Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireflies & Bottle Bugs

Posted by luvs2click 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 10:13

They're SWARMING! Photos of bottle bugs and fireflies made from old Christmas bulbs that I made for a show this past weekend. They literally FLEW away - people loved them. Hope you've enjoyed the photos - it's been awhile since I've posted, but I try to visit the board at least once a week to see what you've all been up to. Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots more photos from my show and of my garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireflies & Bottle Bugs

Arlene, those are really cute and so creative. I love them. Thank you for sharing.
Marylee

o

Those are great. I can see why they FLEW off the shelf!!! Are the christmas light ones done on a magnet? Or how does one display them in the garden. I can see them hovering over a potted plant.....can they be staked? They are just tooooooo cute. Don't think I could have bought just one! The bottle bugs are cute too. What a creative project. Thanks for sharing pics.

o

If you look closely at the first picture you can see the hole I made of wire for hanging. I displayed them on small shepherd's hooks. I have some smaller Christmas bulbs I was thinking of making with magnets, but then had the idea to use the small ones to make tiny bugs for fairy gardens, so that is probably what I will do. I can form a hook for them to hang on out of wire or old hangers.

o

I see the hook. I suppose it could be positioned under the bug also so that it could be attached to a small stake and used as a plant stake or to a heavier gauge wire as a coat hanger and then it could sway in the wind. The small ones for a fairy garden sounds toooo cute. I'm making a fairy garden for my granddaughter. Thanks for the reply.
Have a great day.

o

So many cute ideas Luvs! Your gnome and fairy gardens are just too cute! Where do you find your sweet faced gnomes...LOVE them! Glad you sold so many things too....that's great news!

o

I found most of the gnomes at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I drill a hole in the bottom of them and glue in a piece of hanger so they are on a stake. I found some at Dollar General also as pot hangers - those things that hang over the side of the flower pots. I picked the ones that looked like they could be sitting and drilled a hole in the bottom of them too and inserted a stake. I use a Dremel. I like these little gnomes too - so many have an evil look to them - I only like the cute ones.

o

Wow! You've been a busy woman! Bugs, bugs, everywhere! Glad they flew away for you! Really cute idea using the Christmas bulbs ...as we've gone to LED lights now...great recycling! Jeanne S.

o

So cute! Glad they made you some money!! Great displays as always! Jan

o

I love love love every thing in your alb,You do such great work !!1

o

Another project to add to the list of things I must have soon. If the list gets much bigger I'll have to build another room on the house just to contain it. : )

Really adorable creations. Thanks for the inspiration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here