Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

How to make a casual looking totem?

sweets98
16 years ago

This may seem like a really silly question but I just have to ask! I have visited this forum for years and have seen so many totem photos but have yet to make one of my own! I know, it's shocking! My problem is that I have a really casual, rustic way of decorating. The inside of my home is decorated with Primitive antiques and I'm working on using the same outside. So the fancy cut glass and stemware and other items many of you use in your gardens for totems, just will not do here!

I once thought maybe I could use jars or something but never really got to it. I wasn't sure what I could use for the dishes and stuff then? Regular old solid colored plates? Any ideas to possibly get me motivated?

Comments (29)

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I made one with summer plastics...A large bowl on the bottom, plates, glasses, cereal bowls. Mine happens to be orange and yellow, but there are all colors (and striped) plates and bowls out there. I think it is sort of casual......It has been out for 2 years now. Faded a little, but not much. Stuff came from Big Lots.

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know I do remember I attempted one now! I used the black heavy pots that plants and shrubs come in and the bowls that salads come in from fast food restraunts. I then sprayed the whole thing with Fleckstone paint. I hated it! LOL It didn't match really and I never found the "right" place for it.

I was just thinking..maybe pie pans and pots and jars? But they wouldn't exactly sparkle like the others!

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I actually think the totems look old fashioned and primitive. LOL I have a lot of Primitives in my yard and house too and I think the totems I have fit right in. I don't think any one thing would wrong. Maybe if you just had one or two it would fit in to your garden. I really like the "garden Lady" totems the best.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Someone in the past made a totem from metal items. I think that it was then spray painted all one color. You could make a cool one if you knew someone who could weld. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

Use casual dishes, everyday ones....use mason jars or jelly jars. I made one with all brown and a teacup and saucer on top. I hung glass stars out if it on fishin line and glued some inside...it makes a clinging sound when water or wind hits the stars.

{{gwi:149951}}

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

What do you think about making a totem out of copper or brass pieces? Those two elements can be considered primitive in nature? I was looking around at an antique store tonight and they had several reasonably priced brass pieces such as candlesticks that you could use in a totem. Have you also considered painting your pieces to give them a rustic garden look? Use a "matte sealant" on them so they aren't shiny.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Who was it made something from the terra cotta and blue mason jars? Those were nice, I really liked them. How about using galvanized pots and buckets,metal pie pans,enamalware? Maybe dishes in the same colors as Fiesta ware,they have newer ones like that,that I've already seen in thrift stores.

• tasymo
    16 years ago

I like Kudzukween's idea- use colorful crockery. I'm sure you can find stuff at thrift stores and yard sales. Or maybe some hand thrown pottery- I'm always finding that at sales. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Twomonths, I love that totem you did !!!! Its really different. Are the brown pieces vases or what? That is just too cool looking.

Karen

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Sweets - wait, I forgot about this - just in the past month or so, someone on here made a tipsey pot display using galvanized buckets and a galvanized watering can at the top. The whole display with the planted flowers was gorgeous. It was very prim/rustic looking. Yes I know it's not a totem, but same stacking concept. I thoroughly understand your thoughts of wanting that specific look as I decorate prim/country also. I will admit I have strayed from that decorating theme in my gardens but I just adore so many of the GJ items made on here. My totem is made with glass pieces but I thought the use of the candles on top did give it a country look.

Does anyone remember that specific galvanized tub/buckets/watering can tipsey pot display? Who made that, can you repost that pic?

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I think once again, I "thought" something was impossible but I was just not opening my mind up! I used to be so good at coming up with new ideas but then I had the second child and I'm just so busy with them that it seems some of my creativity went away :(

I saw some neat plates at DG that look like something I would have outside. They are 50¢ a piece right now on clerance but I'll have to go somewhere else for like cups and other things because they're out of those. I could check the TS but it's hard for me to get into that section because DD goes from the toy room to the baby section! LOL

I'll just have to open my mind up the next time I'm there :)

• gotonenerveleft
    16 years ago

Here's the totem made from pots and mason jars. Thanks for remembering them. They do look more rustic and primitive than the fancy glass ones...but I like those too. Lol! These were so easy to make but I did make the mistake of using plastic saucers at the top and they would not stay glued...no clue why. I redid it using a larger regular clay pot on the top and covered it with jute up to the rim. I figured a plant could be set down inside of it. So it went from a birdbath to a planter.

Tami

{{gwi:137669}}

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I love the terra cotta and mason jars, especially with the jute or raffia tied on too.

Sweets, you could even collect some of the metal pie tins and use those in place of terra cotta too.

And heavy pottery type plates with the clear jars. I've even seen those speckled plates that sort of remind me of enamelware.

Oh, gosh, wouldn't enamelware look great stacked with the jars? Probably wouldn't want to do that with the enamelware though--it's too pretty in the kitchen.

You make such neat things, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Luvs

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs, that's the problem! I would NEVER spend the money to buy enamel pieces to stick outside. I have a red and white collection going in the kitchen, gray enamel in the bathroom and back and white in the other. I LOVE enamel and any piece I get, ends up in the house!

I don't know if I would even spend the money to buy the blue Mason jars just to put them outside either. Those are things you can't find anymore! They would have to be the clear ones from today!

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Those are the ones,Gotonenerveleft:)very pretty! Sweets, Walmart sold the blue mason jar canister sets,and I see them quite often at yard sales,they had the bale lids on them,sold for about $10 for a set of 4, I believe. You might be able to find some of those in your area if you wanted blue mason jars. I think a dozen new canning jars are about $8.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I hear you Sweets, the enamelware is a nice collectible. But you might run across some that were really chipped up. If you use the GE Silicone II, you can take things apart again if you want to use a piece somewhere else later.

In lieu of that, how about the pie tins? You could even spray paint them and do a little sponge painting to make them look like enamelware. The clear canning jars would work fine--I see lots of those at the TS. Ending it with a pie pan on top would sure make a good birdfeeder. Darn, now I'm wanting one! LOL

I'm also wondering why you couldn't do one with empty cans? That could end up nice and rusty! (Or you could paint them--even paint or stencil a design on them) Just start saving up coffee cans and other food cans until you have enough to make a good sized totem. Could even use the pie tins as part of that one too.

Doesn't have to be sparkly to look good.

Keep thinking, I know you are very creative. Good luck.

Luvs

• gotonenerveleft
    16 years ago

The canister sets that Kudzu mentioned is what I used to make the totems. They're really a sort of green instead of blue and like she mentioned I've seen them at yard sales too. You guys are on a roll with ideas, will have to use some of them to make more things...I have more of a rustic garden also.

Tami

• nonacook
    16 years ago

In Indiana there are always a LOT of blue mason jars at yard sales and such. I couldn't believe how many there were! Almost as common as the clear ones. I didn't buy any because I had my Grandma's for the house and that was before totems-LOL

• mjowest
    16 years ago

Oh this discussion is so wonderful!

I had been saving my graniteware forever, not knowing what I was going to do with it, and now I do! I need to run out and get some GESilicone- could someone tell me if this stuff dries fast when you use it, or does it give you time to place the item?

We also have a Goodwill warehouse where you can find anything glass for .10 cents each. I love those glass totems!

thanks for the inspiration!
    mj

• tasymo
    16 years ago

GE silicone II sticks quickly on horizontally placed items, but sometimes takes 20 min. or so to set up enough to hold heavier items vertically. I always let my totems sit overnight before trying to move them. I wouldn't be afraid to use the older canning jars or graniteware plates in totems, since the silicone can easily be peeled away (with the help of an exacto blade to get it started)if you decide to dismantle your totem. Kathy

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's not really the point that they can't be removed, it's just to me you shouldn't take old goodies like that to make something to put outside because things outside don't usually last forever. Many of the vintage and antique items of today are just being thrown away and damaged. People do not appreciate anything old and want all new! So one day, everything old will be gone and we all know that much of the crap they make today won't last like the goodies from a hundred years ago!

I won't even use the chipped and rusted granite pieces because much of mine looks like that. I don't care because that shows they were used and have a history. That is what makes them more interesting to me!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

So what do you think about painting the new pie tins to look ike the granite ware and using that in a totem? Would that give the casual look you are searching for? Or just the jars and TS plates. I see lots of different colored ones, and many are scratched on the surface but would work fine for a totem. Hope some of these ideas will help you create just what you are looking for. Hope you will share pics of what you create. Happy junkin. Luvs

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Luvs, I am sure I will figure something out. :D Like I said on the Tole painting forum, I seem to have stalled out on really attempting this project right now. I get these ideas and post and go to town on them and then maybe a day later, I realize I don't have the time or they don't seem AS important! LOL I just need to get a few things caught up first. I have been looking through some items that I already have stashed thinking I could use for something in a new light! :)

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

Tami ( gotonenerveleft) - I LOVE your totems... wow - they are so Gosh-Darn Pretty!!!

The little glass ones look like angels.... oh so pretty!

• gotonenerveleft
    16 years ago

Thanks njtomboy....I had fun making them. The peach colored one is my favorite. I call her "Miss Spring Thang" cuz it looks like a lady with her Easter bonnet on.

Tami

• texann
    16 years ago

I love all the totems you all have made. What a creative group! I just have to ask tho, are you not concerned about catching your mulch or dry leaves on fire using clear glass? With our hot Texas sun, I would be afraid to set them outside!

• katladie
    16 years ago

I think any type of crock ware, stone ware, mason jars etc. looks casual. I missed a sale one time because all I had was glass totems, nothing more country as the lady said. I have a friend who likes roosters, I am currently looking for mugs or small canisters with roosters to make a totem for her, I have found a nice resin rooster as a topper.

Sharon

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sharon, a rooster totem would be so neat. Are you going to use all glass or maybe some of the clay pots in it. Can't wait to see it when you finish. Luvs

• caroleena
    16 years ago

roosters! wow- i collect those and using one as a topper sounds like a fine idea