Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lara_gw

Fountains: Show me yours and I'll show you mine

Lara
15 years ago

I so need to be inspired to start a new fountain, I've got some ideas but I need a little push to get started. Here's a pic of my old fountain I created a few years back, it's time to put it back up on the porch again. I want to make something for my backyard garden this time. Thanks for any tips and pics!

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (46)

• shysue
    15 years ago

Lara, here is my pitcher pump fountain.

{{gwi:149664}}

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Here's mine...like Shysue's old pump fountain... but the bottom tub is buried in the ground and you cannot see it in this pic. This is at the corner of my house right off a cement patio. I love it! And so do the treefrogs. Also my grandkids love putting tadpoles in this pond from the bigger yard pond (pic also attached). Jeanne S.

{{gwi:126998}}

{{gwi:127000}}

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Here is one my DH made. He bought the red fountain at a yard sale,it's a reproduction new in the box, for a few dollars or so,and the pump from an old fountain at the GW for a few dollars. He bought the plastic tubing where the goldfish are,and the galvanized tub and glass ball floats all at Walmart.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:139191}}

• Orcascove
    15 years ago

Here is a link to the one I just made the other day. It still needs real grass, but I have decided on the fiberoptic variety someone suggested.

Here is a link that might be useful: My strawberry pot bubbling fountain

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I love everyones fountains...heres mine..
    {{gwi:149665}}

{{gwi:149666}}

{{gwi:149667}}
    {{gwi:149668}}

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

What fun! They all look great. A friend just gave me a pump she didn't want, now I have inspiration to create!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Great pics! I love all these ideas also! Cindee, I love the way you used old stuff...the bathtubs & buckets & watering cans...great! I also bought that same "mermaid" last summer...isn't she a beauty!

Here's another fountain I forgot to post...bubbly ball. Have fun creating! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:149670}}

• jroot
    15 years ago

I just built this one this year. We are on a sloped lot with a retaining wall running across part way. So, this one is built partially on the wall. It is made from a cattle watering trough, with a bottom drain. There are water lilies in the pond as well. The fountain portion is a fiberglass pot which I found on sale earlier this spring. I drilled a hole into the bottom, inserted a copper tube, place the pump in the watering trough, and VOILA. My fountain. It looked to plain on the front, so I created the little design from left-over wood strips to resembel a stylized plant complete with roots on the bottom, a stem and 4 branches on the top.

In the raised planting sections, there are brugmanisa at the back, tall dahlias, cleome, pelargonia, wave petunias, and alyssum. Canna lilies are along both sides. It is still early, but by mid summer, it should be spectacular.

{{gwi:149672}}

{{gwi:131923}}

{{gwi:131194}}

The fireplace is built from left over paving stones, complete with an old fireplace fender. An old iron thermometer is in place of a fire screen. The chimney is an old concrete plant I had from the old house, with pansies in the top. Iron rabbits decorate the top with an iron candelabra into which I have placed 3 solar lamps. Yes, the fireplace works, but because we are so close to the bush, and there are often fire restrictions, I have place a realistic propane firepit.

• dust_in_the_attic
    15 years ago

{{gwi:149675}}

• mayme
    15 years ago

I don't have one but sure loved looking at all of yours.
    Mayme

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

WoW!!! you girls have some pretty ones.Here is one of mine.
    {{gwi:149677}}
    the other
    {{gwi:149678}}
    {{gwi:149679}}

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Here is my fountain, it's looking pretty sad but I plan to overhaul it/freshen it up! My kids think I'm crazy to think a sink of dishes is a cool fountain...lol! It makes the nicest sound!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:149650}}

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

wow great ponds. I am enjoying this post. They are all so cool!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

oh WOW, I have a serious case of Fountain ENVY. These are all so unique and wonderful.
    jroot, your yard is lovely and those iron rabbits to die for, LOL.
    I might have to start a Fountain 'n Pond Album on Photobucket just so these gorgeous photos don't get lost and I can continue to enjoy them! Definitely need to do this.

hugs, Karen

• Bright199
    15 years ago

I have sooo totally enjoyed this post. I love every single one of the fountians. I am green with envy since we don't even have one!!!
    Karen, was wondering if you had started saving them yet...LOL!!!

