Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1. Concrete stuff 2. Cobalt paint per Purplemoon

Posted by concretenprimroses 4B NH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 11:11

1. Concrete stuff
Here are some pics of a few of my concrete creations. I've not gotten very creative, but it is a lot of fun. I've got lots of used jello molds and cake pans.

Base is a big blue pot from BigLots and to little concrete bird on the top I bought (wish I could make them!)
Photobucket

Zorro guards this little number doing his batboy imitation which is appropriate cuz if you look at the bottom/base of the rock you'll see spiderman's nemesis. We dug this big rock out of our driveway.
Photobucket

I'll continue in this thread but in a couple more posts in case uploading is a problem for some folks.

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
1. Concrete stuff continued

I haven't stuck the two sides of the sphere together yet, but they are staying as is. This rock bench is the first big rock to rise out of our driveway (and dh wonders why I don't want to pave it).
Photobucket

I just like to pour in pretty cake pans to make simple but attractive stepping stones.
Photobucket

Kathy (next cobalt blue)

o
2. Cobalt paint per Purplemoon

Purplemoon found out that Krylon for plastic NAVY color turns out cobalt colored. I bought Rustoleum for plastic, NAVY hoping it would work also.

Before:
Photobucket

After:
Photobucket

Thanks Karen!

Kathy

PS I have more concrete, including a garden edged in fish shapes, but the garden is so messy right now I just can't take pics of them.

o
RE: 1. Concrete stuff 2. Cobalt paint per Purplemoon

I love your stuff!! Did you use ready-mix concrete? I can't get the fine details you have with hypertufa. Did you line your metal molds with plastic? Sorry for all the questions - I just LOVE concrete!! :)

o

Thank you.
I used to rub vasoline on the molds, but Pam Spray is much quicker and easier.
So far I have always used quick crete brand ready mix. But the aggregate is too much. Someone on the stained glass and mosaics forum over at the Home forums (it was either Slow or Klinger, can't remember), recommended that I try mortar mix. so I've got a bag of that sitting on my passenger seat. I'm really hoping to use it soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Kathy

o

I love your artworks too! I've never thought of using cake pans before. What a great idea!!!

Just so you know, mortar doesn't hold together well. It is very crumbly, even when you add strengthener. I made the mushroom caps for my gnome home with it, and they both are very brittle and crumbly. After I painted them I sprayed them with Thompson's water sealant, so hopefully they'll last a little longer. I have a feeling cement is truly the best way to go.

o

Those are all super duper, that bird is so sweet. You make me want to do concrete stuff, right away and DH always whines when it comes to me doing these projects. I don't get it. Zorro, is adorable, a homeless kitty had kittens under our storage building at work and now I'm in the process of taming them and finding homes for them. The momma and 2 of the 5 kittens look just like Zorro. I really like the navy paint also, it's what I used on my planter of my 4th decorations that I posted on your other thread.
Frou

o

love the blue color!

o

WOW! I love the concrete molds...never thought of using old cake pans and jello molds! Great idea! And your blue pot is beautiful! TFS!

o

crete ...your concrete stuff is AWESOME! I love how you added (in 1st pic) to the Big Lots pot...& finished with the cute bird! Looks wonderful among your plants!

The molds look like they work great for you! I also use spray veggie when doing rock faces or mushrooms. And I love your painted angel pot with the Lobelia! BEAUTIFUL! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Very cool I love them .I will keep the bunt pans I have been trying to give a way .Lots of ideas here. Try sifting the quick crete brand ready mix to get the rocks out .I do a lot of mushrooms and things to mosaic .

o

Everything is soooo neat, and I love it all. including Zorro, LOL. And those big rocks....sigh! Now I'm going to looking at cooking molds and cake pans in a different light!

I used the Quik Rete mortar for the stepping stones I made.
I just use my stones for decorative purpose. But they have held up fine for years in the yard. No crumbling whatsoever. I painted most of mine (just regular outdoor housepaint, a cement stone maker told me to use) tho the two terra cotta colored ones are the cement colorant.
This Quik Rete is so smooth and easy to use, I love it.

stepping stones I made

hugs, Karen

o

Keep those pans out when old man winter arrives. Its the second project on the right side of the page.

I always say I'm going to make these and then never do.

Great job on the concrete Kathy. The first one of the blue pot almost reminds me of a pagoda (in a very loose translation of one)

Here is a link that might be useful: bundt pan luminaries

o

I love your concrete creations! That first picture with the piece that looks like a flower is fantastic! And check out concrete molds on eBay and you might find one for a bird similar to your cute little bird. I really like your blue pot too. That turned out great! I'll have to remember that. Now I'll have to look for jello and cake pans...

o

Great pieces, Kathy; so creative! In the top photo, the piece below the bird almost looks like a pom-pom chrysanthemum. Nice work!

o

Thank you everyone. Shady, that chrysanthemum form is my favorite. It is on top of an inverted one of the same type, tho that's hard to see in the picture. It is a bundt pan with a hole, so I could in theory stack them high with a pipe in the middle. (Mine are just piled up with nothing but gravity to hold them.) But I've never figured out what to use as spacers.
Karen I love your stones. Particularly that black bunny. Glad to hear that quickrete mortar mix held up for you. That is what I got I'll have to cross my fingers.

There is so much I want to do, and I have to admit, my energy level has been low. Gotta set some "concrete" goals for myself!

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here