Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What I did on my summer vacation ...

Posted by luna_llena_feliz (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 1:14

This past weekend my husband, a friend, her cousin and I went to a garden festival in Cable, Wisconsin. Us girls took some classes on how to make a hypertufa planter and a living wreath with sphagnum moss and succulents. Like a doofus, I forgot to bring my camera to the festival itself (it was in the car with my husband) so I didn't get pictures of the classes, the vendors and the gardens around the greenhouse where it was held. Any way, on the way home, we stopped at the Wisconsin Concrete Park in Phillips.

The Concrete Park was the brainchild of Fred Smith. Fred owned a tavern next door to the park and put all the broken glass and area rocks to good use. In 1948 he got a little bored and started creating concrete sculptures until he suffered from a stroke in 1964.

I took a bunch of pictures at the Concrete Park. If you click the link below, it should take you to my Photobucket album.

The hotel we stayed at was only $49/night! It was a ski resort built in the 1940s. Still in great shape with awesome views. Emeril Lagasse was once the chef there.

The garden center where the festival was specializes in succulents. If you want to learn more about them, go to www.simplysucculents.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Fest Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What I did on my summer vacation ...

I forgot to add ... one of the vendors at the festival was selling log planters. My husband was talking to them and learned out to make them. So next time we see a log that is the right size, it will be a planter. lol I love going to things like that and getting ideas. I was also scoping out their gift shop and getting inspiration.

o

those sculptures are truly amazing. thankyou for taking so many pictures. They are all so wonderful, I just can't comment on just oneor 2.
Kathy

o

You got some awesome pictures Kathy! The sculptures are very unique and the lodge where you stayed looks like it would be a very cool place. Love the big murals! Glad you and Bob had a good time too! Thanks for sharing with us!

o

I agree with Kathy, everything is amazing. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing.
Marylee

o

Those are great. Love all of it. The windchimes are a good inspiration pic too.

Glad you had so much fun.

o

What great pictures . That guy is an awesome artist. You find the best places to go !!!!!

o

Incredible artist! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

o

What a wonderful place!! That took a lot of time, energy and talent. Thank you for sharing your vacation with us!! JLily

o

Wow! Massive sculptures!!! Loved lookin' & maybe I can visit one day ...not that far away from WI! Was fun to see others had created the silverware chimes & such. Sounds like you had a great time, luna! TFS the pics! Jeanne S.

o

Luna, sounds like such a fun vacation and so many neat things to do and see. Thanks for sharing it with us! I'm so glad you had such a great time and learned a lot of new things to do for your garden!

hugs, Karen

o

Luna
not sure I have posted on this forum before but
WOW that was terrific
I am Canadian and have a good friend in Black River Falls Wisconsin whom I was thinking to visit, Might just be what I shall do, so as I could have a look , as well at that fantastic stone work.
Huge undertaking it was
And indeed thanks for making at available for others to see

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here