Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dulldecorator

Stiff pants?

dulldecorator
14 years ago

Here is a cute little planter I made from baby bib overalls last year. It sits in my office window. Picked up 3 more pairs last week at thrift shop, so it looks like I will be making some as gifts for special people with birthdays coming up!

{{gwi:148872}}

Comments (19)

• junkinthetrunk
    14 years ago

Stiff pants...lol...I couldn't not look...I found this one online but never knew how to do it...Can you tell me what you used for stiffener? Thanks.{{gwi:140978}}

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

What talent!!!! We want details on how to make these!!!!

• dulldecorator
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This was made by first of all soaking the bibs in liquid starch overnight.(Little bis are cutest- don't know if I would go much bifgger that 12 month size) Maybe overkill on the time but I wanted to make sure the starch permeated the fabric. Then I removed from starch bath (do not wring out) and inserted wadded up plastic Walmart bags into the legs and chest. I let one strap of mine hang down cuz that usually how my kids wore theirs. (Make sure that any bags with print are turned inside out as the print can bleed). I turned up the cuffs too because it seemed cuter with the shorter legs. Just play around with the stuffing till you get the look you want, definitely don't want it all straight and prim and proper! Then allow to dry. I left mine on the counter top on a layer of plastic to catch the run off, took about a day and a half. Remove stuffing and fill with flowers or vines. Mine has been kept indoors since made, and was sprayed with one can of spray poly. Anyone know what I could coat it with to keep it outside?

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Lovely. I tease my hubby that his shirts have so much starch they can stand in a corner

• junkinthetrunk
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info..love your little wagon with it. Now if I can only find the bibs I have put away for a rainy day.

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

That's so cute & adorable... would make a good baby shower gift too!!! don't know anyone with little kids, but Im sure gonna keep a look out @ the TS

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

There is a product called liquid porcelon. I'm pretty sure it would be safe on the porch with just the Poly on it.

• leveta
    14 years ago

Could get marine varnish...I got some but havn't used it yet. Thanks for the ideal..I seen some one do this last yr, it may have been you and bought a pair of red/white/blue plaid shor overhauls. But never got that far...

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

I made several of these last year and did the same way but I coated them with liquid polyurathane. About 4 coats. I let ea. coat dry first of course. Mine have been out all winter and through the rains this spring and they are still stiff. They are a lot of fun to make and so cute. Good luck

• janetgia
    14 years ago

VERY cute!! Would be fun to do (somehow) a pair that looks like they are bent over, then stuck in the garden as if pulling weeds. These are adorable!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I'm startin' a new garden guy...he's gonna need something like this...plus a brick wall!!!lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:148871}}

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

All of those pics are soooooo cute! ~tenderlee

• akup_a
    14 years ago

Calamity: what is he made of? He's so hansome!

My DH has several old jeans. I want to make some planters out them using this method. I thought maybe using glue, gallons of it.

dulldecorator(the name doesn't fit your creations): would you use the liquid starch straight, no dilutions?
    You've done a lovely job.
    Vickie

• dulldecorator
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The liquid starch is straight, no dilution.

• jlily
    14 years ago

Very cute with the Radio flyer Wagon. Thanks for sharing.
    Jlily

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Akup, he is a metal light fixture that I bought at the TS I was working at, and then added the clothes...I've taken him apart and am in the process of making his body with wire mesh...debating on if I should fill him with hypertufa for extra weight as he will get a skim coat of cement then mosaiced so he may well be heavy enough by the end of all this...then I'm making him a brick wall to sit on!!! I'm so Egg-cited!!!lol!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

clamity that is the cutest. Please post pics when you get the wall done. TFS.

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Calam- Your precious Humpty would also look good on the ledge of someone's hen house!!!!

• blossomsandlace
    14 years ago

Neat!! You did a great job in it.

Betty

Sponsored