Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
excessfroufrou

Screen of Can Flowers

excessfroufrou
13 years ago

My backyard neighbor has put up a plethera of tacky (to me anyway) out buildings, some even made from tarps. Oh well. Here is my solution, I bought the iron fence pieces with the leaves on them and then I added the flowers made from beer cans. It's sort of hiding junk with junk, only I like my junk better.

Frou

{{gwi:148527}}

{{gwi:148528}}

Comments (21)

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

What an awesome idea ! I wanna do it, too !! ( if you don't mind ) My DH is definately going to help me with this -- he'll empty the cans while I craft with them !!! ROFL ...
    ** What a great guy ..........hehehe

PS - is there any sort of pattern ?

• seamommy
    13 years ago

I agree, your junk is Waa-a-a-a-y nicer. Cheryl

• greenfreak
    13 years ago

I would love to know how you did it too. I think it looks wonderful. Definitely much better than looking at a tarp. ;)

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

I LOVE the flowers!! Really pretty and creative. I'm collecting shovels and trowels right now to make some flowers like this on a larger scale but these would all fit together nicely to make a metal garden!! Love it!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

What a great idea to embellish the trellises. Hides the neighbor better and makes them more interesting and unique.
    Kathy

• granny2anb
    13 years ago

They certainly have the WOW factor. I had to look twice to see the neighbor's building. Those look great. I have an arbor that needs something. I think a few of the can flowers will do the trick. Thanks for sharing the idea.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

frou...what an excellent idea! As I look closer, I can see your fences attached to the top brace 2x4 (or whatever size)...your can flowers are perfect! It's like a silhoutte of sorts! (against the white canvas)...blends in so good with yourrustic fence...great solution! TFS! Jeanne S.

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

Totally cute!!! You did a great job on them :o)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Your flower screen looks awesome Frou! What a great addition to the trellis/screens you bought...and you're right...they look WAY better than your neighbor's shed!

• excessfroufrou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TMG, feel free to copy anything I do, since I most likely copied and embellished to start with and my DH did supply the cans. I don't really have a pattern, but I'll try to post some instruction pics soon. It takes 3 cans for each flower so start saving. Thanks for the compliments, it's always nice to hear that you have good taste when it comes to junk.
    Frou

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I like your junk better too!

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Thank you ! I told DH about the project and he is gung ho to "help me" ~~ LOL

I'm thinking the project will begin this Friday night ~~ hehehe :P

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Your junk looks lovely!! Yes instructions are needed, most of us are very visual, if we can't see it,we can't make it!!LOL Of course, beer cans are not required, soda cans will work very well but I guess not be as much fun for the drinkers! Great way to enlist DH's help too tho!! Could make the flowers colors but for your fence I think the green is perfect!! His stuff just sort of fades out! Jan

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Yep, Frou, your 'junk' is the BEST. Bet that neighbor would make his own if he knew he could use beer cans. ROFLMBO.
    I love what you did, its really attractive and does the job perfectly for you. Way to go, Girl!

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

What an awesome idea! Your can flowers look like they are a part of the trellis. You must have a great eye for placement. Are the beer cans cut up from the bottom to create the petals and then 2 more cans done the same way and put one on top of the other? And, if that's the case, how did you attach them together and to the wrought iron fence? Inquiring minds want to know!

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I like your junk SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than your neighbors.
    Kathi

• crazyone
    13 years ago

this is so neat.. love the look and idea

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Very cool, you don't even notice the building behind. We don't drink beer but I bet pop cans would work just as well. I think I might leave them unpainted. Awesome Idea!

• excessfroufrou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chelcass, pop cans would work fine and if you left them unpainted it would really pop, sort of Andy Warholish.
    Frou

• easystitches
    13 years ago

frou, you have so many cool things in your yard!
    I adore your potting shed too.
    What kind of grass are your flamingos grazing in?
    Jill

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz