Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maemae0312

Forks???

maemae0312
16 years ago

OK I just found this forum and now I am really wishing I didnt throw that old bowling ball away...........so my question is I have a box of misc of utensils, mostly forks and knives, what can I do with these? I dont want to regret taking them to Goodwill. Tell me so I will get them out of the back of my car.

Thanks!

Mary

Comments (22)

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

hi mary!!
    I made a windchime out of mine(-: but I have seen some really cute birdfeeders with utensils glued on to them too. you better save them(-: or at least a few(-: can't wait to see pictures(-:

• foxygrandma9
    16 years ago

My thoughts exactly, wind chimes. Then I love windchimes.LOL

• saywhatagnes
    16 years ago

Hurry Mary, go get them out of the trunk! LOL!

IÂm with Cindee and Foxygrandma ~ Windchimes!
    I love making wind chimes with forks and spoons and utensils and such.
    In the FAQ section thereÂs a gorgeous example of one with beads, forks and spoons made by Butterbeanbaby.
    Scroll down and look for ÂSilverware WindchimeÂ.

IÂve also seen old forks used for plant markers by tucking the empty seed packet on the tines and sticking the handle down in the dirt.

Have fun, post pictures!

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

I love, love, love the plant marker idea. I have a few forks that I can do that with. I think I'll try to laminate the seed packet, though, so it lasts most of the summer.
    Nancy

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

You can bend the forks and use them as hangers. Drill a hole in the top and attach to 'say a fence' and hang something from it...maybe a windchime made with forks and spoons. Utensils can also be glued at the handle to the bottom of plates or cups after they are curled at the tip to form feet for bird feeders or even inside serving plates.

• sistersunnie
    16 years ago

I've seen utensils uses as plant stakes as well, its cool looking. Same garden had plates buried half way or maybe half plates as a back border. Had annuals in the bed and called it her dish garden.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Some teacup bird feeders have a spoon glued on the saucer.
    But I agree --windschimes...

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Are they stainless steel or silver?? The silver ones are easy to drill through. The stainles steel ones are impossible. Please post pics.

• crystal01
    16 years ago

I've seen forks glued to a decorated board and used as note holders.

• tigerwiggy
    16 years ago

I've seen utensils flattened and then used to mosaic outdoor tables. The table was created so that it looked like it was set with a plate and the silverware. It was very cute.

My family went camping with a camping group and they all had taken the blue speckled "tin" cups and hung silverware from it as chimes. They drilled holes in the bottom of the cup and then drilled holes in the silverware and strung it with what looked like fishing line.

If you garden you could use the forks as name holders for your plants, sort of like the card holders that come in flowers from the florist. You could bend the spoons sort of like a tiny shepherd's hook and put water in the bowl of the spoon and have water for the butterflies. If the spoons are big enough maybe do the same with birdseed. Maybe with the knives make a "box" on a hard frame to use as a picture frame. If the knives had pretty designs in the handle you could cut off the blade part and do the same thing with just the handles for a fancier look.

That is all that comes to mind right now, but there are lots of very creative ladies here and I'm sure someone can offer some unique ideas.

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

Here's mine - made by a friend. She uses old kitchen items like sifters, cookie cutters, graters, etc. for the top. She uses stainless and/or silver, preferably a silver one for the middle. The silver ones, make better sound, she says. She also flattens them.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My photos

• kirkus
    16 years ago

Check out craftyjanjan's recent posting. You will see some beautiful windchimes there...inspiring! Can't wait to see what you do! Have fun with your treasures! Kirk

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

I like the forks as plant markers but instead of using the seed packet write the name on metal sheeting cut to whatever size would fit the fork. I go to estate sales and see unwanted silver flatware all the time, now I have a good reason to buy it - besides the windchime of course!

Suzanne

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

I love it, Kelpie!

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

Arlene, I loved your photos and got a great idea for what to do with my little red wagon when it's not being used as my "potting assistant" wagon. It'll look nice with my watering can and pots when it's off duty. Thanks!

Suzanne

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I just recently got a bunch of them and I'm making the braclets with a crystal hanging on it.

And I think I'll make some of the twisty fork pins that someone posted a link for (on the post about table knives)

patti

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

Here is a link to come cutlery that I used for plant markers.

Here is a link that might be useful: cutlery plant markers

• sweets98
    16 years ago

As others have pointed out, it depends on what kind of material they are made from! Silver can be drilled and painted and bent better than Stainless.

I have two windchimes on the front porch made from silverware. One has a small enamel lid for the base and the other, a grater. For the one, I wrapped metal around the handles to tie the fishing line to to hang the silverware from and the other, I just tied the fishing line really tight around and they stay put :)

I recently saw a silverware windchime at a flea market made of all old silver pieces. They used the fork for the base and then bent the tines in different directions to hold the spoons. They put beads on the lines, too like someone mentioned can be found in the FAQ site, however, this person used pony beads and they just aren't as pretty as the picture in the FAQ!

• butch_idaho
    16 years ago

This was just a test run, but here is a fork plant marker, I made this morning, I put the fork in a vise, and used a blow torch and a pair of needle nose plyers to swirl them around it is a stainless fork, and I had to get the metal red. I will have to make more of these, I like the look.

butch

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures !!!

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

I like the plant markers with the cutlery craftygardner, nice, nice view of your yard from your deck too.

Suzanne

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

Bend them slighty and make cabinet & drawer pulls... Can't drill through them... use wire.. or industrial strength glue.

{{gwi:147898}}

For Kitchen Curtains:

{{gwi:147900}}

Or my personal favorite!!! (Scroll On By) if easily offended

The Angry Dieter's Fork : Fork You! LOL

{{gwi:147902}}

Here is a link that might be useful: OR Try this - Utensil Art

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

A fork trellis...

See link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fork Trellis