Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

Lots of Fairy Gardens!

luvs2click
11 years ago

Oh my! I'm exhausted! Getting ready for my big show this weekend, I've got 62 fairy gardens ready, plus tons of other stuff. Been working late hrs. getting everything ready and figuring out prices (the hardest part). Here's a few, many more pictures if you click the link. zzzzzz..... need some sleep!

{{gwi:147502}}
one side of the garage

{{gwi:147503}}
other side of the garage!

{{gwi:147504}}

{{gwi:147505}}

{{gwi:147507}}

{{gwi:147510}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots more pictures!

Comments (35)

• jlily
    11 years ago

These should be a hit. They are adorable!! I love the wagon. I love the baskets~~I love them all~~Good luck to you . Gets some ZZZZZZ's. JLily

• socks
    11 years ago

I've never seen anything like these before! You are so imaginative in your use of materials. Thank you for sharing. I'm trying to set up some things in the yard so when the grandkids come they will think it's fun, not miniatures like yours, but you give me inspiration.

I suppose you have to transport your gardens. It's a lot of work, and I wish you a successful weekend.

Susan

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Exquisite!! These are so awesome Luvs....I have covered my keyboard with drool...pardon me while I go clean up.

Best of luck at your show this weekend too!

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Amazing! I wish I was in Ohio this weekend!
    Kathy

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Amazing in both quality and quantity!!! Where are you going to be this weekend. I live in NE Ohio

• kim546
    11 years ago

WOW ! yaaaaaayyy, you did a great job :) I sold my Fairy Garden in a wagon and several other things: penny gazing ball, teacup chandelier, teacup sconces, Totem birdbath,plateflowers,etc. a little over $400 worth. My thanks to all of you for the inspiration.My pics are on my phone, don't know how to get them out of phone. Working on it. Good luck to you this weekend :) Kim

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I guess it is a labor of love. I do so enjoy making them and especially raking in the money (let's be honest here!). My show is at Quailcrest Farm in Wooster - link below. It is an awesome place - many gardens to wander through, beautiful grounds and a really nice huge greenhouse. It's a popular wedding venue. It's an outdoor show and it is just delightful. All garden themed things and very unique items. Lots of money floating around! I usually spend quite a bit of money there myself, so many interesting things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quailcrest Farm

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

I love love love your work!!!I love them all!!!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you did well, Kim. Will look forward to seeing some pictures when you get that figured out! I had 2 ladies come to the house to shop early today and already made my booth fee ($150) so I'm feeling good about that!

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful spot for your sale! Have a great time & make lots of money!! So many neat containers & ideas you have incorporated into your fairy gardens! Bet you get lots of ahs when people see them! Jan

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

OMG!! They're awesome!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Lucky me. I've already made plans to visit Quailcrest with my grandchildren Saturday. I'll be sure to look for your fairy gardens

mao

• cnm1
    11 years ago

I am going to try and make it Sun. Trying to recruit some friends to go!!! It looks like gardening heaven!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's great gals!! Be sure to look me up and hopefully I will still have some of my mind left!

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

I am so impressed and in need of a fairy garden. I hope your show goes great. I have the perfect place and will start looking for a fairy house at the thrift store. I have seen the houses before but didn't know I needed one. Where do you get fairies?

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

What do you charge for them? The dirt alone is a lot of $$$ HOW do you transport them?! I am thinking I need one on my porch....I wonder if the sedums will survive our winters. Thanks for the inspiration!!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

frankielynn - I order the fairies online from www.miniature-gardens.com. Super people to work with and very fast shipping.

arcy - they range anywhere from $16 for the smallest to $70 for the largest (wagon). The show is 13 miles from my home - so I use my mini-van with the seats out to transport them. Only took 4 trips! One load was all my tables and benches, etc. for my display, so 3 loads of gardens. We are in zone 5 and I recommend removing the minis and leaving them sit out all winter. The sedums come back with a vengence.

By the way, the show was fantastic. Out of approx. 100 planters I brought home 16. Will do a farmer's market or try to sell them on craigslist or facebook.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

WOW! Great sales, luvs! Fantastic work! Loved the blue wagon one! You've built up a good reputation of your works! (& hard work!) TFS! Jeanne S.

• cadillactaste
    11 years ago

I have a small fairy garden myself...but was amazed at all the time and work you've put into those...I am considering doing an outdoor one. That or a childhood memory garden with hopscotch pavers...

