Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

LOTS of container fairy gardens

luvs2click
10 years ago

Getting ready for a garden fair this weekend, tons of miniature gardens made up in various recycled containers. Here's a few pictures, click on the link if you want to see LOTS more, including planted toolboxes, work boots, Tonka trucks, you name it. Looking forward to getting some sleep next week..........Arlene

{{gwi:148330}}

{{gwi:148331}}

{{gwi:148332}} the farm is new for this year - I made 3 of them

{{gwi:148333}} I have 3 wagons planted up also

Here is a link that might be useful: more container gardens

Comments (26)

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Okay....can you see me bowing up and down to you as the Fairy Garden creator QUEEN?! These are just too cute Luvs! I really love the farm ones that you've made this year too. Now, I need some help from you...where do you find all of these cute miniatures? The bluebird and the birdhouse, the truck, tractor, etc. And you also have the cutest little houses for them too.....I'm totally envious here! Great job and good luck at the garden fair!!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Thanks! I order the fairies wholesale and shop garage sales and thrift stores all year long for all the other things. The truck and tractor came from Hobby Lobby dollhouse miniatures section as did many of the minis, like bunnies, frogs & turtles, birds, birdhouses etc. I make the flower and butterfly pokes from buttons and galvanized nails. The houses I pick up thrifting. I make the gazing balls and hubby makes the bird baths. I picked up all the barns at yard sales or Goodwill. I get the welcome signs and mushrooms wholesale from a local vendor who does ceramics. The one birdhouse with the bluebird I picked up at a yardsale, the top opens and it has a nest with eggs - too cute! I drilled a hole in the bottom and added a wire stake. Alot of the ceramic animals (deer, toads, frogs, snail, etc.) I picked up at a yardsale - someone had their grandmother's collection of over 2000 miniature figurines for $1 each. I went back 3 times as she didn't have room to put them all out at once. I still wonder what I missed! I only do one show a year with the gardens as it takes me that long to gather enough stuff!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Girl you are so dang great !!!! I love them.I want to do one in a copper sink my niece gave me she works at a pluming place .

• oldgraymare
    10 years ago

Those are adorable!!!

• marcia1
    10 years ago

Love them. Do you put drain holes in the bottoms of the containers? Has been rainy season here and the garden would float away or stick in the mud along side my garden shoes!!

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

WOW! They're all awesome. I haven't gotten into fairy gardens, but really admire the ones I see.

• cnm1
    10 years ago

I bow to your talents as well. you have inspired my much more humble fairy gardens, I had so hope to make the Quailcrest show this yr. Last yr was too hot. This yr - I fractured my pelvis a few months ago and cannot drive/walk that far yet. Maybe next yr
    I posted a link to the show on my facebook page - stir up business for you!!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! A lot of work, but at least it is fun work! Marcia, yes they all have drainage holes. And they are all perennials so they stay outside all winter - I just recommend bringing in the minis out of them. cnm - that's unfortunate - hope you heal soon!

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

I love the farm & the wagon!! You always do such beautiful work!! TFS Jan

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

The ones that you made last year inspired me and I have been collecting stuff and have done 1 completely and have enough stuff for 3 others but need work before I can put them together. That will be one of my rainy day projects. Loved looking at the ones for this year and hope they sell quick.

• Desrtdove
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh! These are simply adorable!!! Inspired to start a new passion??? Perhaps =) These look like so much fun to make!! Yes, luvs2click, no doubt a lot of work goes into them....but it looks like a lot of love goes into them too!!Way fun! Thanks for sharing and inspiring =)

• ladygladys
    10 years ago

Fantastic! Do you order the fairies wholesale online?

• cnm1
    10 years ago

Great - I made a trip to Hobby Lobby last night (1st time) and there was a street garage sake today. Found some fun miniatures!! Plan to enhance the ones I have and make 2 more.
    While I am recovering well, I can not lift much for 6 months. Miniatures area perfect distraction!! Thanks for the inspiration.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the fairies are from miniature-gardens.com and I also get them wholesale from wholesalefairygardens.com

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I love them! Such a creative use of so many types of containers. Love the farm too. Let us know how it goes over.

I seem to live in hen and chicken heaven, every year I have to pull lots out of the garden so they don't take over. I was thinking of making some container gardens as gifts, inspired by your past posts. Can you tell me how to overwinter them? (I think I'm a little colder than Ohio, but not much)

Kathy

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

They are all breath-taking but gotta say the farm one is my favorite You certainly have been busy. Hope your sale does well with such fantastic offers that you have there I'm sure you will.

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

How did the sale go Luvs??

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I posted here early yesterday but it's not showing up ??? Anyway, the sale was FANTASTIC! Fairy gardening is definitely the trend. I told someone "I'm finally trendy for the first time in my entire life!" I took 4 vanloads of planters and came home with 1 vanload. Will do a farmers market on Sat. to try to move the rest.

Kathy I wasn't sure if you were talking about winter care for hen & chickens or for the container gardens. Either way, care is mostly the same. H&C - leave them out and forget them. They like all the winter moisture. Also the fairy gardens, I tell people to remove the miniatures and leave the pans sit out in the garden all winter. I use perennial groundcovers for that very reason - they are very hardy and winter over. They need the moisture - I've had people tell me they put them in the garage to "protect" them and they dry up and die. (I even give them a handout on how to take care of it and they still don't listen sometimes!)
    Arlene

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I always love what you make!
    Glad you did well at the show.
    I have collected things, but not made any yet, ( and
    maybe never will). I procrastinate..... LOL

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Hello Lus2click,

Are you going to sell fairy gardens again this year? Do you think the fairy trend is going to continue in 2014?

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I cannot imagine they won't be as popular as ever. There are all sorts of retail stores getting into the act. It is such fun to watch them try and keep up with all the creative ideas generated by you talented people!! I myself shop at the thrift stores. Here is what I came up with, inspired by you all.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, I plan to sell again in the spring. You should see the pile of pans and other containers I have waiting in the garage. I always restock throughout the summer at garage sales and flea markets. I think the trend will be here awhile - everyone loves anything miniature. And more and more stores are jumping on the bandwagon with supplies.
    Arlene

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Luvs~

I sure hope you'll post pictures again.....even though I drool all over my keyboard, I do LOVE your fairy gardens!

• nonacook
    10 years ago

Waiting anxiously for your spring collection!

• marylee_2010
    10 years ago

I am waiting for spring and your garden collection. You are very creative. I love to see what you have made. Thank you for sharing. Marylee

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Arcy I love yours too.
    Arlene, thanks for your answer and I'm looking forward to seeing this year's also.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations