It was less than $1. Oh, I also made the holes in the spout bigger with a drill because they kept clogging up. If this doesn't make sense, please e-mail me and I can talk you through it. :o)

Happy junking everyone! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Kirk. It makes good sense. I was looking at mine again this morning and thinking.....WHY is the recirculating motor IN the watering can....my way of thinking was that it should be in the barrel! You can tell it came from the factory, installed and screwed inside the watering can. Makes no sense at all to me....I will surely get it out of the can and in the barrell. Thanks for the tip about drilling the spout holes bigger. I'm sure that task will be easier before installation.
    Have a great day and Thanks again.
    Linda

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company