Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

I need garden junk ideas-theme help!

eclecticcottage
11 years ago

I have decided to make one of my beds a theme bed.

Short version of background story:

We just bought a small cottage on Lake Ontario, this is our year round home. You can see our thrifty, junkmarket, vintage cottage style theme going on here: [url]http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/[/url] . I have several beds, one of which has garden junk (discarded bench, wood totes, a barrel, an old school desk, a basket as a planter, etc). I plan to use "junk" in all of the beds and garden areas at some point.

My new bed, the theme bed, has me stumped for ideas for some reason. The theme is "lake/beach". I am gathering a list of plants with names that fit the theme. It will be @ 6' deep, 10' wide and gets mid day and afternoon sun. It is on the side of the Cottage and doesn't get much foot traffic, it will be between a flowering quince and a picket fence for our veggie garden, with no current plans for a walkway (just grass).

So far I have:

Sea Shell Cosmos

Yellow Sand Coreopsis

Sand Love Grass

"Nautical" and "Beach Comber" mix petunias

Lake Currants

Cottage pinks (Dianthus)

Summer Breeze Hosta

Beach Music Day Lily

Great Lakes gold hosta

Coastal Mist bearded iris

Toy Boat dwarf Iris

Beach Dance iris

Ship Shape Iris

Lake Effect day lily

Lakeside Pebbles Hosta

Aye Captian day lily

Great Lakes Gladiola

Sea Lavender

Sea holly

Queen O The Lakes rose

Sea thrift

Rosa rugosa/beach rose

Now I need to work some good junk in there that fits the theme. Or I'd like to anyway. I am also thinking of building a bird bath with a driftwood log as the base and casting my own concrete top (I can't think of anything else to use for the top). I can always go with found objects like I have (I haven't bought any of my junk except the desk, for $5, yet). I just watch for people throwing out interesting stuff, lol. I am trying to collect stuff for it. So far I have a bunch of fishing poles, a few nets and a boat anchor. I just really can't think of what to put in there, or how to use what I have! HELP!

Comments (9)

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess url tags don't work, huh? Let's try that link again, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage blog

• luvs2click
    11 years ago

An old weathered piece of snowfence such as you see at the beach for drifting sand would look good, along with ornamental grasses. Some coquina rock (compressed shells) would look great also - we brought some big ones home from Florida once and I love it. Some old weathered arrow shaped signs on a post would be neat too - pointing different directions with words on them, lake, beach, lighthouse, marina, etc.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Some old rope hanging off an old post with anchor at other end, BB painted to look like beach ball, couple of pairs of brightly colored flip-flops at edge of bed. Sounds like fun theme!! Jan

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Oh...lucky you, sounds like a beautiful place & cottage home! We have an above ground pool so I use nautical gardening in front of the pool deck ...here's a pic where used 3 old posts w/rope...been out there about 10 yrs next to shop bldg ...the ball fountain we made pouring cement into a cut-open basketball, buried a feed tub, added a pump, grill grate & piled rocks around the ball on top of grate...works great, too!

I like 'anchors, too ... old rope, large seashells & mermaids! Can't believe you found all those plants w/names for your theme! Have fun! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:149896}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

You often see a life-preserver on a post at a lake. That might be a cute way to store your hose if need be in that area, hanging in a coil on a hook, to resemble a float. Even with the sign "life preserver" - a cute pun.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Just a thought, how about an old, falling apart wood john boat/canoe? Something that isn't really water-safe. Cut it in half length-wise and set it against the back edge. You can either have the inside of the boat facing forward and fill it with plantings or flip it the other way, so that the hull is facing forward. Use a jigsaw to cut gator bites/ stump holes in the hull and place plants there.

I am actually going to be doing something similar in my bed, but I'll be using the prow of a wooden boat instead.

• nonacook
    11 years ago

I have had a whole boat for a number of years, but for some reason it dries out FAST.
    And I have several sets of posts from downed electric
    poles (thanks to hurricane Ivan)
    Speaking of which, I need to be out weeding around
    the boat, so I can put down plastic and mulch.
    But here I am as usual, sitting at the PC and
    Dreaming about OTHER things I want to do out there-HA.

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lots of great ideas here, thanks!

Yes, we are extremely lucky to live here. It took us about 10 years of searching to find a place that we could afford and didn't need so much work that it wasn't worth it.

Flip flops! That reminded me, I have these forms to use to make flip flop stepping stones!

I've updated my plant list, too bad some of the lilies are SO expensive ($40 for one-that would be Cottage On The Lake-yikes!!)

"Nautical mix" petunias
    "beach comber" mix petunias
    Coastal Mist bearded iris
    Toy Boat dwarf Iris
    Sandy Beach Iris
    Beach Dance iris
    Ship Shape Iris
    Ships Are Sailing Siberian Iris
    Dover Beach Iris
    Lake Effect day lily
    Aye Captian day lily
    Beach Music Day Lily
    Moonlight Sail Day Lily
    Celestial Shore Day Lily
    Sailing Along Day Lily
    Aye Captian day lily
    Cottage on the lake day lily
    Gull's Way Daylily
    Queen O The Lakes rose
    Rosa rugosa/beach rose
    Cottage Rose
    Lake Ontario hosta
    Lakeside Breaking Waves hosta
    Lakeside Pebbles Hosta
    Lakeside Shoremaster Hosta
    El Capitan Hosta
    Summer Breeze Hosta
    Great Lakes Gladiola
    Sea Shell Cosmos
    Yellow Sand Coreopsis
    Sand Love Grass
    Lake Currants
    Cottage pinks (Dianthus)
    Splish Splash Larkspur
    Lobelia Regatta "Marine Blue"
    Lobelia Regatta "Blue Splash"
    Perennial Gerenium "splish splash"
    clustered bellflower "marine"
    beach pea
    beach bluebells

I already have Dover Beach (iris) and Rosa Rugosa thanks to a plant swap over the past weekend.

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

I think toy boats as planters would be nice. Someone here covered pots and maybe bowling balls with big thick rope wound around. They looked very nautical.
    You could glue sea shells or mussel shells to the outside of a shallow bowl to use as a bird bath. Concrete might be too heavy for a drift wood base.
    Have fun,
    Kathy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus