Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickiebabeblue

How to help needed

chickiebabeblue
13 years ago

I wanted to make a "head planter" out of a styrofoam wig form. I carved out the portion I wanted to use as a planter and spray painted the form. I used Krylon for plastic. It "melted" the styrofoam. Now if I was going for a ghoulish look this would work, but I wanted just to color the styrofoam. Anyone have an idea what I could do to avoid the melting? I so love the head planters out there but they are way too pricey for me. I am a cheapo from way back. Any ideas for me?

Comments (7)

• lindasewandsew
    13 years ago

Coat the styrofoam with gesso or Zinsser primer. They're acrylic and will add a 'wall' between the foam and spray paint. Painting it with latex paint would also be good. Whatever you use, be sure it's an exterior product. It should work fine. Hope that helps. Linda

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

I love head planters, too. I hope you will post a photo when you finish.

Where do you get the styro heads?? Haven't seen those in years.
    -Sprout

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I totally forgot how spray paint can melt styrofoam! If you don't have leftover latex paint, you can get those "patio" acrylic paints at craft stores. They are made for outdoors. I sure hope you are able to post a picture of your planter. There are so many cool plants you can plant for "hair." One of my favorites is ornamental grass.

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I used one of those heads the other day when I made a garden man, from my Dad's old overalls and shirt that I had been keeping. I used the flat fronted head, and then put a straw hat over the face. Like sleeping. Did not want to try painting a face since it is a MAN!
    Speaking of stryofoam and spray paint, I learned something last week (on line of course). I immediately tried it--take one of the small stryo coolers, and spray it GENTLY with the gray. I did it with straight lines around the cooler and then sprayed in spots. Trial and errer. It is light weight, but looks like concrete!!!!

• chickiebabeblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I will try to learn how to post pics cuz I'm anxious to do the head pot thing. I already have a spiral grass plant to put in it.We have a resale shop in Madison WI called Savers that sells the wig heads for $2.99. I'll get another and try soon!

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

Just curious, but couldn't you take the wig head and make a mold with it so you could pour your own concrete ones? Not that I've ever tried it, but it sounds good in theory LOL
    That way you could have the "real McCoy" at a fraction of the price.

• jkyw
    13 years ago

Wish I had thought of a planter when I painted mine. I ended up throwing it away when I moved. I painted mine with regualr craft paint and then put on a coat of glossy clearcoat. I never used it outside, but if I had thought of the planter idea I would have.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple head

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!