Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Wood Project Update

Calamity_J
13 years ago

So all that wood I hauled home...I have my first project completed...have been redoing my deck, covered it, painted it, tore most of the railing off, but had left this bit, so I used 6pcs of the freebee lumber to build this arbor system to hang my GOG!! Just a little plain jane project but I am happy to play with my power tools!!!heh heh! I helped DH(I went and bought and told him he bought me)buy me a birthday present last yr...a cordless drill set(Tools, not jewels!lol) and LOVE it!! I am so enjoying my bird feeder tower, have tons of birds using it and set it up right beside the birdbath and they use that now too!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:148120}}

Comments (25)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

That looks awesome, calamity! and open enough to see your bird waterer & new bird feeder tower! I envy your fortitude & skill! Wonderful place to sit & enjoy...so take a rest now & then, too! Keep posting pics...you're motivating the rest of us! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DH and I just realized that we have been here 6yrs this month(also our anniversary of getting back together after a 4yr separation) the 1st 2yrs, I made this arbor for the kiwi vines out of irrigation pipe, but the kiwis really took off and went over that and onto the house, and when it rained, the thing collapsed, had to build a wood arbor to support the pvc pipe, also the leaves fell off, rotting on the deck, slimy..ewww...so ripped out the kiwi and railings and did this roof(and pond is where big white tarp is....so these are before and after pics of ongoing deck change....

• kelly_oh
    13 years ago

Very cool, Calamity!!! Its such a nice feeling to look out and see something you made and think to yourself "I did that and it looks great" proud of you and your power tools!!!!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I love the new arbor, it's perfect for your GOG. The old deck awning with the vines was really cool, but the new one will be less work and more lasting. It's going to look lovely when the pond and castle are all finished. Great job.
    Frou

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is right beside the deck...gettin' there!!!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

calamity...your before & after pics are wonderful! I like the "new" deck arrangement & changes & having that glorious pond right next to it is perfect! And, my, how much progress you've made...the plants have a bog home now & soon the fish! Looks like you got great pcs of limestone! Did you cement the pcs on end here in the above pic..I see them sitting on a board (for support)...does that stay there or get covered?

Your refreshing paint looks great on the deck! And I love seeing the GOG "whisperer" there! TFS! Jeanne S.

• marleneann
    13 years ago

I can see a lot of hard work in those projects ...but oh how rewarding.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I am pretty much speechless.......
    just WOW. A really big WOW. You're totally amazing!

hugs, Karen

• diggery
    13 years ago

Oh.My.Goodness :0

Just FLEW over here from the pond forum to get the scoop! Wow. Admittedly, been away from the boards for a few months BUT I was just lurking here a couple of wks ago and somehow missed the *coming attraction*

And now this! What a WONDERful accomplishment. Positively green with envy here. Ha...would be sleeping on that deck next to the pond.

Kudos to you Camamity J! You have outdone yourself this time.

blessings,
    ~digger

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

That looks great .You are like me I would rather have tools any day of the week !1

• loribee2
    13 years ago

I'm with Karen. WOW!! Absolutely beautiful! Do you do this yourself or do you have help?

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

You are multi talented! Is there anything that you can't do? Tools not jewels. I love it.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! It is excrusiatingly slow as we do 4-8hrs each weekend and so I keep myself busy with other stuff to make the time pass!!!!ha! The majority of the work has been done by my friend Glen, he is a pond builder extrodinaire!ha! Really tho...and I have a vision and he is sending it over the top with all this rockwork!! Here is a pic of my helpers...Glen holding a full sandbag over his head(showoff!lol!) and DH who has been feeding us as we play with various projects...have got tons done in the yard...planted 100s of plants, fixed irrigation, gravel paths, fixed slope walkway to back yard...Poor Glen, I'm always thinking up more stuff!!! I may have to have a pond raising party to show this baby off when we are done!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:148121}}

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Calamity_j, can you slow down? You are wearing me out! lol! Good grief, girl, you have been busy! I love the new deck and your pond is extraordinary! I can't wait to see it all finished with your fishies swimming around. Great job and keep those pictures coming!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

WOWEE!! You have been very busy! Love your arbor, you new deck and your pond is going to be gorgeous! Great job and you have some great guys in your life to help your dreams come to fruition!

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Karen had the right word for it. WOW. You are very inspiring lady.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So Today and yesterday I sawed and hammered and drilled all day and made what I call fence toppers(just a 12ft 2x4 with 2x3s nailed/drilled to it, to go from one fence post to the other...above where I have planted vines to grow up to...PLUS a birdhouse trellis and it is so neat...even if I do say so myself!ha!The birdhouse got a makeover with some neat scrounged tin and some old horseshoe nails and a cow bell!! All stuff that has been stored away in the shed...it's so fun to go "shopping" in my shed!ha! And utilizing so much stuff! And inventing/creating...it also has some wood from the old porch railing so like that it is put to a new purpose and not just firewood! PLUS I have all these 1/2 cans (1 pint size) of various outdoor paint, and since I wanted the 3 trellises along the back fence to match, I mixed all the paint together and made a new color!!!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Drinking that High Octane again are you? LOL.
    I love coming here and seeing what you are doing, or hearing rather in this case. I can hardly wait to SEE it all tho.

Its been 110 here this week, and any energy I might have found, quickly left. Of course you keep me exhausted just reading about all your work. LOL.

hugs, Karen who's totally in awe of you

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

All your projects are just Wonderful!! TFS
    Kathi

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

GREAT, calamity! Can't wait to see your fence toppers & bdhse trellis! You are definitely on a roll! Yippee! TFS! Jeanne S. (I got rained out today...but veggie garden is weeded again!) Now back to my fav, the flowers! Can't wait for the weekend, so see what progress you make with your friend & DH, too!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A sneak peek at the new wood projects...so far 5 wood topper trellises and this birdhouse trellis...

I Am WOMAN..Hear Me Saw!!!lol!!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

LOL! I hear ya SAW! WOW! Love, love your birdhouse trellis...ya made it your own & it's wonderful! Love the tin roof & the horseshoe nail for a perch! Can't find the "cowbell"...is it in one of those diamond shapes? Now can you get DH to help ya dig it in place? (soon!)...just cause I'm beggin' to see more pics! And how those "fence toppers" work for your vines! TFS, again, calamity! Appreciated! Jeanne S.

• rafor
    13 years ago

And to think "someone" recently posted on here and said no one makes anything but totems!!!!!! Great projects all around!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

YOU RULE CALAMITY!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Love the trellis birdhouse! And I can't wait to see the rest of your completed projects.

So what color did you create with the 5 cans of paint?

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area