Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Free Rocks!

lindasewandsew
13 years ago

A large church near me was scraping the rocks off the building and getting rid of them. They delivered three dump trucks of clean rocks (the concrete all broke off when they dropped off the building and hit the ground) to my driveway and we'll be paving the whole back yard with them. A couple of neighbors also got a truck load. Linda

{{gwi:146523}}

{{gwi:146524}}

{{gwi:146525}}

{{gwi:146526}}

{{gwi:146527}}

{{gwi:146528}}

Comments (36)

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! How lucky you are!
    I would love to have some rocks, espcially
    free ones!

• daislander
    13 years ago

whoa! sweeet! and they delivered them! nice!

• User
    13 years ago

What a great deal. They could probably have sold the rocks to a landscaping firm for thousands of dollars.

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

Wow!!! How lucky are you? That would cost a fortune to purchase! My house was built in 1936 and there was a pile of the original stone left when I bought the house. My dad & I made a dry stack retaining wall that really turned out nice. I'm saving some for a gas fire pit. I would like to combine some with river rock to make a pathway, too. So many things you can do with stone!! How exciting for you!!

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

OH WOW That would cost a fortune here in Florida where Rocks are treasures brought from somewhere else!

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

you are so lucky!!! My bf & I occasionally go rock picking, but most areas are posted, so we never find many....hafta perhaps hit up a local farmer....what a great find!

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

That is great! Can't wait to see what you do with them!! I love rock too!

• kacram
    13 years ago

WOW WOW WOW WOW

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

WOWEE!! How lucky for you! Those are beautiful! Great score!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OMgosh, can't believe they took them off that beautiful church! But then I'm HAPPY that they found a beautiful yard to come to! WOW! Goldmine! (or Limemine!) Gorgeous rocks & kinda "flat" besides!!! Whoa, "tons" of work ahead! TFS! Jeanne S.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Wow, what a haul that was. I think you are one lucky lady. My DH would have a heart attack if I came upon such a deal, because I'd sure have to have some. Be sure and post pics of your project.
    Frou

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

That's amazing. When you post what you do with them, would you post a pic of the churchs new look too? I'm curious about why they would get rid of the rock facade.
    Kathy

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm looking for a photo of the church before they started and will post it with an after photo later. This church is very old and was probably remodeled several times. The rock started falling off the end of the building and it's amazing that so much stayed on with all the ground shakers here. They're removing the stone, retro fitting the building for earthquakes, and will install a new rock facing about 5 feet high.

Here in Cali, it's very expensive to take stuff to the dump, even more for rocks and concrete, so they were thrilled to be able to dump it a half a mile away. Linda

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

unbelievable...
    that they delivered not one but three loads to you and free???

that's unheard of these days.
    there's a stone quary around my area and to have a delivery, one dump truck at a time would be quite a cost..

you are very blessed to receive all of that...the stones probably are too..lol

best of luck to you, in any adventure you put them to use as.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

saying FREE ROCKS to me is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I want to come right over...LOL.
    hugs, Karen

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I am too jelllaasss to comment....lol! WHAT a Score!!! I Love recycling too!!

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Beautiful rock! OMG you can do so many things with it! You got 3 dumptruck loads delivered for free-AND the concrete just fell off of it when they dumped them in the yard! Too much!
    I'm glad you and the neighbors were able to save them.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The hardest part of this deal was to decide very quickly if I wanted tons of rocks poured into my yard on the same day. It probably costs a couple hundred dollars to dump a load like this at a dump here (welcome to Cali), and the nearest dump is about 35 minutes away. They were thrilled that they could dump it a half a mile away. It would have been too much work if the cement was on it. The concrete all broke off when it was pried off the church and hit the ground. I'm trying to hunt down a before photo of the church, so will post a before and after photo, probably much sooner than an 'after' pic of my yard, lol. Linda

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Lucky you! What an awesome free find. The rocks look fabulous. I'm glad they found good homes. God smiled on you that day! I can't wait to see your "after" pictures!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful rocks, lovely church building! I would put a 4 or 6 in. drain under the patio to the street just in case there was a big rain!LOL I know doesn't happen but might. It would take care of any problems & simply take broom & push any water towards drain(they look like shower drain only couple inches bigger. Especially since you have the hill there also. Will be beautiful. At the curb or where you have it come out it can be slanted with a small grate covering it. That is what we did when we found out back yard was no longer sloping away from house after 71 quake, the drain takes care of any standing water on the lawn. Might make matching bench too of concrete, rebar & mesh screen with rocks on top. No upkeep!! Jan

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

That church looks familiar. I reminds me of the church that my cousin was married in. Does it have a water fall at the back of the front stage? Anyway, you certainly was a lucky duck on that score. I would think those re-claim companies would have nabbed it and resold it to folks like you and I. Are you making rock walls? Cause that looked cool in that one photo or are you making paths and flooring?

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sunny, we have drains in the back yard left over from the pool demo. The yard is somewhat landlocked because of the way the pool was built, so we put new pipes in when the pool was removed. I love the bench idea.

Socalli, This church is in Walnut, on Suzanne St., although the adress is on the street next to it. I believe it's a Mormon church. We'll be paving the entire back yard and have already removed a stacked concrete planter and rebuilt it with this rock. It looks nice for paving and stacking.

Karen, Come right over, waving your flag, lol.

Linda

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Linda, ad in paper today for "rocks" flat type just $3.49 a square foot!!!! I think they are limestone but not color of yours. Probably didn't occur to anyone to sell the rocks. The dump would have sold them for sure!! They recycle asphalt, cement etc & used brick. I think you hit the jackpot!!! I was surprised they were that expensive!! Jan

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There's finally some progress in the back yard.

This is part of the floor in the back yard, where the pool used to be. The plan was to use the broken pool decking to cover this area, but these great rocks appeared in my driveway and we had to use them. There will be more gravel in between soon. The link at the bottom of this post tells where the rocks came from.

{{gwi:146529}}

We finally got the path finished on the slope. I drug a pile of flagstone home from a construction dumpster a couple of years ago and it was perfect for this. We filled in with a few of the nice rocks and some old junk.

{{gwi:146530}}

{{gwi:146531}}

{{gwi:146532}}

My nephew gave me this piece of manzanita, and planted it on the hill for me to hang stuff on. The bird house was a small useless greenhouse, with the plastic removed and license plates added. The yellow hangy thingy is made from old kitchen canisters lids. The terracotta one is made from garlic holders and whatever other lid I can find made of terracotta. I drill a small hole through the center and string them on electrical wire. There's a washer and knot under each one.

{{gwi:141026}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Rocks

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This new post ended up at the bottom of the Free Rocks post, instead of being a new post. Linda

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

Wow! Glad this ended up with that first post. Great looking work.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

You have really been busy! Looks great! Love the addition of tools & stuff in the walk, makes for an interesting pathway! Your glass house looks good with license plates & the garlic things make a great chimes! Love that branch! Jan

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree, great looking work! Building that path on your hill...what a challenge! Love all the goodies you added to the marvelous flagstone! Wow, a labor of love! You've come a long way!!! TFS! Jeanne S.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, It all takes a lot of time, but is moving along. The older plants are mostly still there, but we'll be adding more in the larger spaces before spring, and my son will be building a large potting bench sometime soon. I'll post photos as it progresses.

Linda

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I went to look at it on google maps, but their pic is from some years ago, still covered in rocks.

When i looked at our address last year I could tell it had just been done because my new flower bed was in the pic.
    Kathy

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

I have garden path envy!

Carol

• jlily
    12 years ago

How lucky you are!! You are doing some very interesting things with your "free rocks". From a rock lover, too. Thank you for sharing, Jlily

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again. Merry Christmas. It will be good to get more piles of 'stuff' used up and post photos of more of the yard. Linda

• TwoMonths
    12 years ago

Wonderful that you find all these great deals...and act on them.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi June, This was a fun find, partly because when my friend called me about the rocks DH was still asleep, I had no plan for using them and had about 2 minutes to make the decision to have tons of them dumped in my driveway. They were in a rush to take them to the dump. Needless to say, DH was NOT thrilled when he was rudely awakened, lol. When the huge pile was in the front yard, people kept asking what the heck we got them for. Now, since they're being installed in the yard, the same people say they'll gladly take the leftovers when we're finished. It's nice that the huge rock mountain is now a molehill.
    Linda

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! How awesome to come back to this posting of yours and see all the hard work you've done!!! I could only dream of getting a path like that on my slope, but dream I shall!lol! I love how you used those metal weights in the path! I am now on the hunt!!! I'd be happy to just get gravel down on my paths for now! Thanks again for posting and inspiring!!!