Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of paint for glass?

Posted by giggles1 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 5:58

I want to make a bunch of mushrooms (the bowl ontop of a vase type) and I'd really like to have them colored. You know, red w/ white dots and another set of "natural" colors.

I know it's been suggested to use nail polish in globes... does it really hold up? I'm also a couponer, so I have TONS of free nail polish! Even if I could get 2-3 years and then just re-do them!

Any other paints that will hold up?
Am I better off glueing stones on the top? The red ones always loose their color tho :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of paint for glass?

The nail polish was usually used on the inside of the globes and that made it last longer. I don't know about
fading tho. Some probably would. My red glass globs are holding their own-but in the shade-and have been outside a couple of years. Mybe the red depends on the brand....

o

Eons ago when someone put a bunch of swirled nail polish inside a fish bowl, it did eventually fade away.

There is a specially made glass paint, that's meant for making faux stained glass windows. One would assume it might not fade as quickly, but you never know.

However, if you are willing to re-do them every couple years, then the nail polish would probably give you a more intense color, because the glass paint is usually an opaque/translucent color.

o

Folk Art has 'Enamels" paint for glass such as mugs & wine glasses etc. It has to cure for 21 days before using which I did but I used the glassware inside. The bottle doesn't say anything about outdoor use.You can go to www.plaidonline.com & see if they have more up-to-date info of these paints. I just got that info off of Engine red color of enamel. Gallery glass is what someone used on shower door but I think it was kept in shade, it does fade in sun. I did some flowers on mom's door window between garage & covered patio & they have not faded because it is low light. Jan

o

There is a paint sold specifically for glass, and you can find it in good art stores. I've attached a link for buying it online at Dick Blick. The colors are very true and intense, and you bake it in the oven to cure. I've used in in several stained glass piece, including one that's been hanging in a west-facing location for 9 years now. Very intense sun, and no fading whatsoever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebeo Vitrea paint for glass

o

Looks like lynnski's suggeston is the the best bet, but here is a link to a blog making painted drinking glasses that you bake in the oven. Its using Sharpie paint pens.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Star drinking glasses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here