Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Check out these prices on flamingos

toomuchglass
12 years ago

Holyyyyyyyy Cowwwwwwww ....

I almost fainted !! They're just painted - not beaded !

Look ---

Here is a link that might be useful: expensive flamingos !!!

Comments (14)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Yeah, we should all be millionaires by now!

But I must say, the giraffe is beutifully painted and the zebra, elder mingus and bees are not just painted but have additional parts added to them.

I've had a fantasy of having a flamingo decorating contest in our downtown where the flamingos would be in the garden club beds for a day and people would come and look at them.
    There could be judges and a "peoples choice". The problem is that if I organize it I can't enter!

Prizes for most beautiful, most original, most ornate, What else? The cost to enter would be a tiny bit more than the cost of a flamingo, or $1 or $2 if you supply your own flamingo. We could get sponsors to buy some so kids could enter for the lower price or free, maybe through art classes or summer school to make sure they were returned completed. But I want to enter too!!! We could keep them up for longer if merchants would agree to take them in at night.

See what you have started.

Kathy

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's funny you should say that !! I've had this idea for a long time for having a similar contest for decorating CHAIRS !! Since I live by Lake Michigan -- the theme would be FISH . Jazz up your own chair anyway you want within the theme -- display them downtown , have people vote for the best one -- then auction it off for charity. Maybe even auction them all off from first place down to the end.
    I have no idea of the legality of it -- but it's a great thought. ;)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

There is a local non profit here that has adirondack chairs decorated every year by artists then they are auctioned off to raise money.
    Kathy

ps great Kathys think alike!

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorated adirondack chairs

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHA -- we DO !!!

Geeze --- those chairs are great !!!! I can't stop looking at them :)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Pretty amazing flamingos! I'll bet you could paint yours to look just that great Kathy. I'm always baffled at the prices people ask for things...guess that's why I'm a junker and prefer to create my own stuff.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's what my DH said -- what they ask and what they get could be 2 different things.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

We have a contest here where they pant deer .Then auction them off.
    Love those chairs.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Kathy, that's how I found the neat painted flamingos in our GJ Misc Inspiration album. Browsing the web, a town in FL I think it was, had a painted flamingo contest like you mentioned. And other towns have had horses, mules, cows,
    etc. Great idea and brings in money when they are raffled off. Shopkeepers usually more than willing to display the animals too.

hugs, Karen

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Here's the site I posted on GJ back in 2009 with loads of great painted flamingo pictures. I want them all. LOL.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: paintef flamingoes

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting that .... it was fun looking at all the artsy birds !

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

TMG, probably around a dozen years ago, Milwaukee had a Beasties decorating contest. The entries were all over the downtown area. It was very cool. Menomonee Falls had big pigs decorated for a BBQ festival they had and few years ago. One was decorated to look like a "HOG" (Harley Owner Group) biker. Up in Door County they had decorated "Catfish" that were about 8' long about 10 years ago. They were fish with the head of a cat. Very cute and decorated so neat. I remember a "cat walk" in Wabasha, MN too. They had cute cats decorated and displayed all over town.

I love the idea of flamingos. I loved the zebra and giraffe flamingos at that site. I could afford the minis. The mini bees were adorable.

I agree with Marlene that you have the talent to make something like those yourself. I can't wait to see what your flock will look like.

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

wow!! those are some killer prices!! wonder how many they have sold?

I have confidence that some of you could duplicate them!!

• giggles1
    12 years ago

Now, with the $1 flamingo's at Dollar Tree, everyone can let themselves GO! They can be practice for bigger ones, but I think they're a great size to put in the garden!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I've got to go to the dollar tree!

Thank you Karen for reposting that site. i had a lot of fun looking.

Prices are tricky. How much should a crafts person de-value their time? Which includes searching for the right supplies (not to mention paying for them), experimenting and failing until they figure out the right whatever, and then making the actual items that are for sale. Storing said items, writing up and producing information, transporting them, setting up instore (where they don't get full price) or craft show etc etc.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the idea of it all. It seems like you need to charge a much as people are willing to pay. Some items will be more of a profit than others.

Making things for yourself or gifts to friends is different. A friend who saw pics of the mosaic lamp I gave dd said she might want to commission one. I'm totally flattered of course, but I may just give her one as a house warming gift. I don't think I could ask her for the true value.

Sorry, this is a whole other subject really. Trading with other crafts people is a good way around it.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp I made, posted on mosaic forum