Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another of my old gates

Posted by chocolateis2b8 5OH (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 9:24

Years ago I found 4 old gates rusting away in my friends woods. He said he was going to haul them away with his next load of scrap. I of course told him over my dead body and he knows me well enough to know I meant it, lol. So now they lean against my house as vine holders.

I already showed a pic of the ones in back. Here is a pic of one of the ones up front. It holds a beautiful red clematis, which is done blooming, shame I didn't get a pic of it when it was. But now it still adds interest behind my hydraneas and hostas.

Don't look at the weeds, I'm purely organic and with 4 acres to weed, there are always some, lol.

Photobucket

Believe it or not, there is also another gate under the other window, it's just kind of hidden under a very happy honeysuckle and hydrangea at the moment. When the hydrangea is done blooming, I plan to cut it and the honeysuckle back a bit so the gate shows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another of my old gates

is that the north facing side of your house?
the hostas and ferns are in heaven in that location~

very calming to look at..

o

It's lovely, chocolateis2b8!

o

Lucky you, to have so many wonderful gates. Your yard looks great and the gates are perfect trellises. I have one gate on my front wall with my house numbers on it. Thanks for the pix.
Frou

o

your garden looks beautiful. Love the hydrangea. I bet the clematis was pretty on the gate. good save!
Kathy

o

Great gates, Chocolateis2b8! -such welcoming trellises for your vines. Thanks for showing. = : )

o

Haha! Weeds? What weeds? Your garden and your gates are lovely!

o

I love the gates!! I have a couple myself with clematis..love your garden!!
Lisa

o

That's very pretty and I have some serious zone envy too!

Few of those plants will grow here.

o

Old gates are so useful and you have a beautiful garden to put them in!!!!

o

Yep does look cool I love the flowers.

o

Gorgeous garden! I remember we had a gate just like that at my mother's old house. Although hers probably wasn't as wide as yours. It's amazing that something so utilitarian could look so pretty back then. I was just discussing that with an antique dealer the other day when I was looking at a gorgeous antique sewing machine cabinet. When they made something like that years ago, they made it pretty as well. The gates look great in your lovely garden!

o

Great gate & wide, thought at 1st it was a bed. Lovely yard with all the flowers & everything so green!! Jan

o

Beautiful yard and the gate looks so pretty there behind the hydrangeas. Cheryl

o

My friend had two gates, similar to the one shown. She had her husband make us each a garden bench - similar to the kind made from bed frames, and using the gate as the 'back' of the bench. Perfect trellis for morning glories. I love old gates and grates.

o

Love old gates about as much as old barn doors! Great save on these gates, chocolate! They sure make super trellis' for your gardens! TFS! Jeanne S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here