Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carousel Horse & More

Posted by adina72 z5 CNY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 13:48

I am so excited to have found this metal carousel horse when we were antiquing last week. I plan on painting it, possibly doing a mosaic collar on it and placing it in the garden. It's really heavy, maybe 80+ pounds and stands almost 5 feet tall. I wonder if it was ever on a real carousel at some point. It's been repaired, which is why I got it so cheap ($43 plus tax).

Any ideas what else I could do with it? Right now, I'm thinking of painting it to look like a real carousel horse...maybe a white or cream body with bright colored saddle and accessories.
IMG_0681.JPG

I also found too cool pieces when we were on vacation in the Poconos. This is a dragonfly and the other is a hummingbird.
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG

Almost forgot...this planter goes well with the hummingbird.
IMG_0674.JPG

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carousel Horse & More

Love your finds...I still love to ride the big carousel horses...I always went for the black ones...I'm sure what ever you do will be fantastic...

o

Adina, Also check out the mosaic forum to see the mosaiced horse. You a found such a fantastic project!!!!

o

Fantastic finds!
Check out the 2 horses pictured in the thread below which was in trash to treasure last fall. You have to scroll down through quite a few messages to get to the second one but its worth it!
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted carousel horses

o

Thank you for posting that link...I hadn't got around to doing a search on horses yet. I need to patch a couple of holes this weekend and then I hope to get started next week.

o

LOVE that sunflower one...

o

You got some GREAT stuff. I'm a vivid green right now, LOL.
Especially on the carousel horse find. I have a Wonder Pony I'm going to paint one of these days. Here's a link to a lady to makes and sells Carousel horses, you can find lots of ideas on her site I think. I've been trying to make a final decision on what I want to do.

Congratulations on a super bunch of yard goodies!
hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: carousel horses

o

FANTASTIC stuff Love it all.

o

I have 4 'jumpy' horses of different sizes.
Now to find the time to paint!

o

WOW! Great finds! Luv the metal pcs....especially the hummer! That carousel horse is awesome! Have lots of fun with your new GJ! Jeanne S. ... ps. don't forget to share more pics when they are in place!

o

Love all your goodies!! The dragonfly is really nice & so is the horse!! They are so expensive out here!!Great buy!!Have fun making him over!! Jan

o

What a haul Adina!! LOVE the carousel horse! He will look awesome wherever you put him! And the dragonfly and hummingbird...well...I'm wiping the drool off of my keyboard! Great finds!

o

The carousel horse was sold in garden centers, so it's not from an actual carousel. You did get a good deal on it. I have a cement carousel horse in my garden. I also have several rocking horses that I plan on making into carousels. I have done one so far. I've seen pictures of them in gardens, so this guy would definitely look nice in your garden. Having a vine run up the pole might be nice.

o

Carousel222 - Thanks for the info on where this may have originated. I had no idea these would be sold in garden centers.

o

Lucky you to get a horsey & all your other goodies too! He's going to be the Majestic in your garden kingdom.
Vickie

o

I am so envious of your spectacular finds, adina! And such bargains! I paid 3 times the price of your magnificent carousel horse for my small aluminum playground pony.

I think your carousel horse would look lovely painted like a horse on a real merry-go-round. I'd paint all the little gee-gaws on its bridle and saddle bright colors. I think it would really set off the cream color you plan for the body and bring the creature to life. I hope you post more pictures when this steed is installed in your garden.

I love your other metal art creatures too!

o

All are wonderful finds but that carousel horse is fantastic! And the price was sooo good. I love those horses but I think I'll be satisfied to get the two childrens' plastic rocking horses DH bot me painted.

o

Great pics, love all the rusty garden art pieces, but especially that great Carousel Horse! I'm salivating! What a find, and with only $43 invested you can feel better about putting it outside. It will be a great focal point in your garden. Can't wait to see what you do with it and where you put it in your garden! ~tenderlee

o

All of your projects are great. BUT the carousel horse is marvelous!! I can't wait to see it when yiu are done. JLily

o

Here's what I do with the plastic ones

Photobucket

This one is painted with the faux stone spray paint. Prime it first with the kind that sticks to plastic.

This one wasn't primed, I was in a hurry, so it is an appaloosa!

Photobucket

o

That's awesome cheribelle! Now I need to find a plastic one....LOL. I've used that fleckstone paint on bowling balls....really makes them look like stone.

o

Great finds, cant wait to see what you you do with it.

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here