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

those are really nice! You are very clever . . . I'm glad you did well.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

Love them! Would love to create one. Would you be willing to list some of the plants you used and maybe the growing mediums you used? Would be forever grateful. Thanks, Jen

• frances_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!!! I love these. You did an awesome job, keep up the good work.

• flowers12
    11 years ago

Wow!!! I've heard about fairy gardens but never actually saw one so wasn't interested in them. Looking at yours I now see what I've been missing. These are absolutely fantastic and the time and energy you put into them is amazing. I'm sure everyone that bought one is loving it. Kudos!!!
    Marilyn

• flowers12
    11 years ago

I can't keep from looking again and again. What detail you have put into these. I just love them!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Surprised to see this thread near the top again - thanks all!

jensyen - I use mostly perennial groundcovers, such as any form of sedum, hen & chicks, creeping speedwell, English daisy, pincushion flower, heron's bill, thyme, Irish moss, perennial allysum, miniature yarrow, etc. Anything you find in the groundcover section of a greenhouse is going to be very hardy and handles drought very well.

As far as soil, this year I went to a landscape store and got a scoop of top soil in the back of the truck (12.00), and with a shovel, mixed in several bags of Miracle Gro potting soil along with regular cheap potting soil. Next year I will also add peat moss or something because it was pretty heavy dirt. (things grew well in spite of it) Usually I just mix 1 bag of plain cheap potting soil with about 1/3 of a large bag of Miracle Gro soil in my wheelbarrow. You don't want your ground too rich because things will overgrow your container soon enough, without the addition of much fertilizer.

I still have 3 gardens left from my spring show - they've been sitting in my flower bed all summer, very neglected. They are looking wonderful and I will have to trim things up real soon to keep them under control. That's the beauty of using these kind of plants, not much care involved. They also winter over just sitting out in the flower bed. Make sure you have holes drilled in the bottom of your container though.

• cadillactaste
    11 years ago

You answered a question that had been on my mind...Wintering them! So ground cover as a typical planting selection ;O) so helpful...I have an indoor one. It is relatively easy to manage. Would love to create an outdoor one. But was concerned with if I had to bring it inside. As to the size of container...now I know I am no longer limited to containers...thanks do much for such great information.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I recommend bringing in all the minis for the winter, but leave the container sit out. Mine has been going strong for 4 years now - and it sits all winter covered with snow.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great information. I am planning to give one a try. A nice trader just sent me 10 hens and chicks and several other small succulants. I have a rusted out wheelbarrow that I might turn into a village scene. I probably have tons of ceramic nic nacs tucked away that I can use too. You're a great inspiration. Thanks again. Jen R

• cadillactaste
    11 years ago

Your post:

I recommend bringing in all the minis for the winter, but leave the container sit out. Mine has been going strong for 4 years now - and it sits all winter covered with snow.

I'm a bit confused:

Okay I'm either to tired to figure this out...are you meaning small mini containers need brought indoors to winter. Large containers are okay outdoors? Or something else entirely? If large containers are alright...then what size do you deem large enough to withstand winter?

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Minis - as in the fairies, furniture and all mini accessories in your garden. The pans with plants can sit out all winter, but the freezing temps will definitely not be good on the accessories. Left mine out too long once - early freeze and my ceramic mushrooms all broke!

• cadillactaste
    11 years ago

Okay that makes sense! Plants can stay and accessories go into storage. Thanks for clearing it up. ;O)

• Dort
    11 years ago

These are amazing! I am so inspired to try one (or two or three) of my own. I have tons of old containers sitting in the barn, I knew something would pop up on here that I could use them for. I love this site! Thanks so much for sharing your dirt and plant info.
    Blessings,
    TD

• cadillactaste
    11 years ago

Make sure to share a photo of those inspired gardens you make TD.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

What a great thread!!! I'm amazed that the largest (the wagon) was only sold for $70. Around my neck of the woods you could get A LOT more. I saw a hypertufa trough of sedums sell for $90!!!! That was without any minis and nothing special for the sedums.
    I had a tree taken down and made them leave the stump so I could make a fairy garden around it. My husband has been lookIng at me like I'm nuts because he has no idea what that means. As soon as he gets home I'm showing him these pics :)

• goldenpond
    11 years ago

I love the fairy gardens too. Even though I have two and a half acres lately I have become obsessed with mini gardens. Also in April the Botanical garden has a Fairy festival and i take the Grand girls to view all the fairy-licious stuff!
    ~tanya

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm