Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

How to use old garden hose???

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

Well one of the hoses the garden club uses downtown has sprung a big leak so we'll be getting a new one. How do I keep the old one out of the landfill? I will try a couple of Edna's pots on rebar divided by hose segments. And maybe handles for my 5 gal. buckets, tho I think smaller diameter hose would be better for that.

Any other ideas?

tia

Kathy

Comments (18)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I know that someone posted this ages ago but it is still a cool idea for an old hose(s).

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Hose Topiary

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

I've seen pictures of a wreath made with a hose. It was cute with a pair of pretty garden gloves as part of the bow. Also saw hose used as webbing in an old chair frame.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the topiary, not sure my back yard can do it justice, and I have only one hose. Wreath and webbing I never thought of either.
    Thanks to both of you.
    Kathy

• rafor
    13 years ago

I need an old garden hose to cut up because I want to hang a long wooden swing on a branch of the big tree that's in my front yard. I want to paint the wooden swing some bright wild color and then I just know my 85 year old mother wouldn't be able to resist swinging on it!!!! I need the cut hose to protect the tree limb from the rope that will hold the swing. But....all that will have to wait until we finish the greenhouse!

• uglyoodie
    13 years ago

Punch more holes in it and use it for a dripper hose

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I think I remember someone using hose to cover a flower pot or some sort of container...using Silcone II ... was it lindasewandsew? Can't remember...but turned out pretty good looking!
    Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rafor, I'll save you a piece! My mom is 81, but she doesn't live with me - 25 miles away.
    Kathy

• giggles1
    13 years ago

I've always wanted to make the classic "beehive".
    Coil it up in the shape of a cone, cut entrance, paint (use that plastic paint), decorate.
    Tried finding it on the web for you, found this retail beehive hose holder... basic idea is the same
    you could actually make your own holder FROM the old hose too!!!
    http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Shelter/Gardening/16-Chic-Gardening-Accessories.html

$179... yea, right!!!!
    This should get the brains on here clicking with innovative ideas!!!
    MUCH prettier and only $1-2!!! LOL!

I had to purchase rope a few weeks ago, my daughter got the lawn mower at my mom's stuck in a wet area. Mom's passed away recently, no rope around. Went to Lowe's, bought thick yellow nylon rope... figured I could use it for a beehive after. Paid $6.xx. Haven't gotten to it yet, but who doesn't love a beehive?!?!?!
    HTH

• nonacook
    13 years ago

If you need some short hoses, buy some hose 'ending' pieces and make a 'new' hose. Bill cut a new hose
    for me and made several short ones! I'm still
    using them.
    I have always liked the wreath idea!

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I use sections of old garden hose, with sturdy wire strung through it, for handles on various heavy items. I've also tried using small sections of hose as insulators for electric fence with varying results. Some hoses (I think maybe it was a washing machine hose) are made with conductive material that needless to say renders them useless as insulators. Ouch! Also I have used garden hose to attach our clothesline to a tree. It prevented damage to the tree.

Unfortunately these uses don't keep entire hoses out of the landfill; they salvage only small segments of hoses.

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

a few years back there were posts about using old fan blades painted like flowers (sunflowers?) and they used the old green hose as stems. they nailed them to their shed wall or fence wall or something. I always loved those ideas and had started saving fan blades to make some,too.
    kudzu/cherry

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Scroll down the linked page for some fun ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: wreath ideas

• Crafty Gardener
    13 years ago

I used an old garden hose to make a hosepipe wreath.

Here is a link that might be useful: hosepipe wreath

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a lot of great ideas! I love the beehive and the hose wreaths. And I could use a couple of very short hoses actually. I like the idea of making my own "frog" for holding up flowers, one of the suggestions in the hosepipe wreath link from crafty.
    Last nite I was watering the garden club beds downtown. I was near the building that I manage which has a restaurant on the first floor with tables outside. I was using a city water supply and the pressure is so high it blew the watering wand off the hose (hose threads are wearing out). The hose went flying every which way with water shooting out! It would be a better story if I'd gotten the diners all wet, but thank goodness the spraying missed them. So the garden club is going to get 2 new 50 foot hoses, and I'm going to retire the old ones totally, all 100 feet. (They are at least 20 years old.) So the pressures on to use them up!
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I like the wreath idea too!

• hostarhodo
    13 years ago

Concerning the swing are you using rope or chain. Would they fit through the hose so that the rope or chain are not exposed, would entend the life of the rope. A person could get fingers caught in the chain or rope burn, some ropes are prickly. Wouldn't want your mom to get hurt.

Betty

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

~~ One more thing to look for at rummage sales -- OLD HOSES .The ideas are wonderful !

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, I just ran across the site that made the "pot garden hose" ...lindasewandsew's ...here's the link. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: lindasewandsew'sGardenHosePot

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations