Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

A few junk projects

seamommy
13 years ago

{{gwi:148796}}

I made this table from broken plates and stuff. The blue chair was sitting on a curb with two others and the guy wanted $25 for all three of them. I bit.

{{gwi:148797}}

I got these two metal dogs at the Fort Worth plant swap last fall and repainted them. I didn't care for them at first, but they're growin' on me.

{{gwi:148798}}

The mailbox and the cedar post it's mounted on were trash-trolling finds. I use it to hold plant supplies and goldfish food. I had to put them up high to keep the racoons from eating my fish food. I also have to put moth balls in the box to kill the odor of the food or the coons will climb the pole and open the door.

{{gwi:148799}}

I know, it's kind of predictable but I always wanted to have an old washer for a planter. In the background you can see some of the scavenged wicker furniture. Most of it I got off curbs around town a couple years ago when the plastic "wicker" came out. Also you can see the swan platter that I rescued and repainted. It's wooden so it stays out of the weather.

{{gwi:148800}}

I dragged this cedar porch post out of someones trash. I brought it home, painted it white, added a pineapple finial, and set it in concrete. Then we added the lattice 'wings' to support the Climbing Dortmund rose.

I'm not sure how to re-size the pictures, so I hope you enjoy this. I have a couple more things I want to post, but I haven't loaded them into Photobucket yet. Cheryl

Comments (14)

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

So pretty!! I love the mosaic you did on the old table - great save!! I bought an old bird bath at the swap meet last week for $5 and want to mosaic it this fall when it cools off some. Did you just use broken plates, tiles, etc.?

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love the table! I want to mosaic my birdbath table too. I think the chairs were a bargain at $25 for 3.
    Your whole garden looks great with all your projects.
    Sooner girl, if you have freezing temperatures you might use Klinger's tongue test for stuff you make to leave out doors (she's at the mosaic and stained glass forum over on the home forums). She breaks the plate and puts her tongue on the break - if the piece sticks then it is too porous to use outside (will absorb too much water and break apart in freezing weather.)
    Kathy

• User
    13 years ago

I love everything but I think my favorite is the lattice arbor.

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

concretenprimroses- Good information to know!! I will go check out the info available on the other board. Thanks so much!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Your gardens look beautiful & you've salvaged lots of good GJ stuff! TFS! Jeanne S.
    p.s. Around here those metal chairs go for big bucks (old & new)!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Love your old washtub planter and the swan planter too! And your rose trellis is really pretty! Thanks for sharing your "junk" with us!

• lamb716
    13 years ago

Oh everything is just so lovely!!! I just love your table ~ please tell me....how do you come up with an inspiration for the design? Do you just wing it as you go or do you create a pattern in advance? As a young child, I loved to draw designs & colored them w/crayons. Do you think I could do this w/broken tiles? I am so ready to give this a try. Your yard is gorgeous, I love the rose trellis too. It's so pretty. The red against the white ~ beautiful. Thanks for sharing w/us. :o)

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I think that was a fair deal for the old timey metal chairs, and it is perfect with your mosiac table. You did a great job. You must really work hard on your yard, because it is certainly lovely. I like those little metal pups in the bulb bed. And the rose trellis is very elegant, it looks like it belongs in an English garden print. Great job!
    Frou

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

You are soooooooooo talented ( and creative ! ) Thanks for sharing the pics.

PS -- I WANT THAT LATTICE WORK !!! -- to put around my planter so no one can reach in & steal my pots !

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Very nice, thanks for sharing the inspiration.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I really enjoyed seeing all your things, but that lattice/rose arbor is especially lovely. You've created some neat vignettes. The metal dogs look just right in that spot, so I see how they'd grown on you. LOL.

Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

So many great ideas! Mothballs to keep raccoons out of fish food!! Putting mailbox up higher, love the swan platter! The lattice with roses is elegant & the chairs are great! Just respray & you can have any color you want. The table is lovely & the washer tub is just like 1 my friend had. She died some time ago, after '93 quake her house went off foundation(termites- she had predicted it )she moved in with DD. I drove by today as last time I had looked it was just house removed. Today it is Spanish style house with garage at back of lot & cement everywhere. All of her great GJ has been replaced with cement. She would love the house but be so sad that everything was removed. Anyway I love that old tub best!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I LOVE your metal pooches! They are adorable. And your mosaic table is awesome. Great design and colors! It looks great next to the blue metal chair (which I like but imagine can be extremely hot if kept in the sun). Great save on the wicker furniture and porch pillar in your lattice. And great save on the mailbox and cedar post too. You got it for a great price! TFS!

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

ya done good! i love it all!
    kudzu

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths