Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish... from COCONUTS!

Posted by giggles1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 6:45

Last night we went out to eat at the Nauti Turtle in Fort Myers. They have a gift shop w/ T-shirts, hats, etc, BUT ALSO local artist stuff.

I really liked these Puffer Fish hanging from the ceiling. Well, at $30, not THAT special! LOL

Started checking them out, and they were COCONUTS, painted bright florescent colors, and the fins & tail were palm leaves painted. I just Googled & couldn't find the Puffers, but I did find these:
http://www.coralreefphotos.com/coconut-fish-coconut-art-local-curacao-arts-crafts/

It doesn't take an artists talent! Pretty basic. These can be put on stakes OR hung. How cute to have them along a walkway!
Having just bought a home in Cape Coral, I've been trying to decorate w/ bright, happy parrots, fish & lizards around the pool/lanai area. Being dried coconuts, it's a cheap project & should last for a LONG time. Like the author of the article said, these fish can be painted LOTS of ways. I think I may go back & get that Puffer tho... just for a sample. I'll post a pic if I do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish... from COCONUTS!

giggles1...those are amazing. So neat and colorful. I really like them. My daughter has a fish/underwater theme going in her bathroom and one of those would fit right in. Thank you for sharing.
Marylee

o

Great coconut fish! I would like to make them myself.
But you know me-procrastenation.....
A great site too for underwater photos!
I looked and looked.....

o

What a great use for a coconut! Those are just as cute as can be...thanks for sharing!

o

I'm wondering what was used for the fins and tails. Any ideas?

o

laura - on the ones I saw, it was palm leaves cut to shape. I would expect them being all recycled yard stuff! The palm leaves have a hard brown section near the trunk - I was going to try cutting some of that to shape.

I didn't end up buying one, just too much & it's pretty basic. The ones I saw were neon or bright spray paints w/ squiggles of glitter paint even. I thought this was an excellent way to use up the little tubes of leftovers I have everywhere.

Sadly, I'm flying back to NY tonight, but I'll work on them there. That's where all my supplies are anyway, just need to find coconuts! lol

Anyone know if Michaels or AC Moore or any craft store carry coconut shells? I'd like to toy with some until I get back in 3-4 weeks. Maybe I should pack some in my suitcase since their FREE here... I'm sure airport security would love that! lol

o

Those are wonderful. Even up here in NH we sometimes see the whole coconut in the husk in grocery stores. Not sure how or how long to dry them tho.
I love how the husk end is a perfect little pouty mouth.
Good luck with this project. Be sure to post pics.
Kathy

o

Why couldn't you use craft foam for the fins????? Or balsam wood painted??????

Ms. Faith

o

I imagine you could use anything for the fins as long as they were attached well. Those are so darn cute. Like Kathy said, they have cute pouty mouths. Now I'll be on the look out for coconuts. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here