Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need garden junk ideas-theme help!

Posted by eclecticcottage none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 13:43

I have decided to make one of my beds a theme bed.

Short version of background story:
We just bought a small cottage on Lake Ontario, this is our year round home. You can see our thrifty, junkmarket, vintage cottage style theme going on here: [url]http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/[/url] . I have several beds, one of which has garden junk (discarded bench, wood totes, a barrel, an old school desk, a basket as a planter, etc). I plan to use "junk" in all of the beds and garden areas at some point.

My new bed, the theme bed, has me stumped for ideas for some reason. The theme is "lake/beach". I am gathering a list of plants with names that fit the theme. It will be @ 6' deep, 10' wide and gets mid day and afternoon sun. It is on the side of the Cottage and doesn't get much foot traffic, it will be between a flowering quince and a picket fence for our veggie garden, with no current plans for a walkway (just grass).

So far I have:
Sea Shell Cosmos
Yellow Sand Coreopsis
Sand Love Grass
"Nautical" and "Beach Comber" mix petunias
Lake Currants
Cottage pinks (Dianthus)
Summer Breeze Hosta
Beach Music Day Lily
Great Lakes gold hosta
Coastal Mist bearded iris
Toy Boat dwarf Iris
Beach Dance iris
Ship Shape Iris
Lake Effect day lily
Lakeside Pebbles Hosta
Aye Captian day lily
Great Lakes Gladiola
Sea Lavender
Sea holly
Queen O The Lakes rose
Sea thrift
Rosa rugosa/beach rose

Now I need to work some good junk in there that fits the theme. Or I'd like to anyway. I am also thinking of building a bird bath with a driftwood log as the base and casting my own concrete top (I can't think of anything else to use for the top). I can always go with found objects like I have (I haven't bought any of my junk except the desk, for $5, yet). I just watch for people throwing out interesting stuff, lol. I am trying to collect stuff for it. So far I have a bunch of fishing poles, a few nets and a boat anchor. I just really can't think of what to put in there, or how to use what I have! HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need garden junk ideas-theme help!

I guess url tags don't work, huh? Let's try that link again, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage blog

o

An old weathered piece of snowfence such as you see at the beach for drifting sand would look good, along with ornamental grasses. Some coquina rock (compressed shells) would look great also - we brought some big ones home from Florida once and I love it. Some old weathered arrow shaped signs on a post would be neat too - pointing different directions with words on them, lake, beach, lighthouse, marina, etc.

o

Some old rope hanging off an old post with anchor at other end, BB painted to look like beach ball, couple of pairs of brightly colored flip-flops at edge of bed. Sounds like fun theme!! Jan

o

Oh...lucky you, sounds like a beautiful place & cottage home! We have an above ground pool so I use nautical gardening in front of the pool deck ...here's a pic where used 3 old posts w/rope...been out there about 10 yrs next to shop bldg ...the ball fountain we made pouring cement into a cut-open basketball, buried a feed tub, added a pump, grill grate & piled rocks around the ball on top of grate...works great, too!

I like 'anchors, too ... old rope, large seashells & mermaids! Can't believe you found all those plants w/names for your theme! Have fun! Jeanne S.

Ball Fountain Pool Deck Garden 6.12

o

You often see a life-preserver on a post at a lake. That might be a cute way to store your hose if need be in that area, hanging in a coil on a hook, to resemble a float. Even with the sign "life preserver" - a cute pun.

o

Just a thought, how about an old, falling apart wood john boat/canoe? Something that isn't really water-safe. Cut it in half length-wise and set it against the back edge. You can either have the inside of the boat facing forward and fill it with plantings or flip it the other way, so that the hull is facing forward. Use a jigsaw to cut gator bites/ stump holes in the hull and place plants there.

I am actually going to be doing something similar in my bed, but I'll be using the prow of a wooden boat instead.

o

I have had a whole boat for a number of years, but for some reason it dries out FAST.
And I have several sets of posts from downed electric
poles (thanks to hurricane Ivan)
Speaking of which, I need to be out weeding around
the boat, so I can put down plastic and mulch.
But here I am as usual, sitting at the PC and
Dreaming about OTHER things I want to do out there-HA.

o

Lots of great ideas here, thanks!

Yes, we are extremely lucky to live here. It took us about 10 years of searching to find a place that we could afford and didn't need so much work that it wasn't worth it.

Flip flops! That reminded me, I have these forms to use to make flip flop stepping stones!

I've updated my plant list, too bad some of the lilies are SO expensive ($40 for one-that would be Cottage On The Lake-yikes!!)

"Nautical mix" petunias
"beach comber" mix petunias
Coastal Mist bearded iris
Toy Boat dwarf Iris
Sandy Beach Iris
Beach Dance iris
Ship Shape Iris
Ships Are Sailing Siberian Iris
Dover Beach Iris
Lake Effect day lily
Aye Captian day lily
Beach Music Day Lily
Moonlight Sail Day Lily
Celestial Shore Day Lily
Sailing Along Day Lily
Aye Captian day lily
Cottage on the lake day lily
Gull's Way Daylily
Queen O The Lakes rose
Rosa rugosa/beach rose
Cottage Rose
Lake Ontario hosta
Lakeside Breaking Waves hosta
Lakeside Pebbles Hosta
Lakeside Shoremaster Hosta
El Capitan Hosta
Summer Breeze Hosta
Great Lakes Gladiola
Sea Shell Cosmos
Yellow Sand Coreopsis
Sand Love Grass
Lake Currants
Cottage pinks (Dianthus)
Splish Splash Larkspur
Lobelia Regatta "Marine Blue"
Lobelia Regatta "Blue Splash"
Perennial Gerenium "splish splash"
clustered bellflower "marine"
beach pea
beach bluebells

I already have Dover Beach (iris) and Rosa Rugosa thanks to a plant swap over the past weekend.

o

I think toy boats as planters would be nice. Someone here covered pots and maybe bowling balls with big thick rope wound around. They looked very nautical.
You could glue sea shells or mussel shells to the outside of a shallow bowl to use as a bird bath. Concrete might be too heavy for a drift wood base.
Have fun,
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here