Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaker hose questions

Posted by jacal 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 6:45

I have 100 feet of soaker hoses running along flower beds (mostly hosta, azalea, berries, peonies, tomato plant) on the left side (north) of my house, and 150 ft. of soaker hoses on the right side (impatients, evergreen, hosta) with a y to water my front yard garden (roses, evergreen, basil) along the foundation (the hose at the y crosses the sidewalk). I bought the rubber hoses at Sears and the one connected to y in the front yard garden burst in two sections last year, so I returned it to Sears last week (7 year warranty) before I laid them down this year and exchanged it for a new one, and the new one failed in two places after I used it twice, so I exchanged it again. This time I made sure I didn't turn the water pressure up very much and made sure not to place the hose near the rose bush thorns (one part of the soaker hose is a few feet off the ground away the roses), but I don't know why this hose keeps failing on me, and right in the same spot, on the ground, next to the basil, and near the rose bush. I am wondering now if birds or bees could be pecking on it, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me regarding why these hoses are failing in the same spot in the front garden (it can't be buried in this area). I really want the soaker hoses to work well, it's the best $60.00 I ever spent on this house when it comes to saving time and work!

Additionally, I wanted to know how long I should run the soaker hoses in Zone 6b, there are dripping a cup of water every five minutes on the low water pressure I have on. Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaker hose questions

You would probably get more info if you go to the garden web forum page and then go to the irrigation forum. There is a soaker hose post there now.
Since this is the grden JUNK forum questions like this should be put on the conversations side.
Main garden junk page--Top of page has 'discussions' and to the side says 'switch to conversations'.

o
RE: Soaker hose questions

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here