Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Help!!! Plaster Pedestal is disintegrating...

nicole__
14 years ago

A plant shop was closing,so they left a free sign and this chipped plaster pedestal plant stand. DH used taping mudd to repair the chips, I applied a paint wash and lacquer to it. But the rain is tearing it apart!!!!! I put a piece of granite on the top,it's sitting on a ceramic tile, so the water runs away from it. But... the sides are showing white plaster as it falls apart! Any way to save it??????

HELP!!!!!!

{{gwi:147395}}

Comments (17)

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

You can save it by putting it up on the porch out of the weather. The chalk-like plaster will always absorb moisture even from the air. I have lost several pieces in years past even when Polyurethan coated. I do currently have a plaster pedestal out on my porch for three years now. If I move it around the white chalk rubs off of the bottom but it is not melting structurally. Hope this helps.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone used marine grade lacquer? Is that doable?

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I have two LARGE elephants that are plaster
    They were given to me for the garden. I
    would never have bought plaster ones for
    the garden, but right now they are poked
    UNDER a house, out of the weather until I
    can figure out what to coat them with.
    They are about 27 inches tall and are painted.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Use penetrating epoxy or penetrating polyester (such as Cure-Rot).
    Paint both the inside and outside of the pot.
    It penetrates into the plaster, fortifies it, seals it completely from moisture.

The only thing is that it leaves a glossy surface which you will have to refinish to what you want.

dcarch

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Great pedestal! I have heard of the product that dcarch recommended...I'd give it try! Love your stone work too!

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

What a pity they made this beautiful pillar from plaster rather than concrete! It's gorgeous where it is, goes perfectly with your wall, but I'd recommend you repurpose it for indoor use. It's too pretty to let it disintegrate outdoors.

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

I was gona suggest bondo all over it, including top and bottom to seal...but the product mentioned above sounds better. Sometimes the 'fix' is more costly than replacing tho.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Really pretty paint job did you do it>I have a foo dog that is slowly being eaten up,probably acid rain. But I bought a plaster face at a scratch and dent and used drywall mud to patch then painted.Keep it just under the dripline of th e roof and it is fine.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dcarch.....THANK YOU!!!! I did an internet search & it looks promising. I'll try calling local boat shops before I order online. I really appreciate that you all tried to help!!!!! I really just want to save it....and keep the look.

Goldenpond....yes. I did the faux paint wash. :0)
    {{gwi:147396}}

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Nicole,

1. Just make sure that the plaster is absolutely dry before you apply the epoxy.

2. Try not to do it on a hot day, the epoxy mix gets cured too quickly.

3. Try not to mix too much epoxy. The mixture is exothermal. It heats up and cures too quickly.

dcarch

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

I'd want to save it, too, Nicole, nice pedestal!

I've got a plaster pedestal I want to use outside. Gonna get some Cure-Rot so I can finally use it out on the porch. Thanks, DC.

~tenderlee

• mrstn123
    10 years ago

What kind of paint could you use over the cure-rot? I have a plaster pedestal I want to save also.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

LOL--My elephants are STILL under the house--
    Procrastination should be my middle name!

• gloriav
    10 years ago

How can I remove the original paint from the plaster pedestal planter? It has a design in all 4 sides. The paint is peeling and would like to repaint it

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Thanks dcarch. I have a couple on my porch ill treat next summer.

Beautiful use in the garden, nicole. That whole area is lovely. I hope the txt works for you.
    Kathy

• Katy Ingle
    8 years ago

I have a plaster plaque in my front yard in memory of my Dad & my son Jody.The weather has been hard on it I do a lot of craft's & wood work I was trying to find something to put on it so it would chip anything so tried my Mod Podge 2 coat's and let it dry good and sprayed Thompson's water seal. It worked great. Thank you Katy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!