Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Need Ideas

marquest
11 years ago

I want to make a flower out to of this. I was thinking Calla Lily when I saw it.

What do you think? What would you use for a stamen. I thought maybe a light bulb like one of those Candelabra light bulb I have yellow glass paint I could paint it yellow and put it in the center to make have a middle tongue.

Then I thought it would have the shape but not the bumps. Maybe glue some marbles on the the light bulb.

Okay that is my arguments in my head how to make it a glass Calla Lily. What thoughts do you have. Or should I just use it in a totem? Maybe just as a topper?

{{gwi:148078}}

Comments (11)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I'm still thinking about this one....love the piece, but for the life of me, I don't see a calla lily. I'm thinking it would make an awesome totem topper though, but I'll keep thinking on what you could use as a stamen.

• marquest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Marlene. I know when I saw it I loved it and I thought flower. Maybe you are right topper and add something coming up out of it maybe a bird.

{{gwi:148079}}

These are the birds I have.

{{gwi:148080}}

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Actually I also see a calla lily, I think a candelabra bulb would work well in yellow. I was thinking of painting some old hat pins, tiny tea cup and resin to make some stamens. ( use the resin in the tea cup to hold the hat pins)
    It certainly could also make a nice topper but I vote for the calla lily.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Ohhhh a Calla lily is an AWESOME idea!

• hostarhodo
    11 years ago

You would need something longer than the candelabra bulb as you stated. How about one of the longer tube bulbs, if still available, they are quite thick. Aha just had a thought, what about a test tube. Oh my thinking cap is in gear as I type this. Something metal would be a cigar tube,painted. Something long and thin like the real thing would be a glass drink stirrer. I have a couple of them. I will stop now, but it is so much fun.

Betty

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

The red bird blends in too much with the red of the glass. If you want to do a bird, it should be a white bird or a yellow bird.

Betty mentioned glass stirrers - Pier 1 has lots of them.

Maybe you could even do something with a tiny hot sauce bottle. I was originally thinking a nip bottle - but aren't they all plastic now? Maybe some wire and tiny buttons coming out of the mouth of the tiny bottle.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Ooohh...I love the bird figurine inside of the glass, but the hummingbird might pop a bit more...even though I LOVE red, so the cardinal works for me too. Whatever you decide, I know it will be awesome!

• marquest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all have come up with some good ideas. I am thinking glass stiirer adorned with a hat pin. My mom past recently and I have some of those from her jewelry collection and could use them in her memorial garden.

Maybe I was thinking calla lily and I should have been thinking Arum.

Here is a link that might be useful: ARUM BLOG

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Very cool pc ...I vote for the Calla Lily also...go for it! Something will trigger your vision! Jeanne S.

• hostarhodo
    11 years ago

I realized after I had posted that the things I had suggested wasn't actually calla lily. I was thinking more height and thought I made silly suggestions. Glad you could turn it around and see what I was seeing. Hope whatever you choose to do works for you. In a memorial garden is a great idea.

Betty

• marquest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Betty that is how ideas help. They make you think. You all are great and I thank you all for your help with the wonderful ideas.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner