Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verdigris metal and cement

Posted by frankielynn 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:21

This is my first attempt at verdigrising metal cranes and some cement kitties. I used spray paints and it went quick and not very messy. I hope I can get the pictures to show up. If this doesn't work can someone walk me thru it. I read about how to do it but I'm not sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verdigris metal and cement

I got just the first picture to show up. I thought it would be the photo bucket folder??? I will try again.

o

I went to a picture of the kitties and did that address but it didn't show up. I know I need some help.

o

Well?? I chose a photo from my computer to upload and it came up. Didn't use the photobucket. I am confused?? Thanks for being patient with me.

o

How I did them--
1. Sprayed 2 coats of base (copper-metalic for cranes and black for kitties-satin finish.)
2.Sprayed the cranes/kitties with a fine mist of water.
3.Tore up/cut a sponge in 3" gobs, saturated sponge, sprayed turquoise paint on sponge and wiped over wet crane/copper metalic on kitties WEAR GLOVES. If you get too much in one area you can spray base color on wet sponge and dab over area.
4. Sprayed sponge with 3rd color and dabbed on crane/charcoal, kitties/turquoise. They will be sticky feeling after each new sponged on paint color and will need to dry between coats.
5.Coated each piece with clear satin 3 or 4 coats.

I found that you can tone down/mix colors by using a throw away plastic bowl.
1.Wet bowl, spray colors in bowl on top of each other, I did black and turquoise together and dab/swirl at color to load on sponge.

I threw away the sponges and gloves after each layer. The sponge will get sticky and break down as you go so you have to spray color on a new section as you work.

If it has more color or darker color in places you can go back and rub/dab over those areas. That way you can't mess up.

o

hey there -- i can see both pictures, so i'm not sure why you're concerned

they look great - i'd've never guessed they were cement! - great job!

o

They turned out great! Thanks for the tutorial as well!

o

These look great! Thanks for the tutorial.

o

• Posted by cnm1 6 Oh (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 5:32

They do look great!! Thank you for for tips

o

Both pics came thru...they look great! Thanks for good tutorial, too! Jeanne S.

o

Thanks for showing us! I think that would work on plastic and resin things too!

When I had a digital camera (it quit!), and I could post pictures I preferred coming straight from the computer, rather that using another site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here