Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another use for old small satellite dishes

Posted by whatnext (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 11:56

While looking at the "Instructables" website this morning I found this really neat idea for an old satellite dish. I knew that it was something that I needed to share with all of you. I might have to get DH to take the old one off the roof, as now it will have a purpose. Here is the link so you can check it out. http://www.instructables.com/id/Satellite-Dishes-for-the-Birds/
I should add that I have been a lurker for years(and have been inspired to create my own garden junk by many of your wonderful ideas), but have never posted before so hope this link works.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another use for old small satellite dishes

Whatnext, your next!!!!!!! Our next member of the Garden Junk Forum. Thank you for you post!!!! We are always tickled to hear about new ideas to recycle (our excuse for not throwing anything away) and being creative.

o
RE: small satellite dishes

I would paint it or mosaic it but what a cool REUSE of this roof trash.

Photobucket

o

Mosiac or marble it!!!!!

o

Thanks for the warm welcome and for posting the pic, ( I tried but couldn't get it to work). Like you said, I am going to "Beautify" it before I put it out, as it is not the most attractive unit!!!!!

o

Welcome Whatnext! Glad you decided to come out of lurkdom. What a great idea for the satellite dish...I have two just waiting in my shed! Thanks for the idea!

o

There was a thread recently about glass bird feeders starting fires because it can focus the sun. That not very likely.

This is different:
A dish antenna is designed to focus perfectly (parabolic reflector) A reflective dish of that size can start a fire in a few seconds. Make sure you do not use any reflective material.

dcarch

o

What I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbX3Fhlm-8&feature=channel

dcarch

o

Your http address must be incorrect dcarch.

o

Just tried it, cut & pasted it, still working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbX3Fhlm-8&feature=channel

dcarch

o

Wow, DC, very interesting, and "super strong" seems to be correct ..... the little stick was smokin' fast! Here's a clickable link to the video:

Here is a link that might be useful: PARABOLIC MIRROR REFLECTOR 37

o

What a cool idea for a birdbath as long as it isn't reflective! lol! Don't want the birds catching fire or the water to start boiling!

o

Welcome Whatnext. This is a cool idea. Hope I can get my hands on one of these.

o

Egads Make your own death ray!
Still its a great use, just don't cover it with mirrors!
kathy

o

I just went outside to look on our houses to see if we had an extra one. Whoopi!!!! There's one on the guest house. I guess I'm going to be getting the ladder out to get that sweet thing down. Thanks Whatnext. Anny

o

Welcome whatnext. I think those satellite dishes are the uglyist things just hanging around. I'm glad to see more ideas on how to beautify them & put the old ones to use. Thanks for sharing. No more lurking, you're one of the family now.
Vickie

o

paint it , drill holes in for Christmas lights , then add a holiday scene in the middle and add garland around the edge and make Christmas wreath to hang outside

o

Aha! Now I know what to do with the old one that has been hanging out on our deck for over a year. I've come so close to ditching it in the scrap metal pile. Thanks for the idea!!!
SwtMary1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here