Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adina72

Carousel Horse & More

Dottie B.
14 years ago

I am so excited to have found this metal carousel horse when we were antiquing last week. I plan on painting it, possibly doing a mosaic collar on it and placing it in the garden. It's really heavy, maybe 80+ pounds and stands almost 5 feet tall. I wonder if it was ever on a real carousel at some point. It's been repaired, which is why I got it so cheap ($43 plus tax).

Any ideas what else I could do with it? Right now, I'm thinking of painting it to look like a real carousel horse...maybe a white or cream body with bright colored saddle and accessories.

{{gwi:149939}}

I also found too cool pieces when we were on vacation in the Poconos. This is a dragonfly and the other is a hummingbird.

{{gwi:149940}}

{{gwi:149941}}

{{gwi:149942}}

Almost forgot...this planter goes well with the hummingbird.

{{gwi:149943}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

Comments (21)

• leveta
    14 years ago

Love your finds...I still love to ride the big carousel horses...I always went for the black ones...I'm sure what ever you do will be fantastic...

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Adina, Also check out the mosaic forum to see the mosaiced horse. You a found such a fantastic project!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Fantastic finds!
    Check out the 2 horses pictured in the thread below which was in trash to treasure last fall. You have to scroll down through quite a few messages to get to the second one but its worth it!
    kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted carousel horses

• Dottie B.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting that link...I hadn't got around to doing a search on horses yet. I need to patch a couple of holes this weekend and then I hope to get started next week.

• leveta
    14 years ago

LOVE that sunflower one...

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

You got some GREAT stuff. I'm a vivid green right now, LOL.
    Especially on the carousel horse find. I have a Wonder Pony I'm going to paint one of these days. Here's a link to a lady to makes and sells Carousel horses, you can find lots of ideas on her site I think. I've been trying to make a final decision on what I want to do.

Congratulations on a super bunch of yard goodies!
    hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: carousel horses

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

FANTASTIC stuff Love it all.

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I have 4 'jumpy' horses of different sizes.
    Now to find the time to paint!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

WOW! Great finds! Luv the metal pcs....especially the hummer! That carousel horse is awesome! Have lots of fun with your new GJ! Jeanne S. ... ps. don't forget to share more pics when they are in place!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Love all your goodies!! The dragonfly is really nice & so is the horse!! They are so expensive out here!!Great buy!!Have fun making him over!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

What a haul Adina!! LOVE the carousel horse! He will look awesome wherever you put him! And the dragonfly and hummingbird...well...I'm wiping the drool off of my keyboard! Great finds!

• carousel222
    14 years ago

The carousel horse was sold in garden centers, so it's not from an actual carousel. You did get a good deal on it. I have a cement carousel horse in my garden. I also have several rocking horses that I plan on making into carousels. I have done one so far. I've seen pictures of them in gardens, so this guy would definitely look nice in your garden. Having a vine run up the pole might be nice.

• Dottie B.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carousel222 - Thanks for the info on where this may have originated. I had no idea these would be sold in garden centers.

• akup_a
    14 years ago

Lucky you to get a horsey & all your other goodies too! He's going to be the Majestic in your garden kingdom.
    Vickie

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

I am so envious of your spectacular finds, adina! And such bargains! I paid 3 times the price of your magnificent carousel horse for my small aluminum playground pony.

I think your carousel horse would look lovely painted like a horse on a real merry-go-round. I'd paint all the little gee-gaws on its bridle and saddle bright colors. I think it would really set off the cream color you plan for the body and bring the creature to life. I hope you post more pictures when this steed is installed in your garden.

I love your other metal art creatures too!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

All are wonderful finds but that carousel horse is fantastic! And the price was sooo good. I love those horses but I think I'll be satisfied to get the two childrens' plastic rocking horses DH bot me painted.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Great pics, love all the rusty garden art pieces, but especially that great Carousel Horse! I'm salivating! What a find, and with only $43 invested you can feel better about putting it outside. It will be a great focal point in your garden. Can't wait to see what you do with it and where you put it in your garden! ~tenderlee

• jlily
    14 years ago

All of your projects are great. BUT the carousel horse is marvelous!! I can't wait to see it when yiu are done. JLily

• cheribelle
    14 years ago

Here's what I do with the plastic ones

{{gwi:149944}}

This one is painted with the faux stone spray paint. Prime it first with the kind that sticks to plastic.

This one wasn't primed, I was in a hurry, so it is an appaloosa!

{{gwi:149945}}

• Dottie B.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's awesome cheribelle! Now I need to find a plastic one....LOL. I've used that fleckstone paint on bowling balls....really makes them look like stone.

• blossomsandlace
    14 years ago

Great finds, cant wait to see what you you do with it.

Betty

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH