Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannpalmyra

How to keep solar lights in place on old floor lamp?

joannpalmyra
14 years ago

I got this neat old lamp at a sale recently for $1. I spray-painted it with Rustoleum, removed all the bulbs and the cardboard tubes around the sockets of the lamp, and will cut the exterior length of cord soon as I locate the proper cutting tool.

I got the four solar lights at walmart for $4 each, removed the ground stakes and plastic extenders so they would fit into the lamps four light sockets.

Even though they helped keep the solar lights in place, I removed the cardboard tubes from the sockets because I'm making this for outside use and the rain will eventually destroy the cardboard.

Here is where I turn to you, oh creative geniuses of Garden Web, for help.

I need to figure out a way to keep the solar lights in place. They fit into the sockets just about 1/4 of an inch, and easily topple over and onto the ground.

I'll take another picture or two to show the inside of the sockets, if that will help with ideas.

Thank you in advance!

Now I have to go to work. The kind I get paid for and do not enjoy. Bah!

~JoAnn

Image link:

Comments (17)

• joannpalmyra
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeepers, I wish I could edit my message. :P
    The solar lights actually fit into the lamp sockets about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

Well, I would get out the trusty silicone II and try that first. I might find a piece of copper or pvc pipe the proper size and slide that over where the cardboard tubes were.
    Great lamp, should look wonderful at night with the lights. I would plant something in the large top section..lol can we say, ivy trailing??

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I love the shape of the lamp and the solar pole lamp idea!!!!!

Do you have a paticular decorating theme in your yard? Example: Beach, country garden, victorian, western, ect. That may help us to reccommend materials to wrap around the light areas where the cardboard was.

First. A lot of us use "GE Silicone II clear exterior caulk" to glue things for the exterior. That makes it possible to attach almost anything to your pole light. It is this glue that makes it all happen for my projects.

There are little glass disks that I use in some of my candle holders. They are round saucer shaped disks that have a hole in the middle of them that the candle sticks through into the candle holder. They are designed to catch wax but could also possibly hold your lights tighter if they are glued in. These are sold in candle stores or where candle supplies are sold. I got mine at a resale shop.

Another idea that I had was to wrap (coil) rope around each socket area using the glue and clamps to hold it until set. I also thought about bamboo being used but that requires cutting with a saw. Medicine pill bottles may be an option as well.

I'm sure others here will have ideas as well. As you give us more information (Does your want solar light need to be able to come up out of the lamp for power cell changes?) we will keep trying to come up with ideas.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Get a few old light bulbs, break and clean away everything except the screw base.
    Then hot-glue the screw base to the solar lights.

The solar light now can be screwed into the light fixture.

dcarch

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I replaced the cardboard tubes in mine with
    PVC pipe of the same size.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Pvc or metal electrical conduit.
    kathy

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

If it's something that doesn't show, I have found that "rubber non-skid shelving" stuff that you buy on a roll at Walmart or any big box store...anyway, we use it alot in our camper ...and I use it in my cupboards...it keeps things from moving! Might be able to cut a piece to insert in each socket space to hold the solar lights...lookin' forward to seeing this "baby" lit up!!! Luv these old lights!
    Jeanne S.

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I think I would combine a couple of the ideas already given. I would replace the cardboard tubes with pvc and paint it to match the lamp...then use silicone to secure the solar lights into them. I have actually been thinking of a similar idea with an old lamp that I have in the shed. I want to put it by the door of my studio. Would love to see your finished product.

~Micki~

• sugarmaple
    14 years ago

JoAnn, you've inspired me. I had that same exact lamp in storage and a box of solar lights that I've not yet used. So - I got out the lamp, cleaned it up (like you I think I'll paint it with rustoleum), got out my solar lights and the same thing - they don't go in enough to be stable. I have pvc but it's too narrow. I'm going to have to buy a larger tube so it will fit over the fixture yet allow the solar lights to fit into the tube. What with everything else going on in my life it's not something that will get done anytime real soon but I'll post pictures when I'm done. Thanks for the idea and please post a picture with how you solve it - I may do the same thing. Colleen

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

Hey, any updates on the lamps? I have that lamp too and am also inspired. What a neat way to light a walkway or anywhere. Now what color to paint mine. I think I'll also use those old chandelier danglers on mine.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Just wanted to ask for pics when it's lit up at night if possible. Cool lamp, great idea, and what a great buy! ~tenderlee

• sugarmaple
    14 years ago

OK, I put the solar lights in the lamp and they have stayed for several days without me connecting them in any way - they are just sitting over where the cardboard tubes were before I removed them. But the lights won't stay straight - they lean because the tops are touching and it's the only way they'll stay. I haven't painted the lamp yet because I haven't had time. I just went out and took some pictures but the solar lights have been stored unopen for quite a few years so they do seem a little dim. I like the overall effect but I think I need a different style solar light. It was a good idea and I'd like to say thanks to JoAnn for bringing it up. Well, maybe I'm just tired (yeah, that's it, sure) but I cannot post the pictures. I highlighted the link address but it only takes you to the photobucket sign in page. Or, I did something else (I don't even know now what I did) and pictures came up with none of my message and it said it was rejected because I did not name the link. I will try posting the pictures tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to do it right. Sorry but I'm going to quit now while my computer is still in one piece because my patience is wearing verrrrry thin. Colleen

• oreos_mom
    14 years ago

How about floral putty ? It's pliable and you can mold it to fit around inside the socket and should be able to remove it with no problems. Just a thought :)

Susan

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

Hey, I have that same lamp. I was thinking about just using 3 solar lamps and set my blue light shade on top. That way they would add a really pretty glow to the blue shade. I'm also going to add some crystals I kept from an old chandelier. I wish I would have kept the chandelier too, but that was before I discovered the wonderful world of garden junking. I haven't decided which one to use. I may be able to use 4 lights, I'll have to figure it out. The square one has little holes to let light through.
    {{gwi:149342}}{{gwi:149344}}

• tasymo
    14 years ago

I'm wondering if those solar lights would still work if you were to put pretty glass bowls upside down over the tops of them, to make them look less modern, since the light fixture is kind of old fashioned looking?? The light would still shine on the solar panels through the bottom of the bowls. Just a thought!

• joannpalmyra
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - you've all been busy!
    Thanks to all of you for the ideas. :)
    Kathy and Colleen - love your lamps! And that chandelier !!!
    Somewhere in my guest room is an old brass candolier. Hmmm...
    Tasy, I like the idea of using something to hide the modern look of the solars lights. I'm trying to think of something that would work without diffusing the already not-very-bright light they give off.
    I tried the shelf liner, also tried candle puffs, but the lights just arent long enough to get a good grip.
    Havent gotten to try PVC yet.
    I tried using a lightbulb base, but the glue that held the glass in the threaded metal piece will not come out, and the light won't fit in there with the glue! Darned stubborn stuff.
    I liked the idea of planting in the center. There is a sturdy ceramic piece in there taking up most of the space, and I don't know how to remove it.
    I haven't had time to do anything else to the lamp.
    I did take a couple pics tonight. They aren't very good.
    This is with the flash on, at night.
    The linked pic is without the flash. Obviously. :P
    http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/9/4/1/0/3/webimg/289004661_o.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES