Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylslil1

What should I do with this??

kylslil1
12 years ago

I got this garage saling and thought it was kinda cool for 2 dollars. I sort of want to paint it....but I don't know what colors. I guess I'm having "gardeners block" or something....usually I have an idea already for a project. But, i don't know what colors...or what I want to put in it...or even where I want it to go in the garden. Anybody have any thoughts??

{{gwi:148417}}

Comments (19)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I think I would paint it a bright color...something that would coordinate in your garden and give you a focal spot. Then plant it with trailing plants and some with height as well. I don't know where you're from, so I don't want to recommend something that might not grow in your area. Looks really cool and what a deal for $2!

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Only $2 !!! What a deal. I can think of LOTS of possibilities for my garden but need more info on your style and region/location. (How about green with envy?) Lucky you. Please sure to post pictures when you're done with the project. We'd love to see the results.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

"Green with envy"

I love that color idea! Color choices have to relate to your garden, your style so we do need some clues otherwise we give you our favorites which covers a big range.

You can even leave as is and it would be nice.

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

That is cool and what a deal. If you like bright colors, you could paint it orange with a yellow sun. That's what it reminds me of, a sun. Maybe add some marigolds.
    Frou

• geeme
    12 years ago

I like the color of the cat already , but I would leave the stand black and go with the vibrant blue and green you seemto be using already, maybe the blue with green leaves and small daisy flowers,,,, love it !!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

I too would leave the stand black, or at least refresh the black that seems to be on it and then go with bright co-ordinating colors. Make it happy!!! What a great find and a terrific price!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What a deal! Yes don't paint your cat.
    Can't wait to see what you do.
    Kathy

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

Love it - I would have snatched that up in a heartbeat! I'd make a fairy garden in it!

Here is a link that might be useful: ideas for fairy gardens

• goldenpond
    12 years ago

It is a beauty1 Perfect for succulants or whatever you want

• alaMel
    12 years ago

In general, Jmo here, I would paint the box yellow because it's less likely to clash with whatever colored flowers you decide to plant. Yellow with red, with purple, pinks, oranges, blues, ALL look good. Also I think I would set two pots under the stand to visually anchor it. I don't know if that helps. Just my opinion. Cute though. Oh and if you get paint on the cat, he'll never know. Lol

• organizedsarah
    12 years ago

I'd leave it the color it already is unless you're really into BRIGHT colors. I think the color it is right now is terrific. I'd put some Creeping Jenny or Creeping Charlie to grow over the sides, maybe some bright-colored Million Bells in the middle, maybe a couple geraniums for constant bloom and height, then something taller and spikey towards the back. Can't wait to see pics!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

From the picture, it looks like it is kind of flimsy for a heavy planter.

You will need to rust-proof it well if you are going to use it as a planter.

dcarch

• kylslil1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I shouldve given more info. I haven't posted on here since last year. :) Im from Pensacola Florida, zone 8b. I have two acres and like to divide my yard by color sections. I have a bed of blues and purples which i call my sea bed.(my deck is similarly decorated) i have a rose bed with mostly pinks. My front bed is pinks, yellows, and purples and im working on a tropical section with reds, oranges and yellows.

I kind of like "green with envy".......that sounds very fun. I also like the idea of a sun...the half moon with the rays do kind of look like the sun!

I really love all yalls ideas...i'll post some pics as i go!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Guess I sent a response to cyber-space on Tues! Repeating...
    My suggestion was Rustoleum Hammered paint...I love that stuff! And the copper color would look pretty awesome! (with that sun motif in mind) Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

It looks great for embellishing. You could glue some doo-dads on it and then paint the entire thing a single color. Or add some flat marbles to it. I'd probably find some way to mosaic it. lol I really like luvs2click's idea of a fairy garden.

• kylslil1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I have the first coat finished! It's not as vibrant as the finished product of course, just thought i'd share. I sprayed it metallic copper and am using a light aqua for the spokes. (i think im only using that one cause i had the color already and it meant i didn't have to buy any more!)

{{gwi:148418}}

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Looking good!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Looks good! Hope it will work out great somewhere in your gardens or patio/porch area! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

What a GREAT piece, I'm green with envy over this find.
    Like the kitty too. ;o)

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz