Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doodys_gw

wall sconces

doodys
13 years ago

This is something I salvaged from dumpster and I just knew what I would do with it.It had that normal 'gold' paint as a lot do so I painted it this black color,added some half-marbles and now had solar lights by drive entrance.

{{gwi:147402}}

Comments (19)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

What a great idea! Love the way it turned out...the black really pops against your fence. And what is that great looking plant growing there??

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great save & great re-purpose! (look wrought iron, now!) I also love that flower painting on the board...is this your garbage can hiding place? Looks good! TFS! Jeanne S.

• doodys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that plant,I believe, is a Loropetalum which I got from Walmart.The pic to the right is just some flowers I wood burned from a pattern but which due to the sun is fading.This area is located as you go through the front gate.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

The black really looks great with the copper lights(looks new & expensive) great save!! The painting must be even nicer in person as you can't tell it is wood burned so computer, must have a dimensional look, I like it way it is & the plant really completes the scene- well you great colored fence helps lot too. I love weathered fences!Jan

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That's a cool idea, I see sconces at GSs all the time. That is so funny, DS made fun of me for years for painting everything in site with gold spray paint. Now, I'm on the black band wagon too. And I'm on the solar light wagon too lately.
    Frou

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

I love it!!! I just put 2 smaller sconces that I got at a GS into my "not sure what to do yet" pile, but I love your idea! Now for the solar lights.....

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Great idea!!!

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Doody, that's brilliant! I have a pair of sconces I took off my d.r. wall, I've been wanting to do something with. I put solar light on other things. Never dawned on me to put them on the sconces. Love it. Yours looks really nice!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I can't believe a friend of mine who is learning to thrift store shop and make garden junk under my tutalige, just came over with a pair of wall sconces and I was sooo excited to tell her about your idea, she is going to do it!!!

• doodys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wonders never cease to amaze me..:)

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Great idea - lovely vignette.
    -Sprout

• indylisa
    13 years ago

I know what I will be looking for at GS...great idea..Thanks

• cait1
    13 years ago

Came out great! I love your fence, too!

• dwyman
    13 years ago

What a neat idea, just so happens I have a twin of that sconce! That sconce was in the Home Interiors line in the early 1980's, it was originally painted flat black and sold for over $20 :) Thanks for the great idea, I have some of the same solar lights so I can get one of these together in a jiffy, it should look nice on the outside wall of the garden shed next to my pond.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I like it in black with the copper solar lights. It looks really good with your wooden fence. Great idea for sconces that cost a dime a dozen around here!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

What a great idea never would have thought of using solar lights like that! Going garage saling with a new item on my search list!! Thanks for sharing

• FlowerGardener
    13 years ago

I was looking at this post as I love solar lights and was admiring the unique way of using them. Then I remembered that I have a table style black iron candle holder that held two pillar type candles. I got it from home interiors years ago and could never part with it. Well I got it out and we had two full size black color changing solar lights already here. I just took the stake off of the light and put it into the candle holder portion which has a mediterranean style pattern cut into the metal they fit perfectly and the cutouts let the color changind light shine thru. The candle holder solar light is now on out patio table.

I am not sure where there are directions on how to post photos to this website or I could have showed you how very simple this was and how nice it looks.

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Simply awesome !

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

I have my eye out for a chandelier that I can use for this purpose, to put on my deck.
    -Sprout

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County