Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic Garden Bench - protection

Posted by Cbrummel Kansas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 9:42

I made a mosaic garden bench last year with marine quality plywood (weather protected), used a concrete type adhesive for the tiles and mosaics. The smoother pieces continue to pop off. Is there some sort of adhesive or protection I can pour over the top of it to keep this from happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic Garden Bench - protection

I'm also interested in this. Have you tried posting on the stainglass and mosaic forum?

o

No, but definitely will

o

You never mosaic wood for out doors.It will not hold up no matter how much you try to protect it.

o

If you could frame it and possibly pour a clear plastic hard coat into the frame maybe 1/2 inch thick.?? Saw something like this on DIY network, but can't remember what base they used for the tiles. Also used this method for a countertop with holes drilled to let light through. They filled the holes with it so it "lit up". That's all I know.

o

All I know is they use backerboard or cement board I think, not plywood(layers of wood & glue) if any moisture got into the edges so plywood it would swell in places & that causes problems too. Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here