Sooo many different versions. Soo many talented people.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Oh wow, love all these fountains!
    Nanatricia...could I see a close-up of the mosaic butterfly?? Did you make it?? It's beautiful :)

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

OK, Here's mine. Mostly of my big pond out back and at different years. The last two photos were from last late summer.
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie's pond

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Jules - I can't see them...it just shows "stacked slides" and says "end of Julie's slide show." Jeanne S.
    Love all the ponds/fountains! Purplemoon, that's a great idea...more work & late nights for you! Thanks!

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Ok, let's see if this link works. Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Collection of pond pics

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Jules - Your pond is so UNIQUE!!! I love the evening photos...beautiful! A great idea! Jeanne S.

• danpv
    15 years ago

I'm not nearly as creative, so I bought a fountain. I want to replace the standard pump with a solar powered pump. Problem is that I need a solar pump capable of lifting a water column up to three feet and all I can find in my extensive online search is 1-2' lifting solar pumps.

Anyone know where I can find a solar water pump with a 3-foot lift?

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

Beautiful ponds and fountains! I've really enjoyed seeing all of them.

Calamity, your sink of dishes has such great humor in it!! I love the concept of making something so mundane, so enjoyable.

Nana, did you use a mold for your butterfly? How big is it? It's simply beautiful!

Be Safe, Rach

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I don't even know where to begin!
    I am definately going to do a fountain!
    That otter in the tub is just tooooo cute!
    You guys are the bomb!

• Lara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just love all of your pics, I don't have a favorite, I mean...how can you choose?? Wow, lots of originality/creativity out there!

OMG, I too was planning on making a sink full of dishes fountain. I've been collecting brightly colored dishes, but I still hadn't figured out how to insert the faucet. I was inspired by an HGTV link about different type fountains at a water feature show in N.Y. There's a cool video, if I find it again, I'll come back and post it here. Thanks again for all the pics, and keep posting , we can never get tired of viewing all those wonderful fountains!!

• bluestarmom
    15 years ago

Wow! You all have some beautiful fountains and other garden decor! I love the fireplace too!

• lefd05
    15 years ago

Wow, you guys have some great fountains.
    I have all the items I need to make one of the bed fountains/ponds but I just seem to never get the time to get it done. The old washer fountain is awesome!! I just passed one of those up a few weeks back because I didn't know what I would do with it, now I want to cry. LOL!:)

• jroot
    15 years ago

In early June, I showed you my recent pond construction. Here are a couple of shots today, with the garden filling in. The brugs are starting to bud; the dahlias are blooming; the cleome is doing really well; the water lilies have started blooming as well.

{{gwi:131920}}
    {{gwi:131921}}

I also added some more bird houses to the scene. One is a castle ( I think I lived in the middle ages in an earlier life LOL ). Another is a pagoda style. My friend thinks it should be higher in the middle, in which case I would hav to make new beams for the roof. What do you think? Should I redo the roof of the pagoda style birdhouse?
    {{gwi:149654}}
    {{gwi:149657}}
    {{gwi:149658}}

This last shot shows a mirror I placed on a support system I built to hold up the fence between my neighbour and us. It adds a nice depth to the property.
    {{gwi:149661}}

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

jroot - Your updated pic of your fountain/pond is awesome! Everything looks great...love the birdhouses you constructed and especially love the vignette of the mirror/fence support! I wouldn't change a thing! Just keep those beautiful plants/gardens coming!

Love all the fountains/ponds! Great ideas! Jeanne S.

• jroot
    15 years ago

Thanks, jeannespines. I appreciate your input.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

oh WOW......that mirror garden area is simply gorgeous!
    I love all your stuff for that matter.

Hugs, Karen

• shawnee
    15 years ago

Ok here's my fountain in the backyard of my poor tornado'd orchard:

[IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/shawnee_54/folder4018-1.jpg[/IMG]

I do so enjoy all the ponds pictured here!

• neesie
    15 years ago

Calamity, your fountain picture no longer shows up! Can you post it again???? I was telling my husband about it.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Shawnee - Your web connection says "photo has been removed or..." Try again! Jeanne S.

• neesie
    15 years ago

Bump. I'm still interested in seeing the sink full-o-dishes fountain, especially since I just had a new sink installed and don't know what to do with the old one!

• neesie
    15 years ago

Bump. I'm still interested in seeing the sink full-o-dishes fountain, especially since I just had a new sink installed and don't know what to do with the old one!

• daybees
    15 years ago

Great fountains you guys. Thanks for all the wonderful pics. great idea for a post lara.
    Now I'm so inspired to make one. Ill keep you posted on what happens.
    Deb

• mcduff1313
    15 years ago

Wow those fountains are all so cool!!!! I love fountains they are fun to make. I have a new one just about ready, it is a cast concrete fountain and tomorrow I am taking it out of the mold...cant wait to see how it turns out....

• barnbatt
    15 years ago

I'm thinking about purchasing a 3 tier fountain. However was going to put in afternoon sun. Worried about the water evaporating. Is this a concern?? I will only have running while I'm home. Pros and cons remarks are welcome.

barnbatt

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

What great fountains!! I love seeing everyone's creations!

Here is my patio fountain. It is visible and audible from the enclosed porch, the patio dining area to the left and the swing seating area in the foreground. We get so much enjoyment from it! The blue fogger is awesome at night! Sometimes I light votive candles and put them on the different levels. It's pretty cool!

{{gwi:149689}}

Below is the in-ground fountain that was my project this past spring. It used to be above the ground and just didn't cut it! I almost killed myself moving stones and digging the hole, but it paid off. It sits below our bedroom windows, so we can hear it at night. (Could be why I make so many trips to the bathroom...ya think?! )

{{gwi:149691}}

I also have a revolving marble-orb fountain inside the porch, but I don't have a picture of it.

My favorite place to be during the summer is in my swing with a good book. The sound of the fountain is so soothing!

~Sandy~

• Marquisa
    15 years ago

Greetings: I'm new to the board and can't tell you how much I'm enjoying the creativity that you all have! This is the first year I've been playing with junk in the garden (or as DH calls it "repurposed materials") and I have made 4 garden fountains from items either found, bought (from estate/yard sales) or cast myself with concrete. Each of the fountains runs by a little solar pump so I am limited to the height that I can construct them (about 20" tall), but so far, the pumps have been very reliable (as long as the sun is out, that is!). The great thing is that I can place them in any sunny location in any garden without having to worry about electricity. You can see one of the solar panels at the base of the gargoyle on cauldron fountain.

Sorry I can't seem to figure out how to place images in this message, but my Google group is linked below. The fountains are at the end of my daylily seedling photos.

Cheers,
    Marquisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa Group

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Marquisa - Your fountains are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them...and I love the idea of the solar pump. What source do you use for solar pumps? Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Welcome, Marquisa. Your fountains are all really neat. I didn't even know you could get a solar pump for one. I think I might need to look into that now!

Karen

• Marquisa
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice welcome jeannespines and purplemoon. The solar pumps I am now using are tiny. The panel is only 4.5 inches square and the pump is 1" x 1.5" inches.They reliably lift water up a 3/8" tube to a height of 20" in full sun. I've had them working since May and there has been no reduction in their power and they seem quite weatherproof.

Though you won't get a big fountain effect with these little pumps, with a bit of tinkering with your materials you can get a nice splash, movement and water sound -- so far, I'm very happy with them as I love to hear the sound of water in my gardens.

There is a 15 foot cord so it gives me quite a large area to find a spot in full sun for the panel. The pumps also come with a couple of different fountain heads if you don't want to pump water up a tube, but I don't think the lift would be very high with those.

I've been buying mine from eBay from several sellers in China (the brand name on the back of the pump is Kingdomfly if that helps). The price is about $15. for the pump and panel and $10. for shipping. If you live in the US (I'm in Canada) you may be able to find them from a US seller a bit cheaper with domestic shipping. I believe that the vast majority of these little solar pumps are made in China though. Mine arrived from Hong Kong in about 10 days.

This winter I plan to spend some time with a couple of new projects -- one based on a Japanese shishi-odoshi (deer scarer) and another using a brass trumpet, French horn and hunting horn (none in working condition) I bought at a local auction barn.

Cheers,
    Marquisa

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Marquisa. I'm very interested in that solar pump. My future bathtub pond will work great with that.

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

I am in awe...

shocked and amazed! WOW they are all so beautiful... I esp love the frogs & the bathing beauty seal! LOL

• wandaredhead
    15 years ago

OOooh, I am so inspired (and green with envy).

Here's the fountain on the hot tub inside my sunroom.

{{gwi:149692}}