Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelia77

yardart/weathervanes from the movie Twister

angelia77
16 years ago

Hello everyone ~ I have been lurking in this forum for some time and just love it! I finally have an excuse to buy junk from garage sales and flea markets!! My first project is the glass totems, I will post pics when they are finished! I've also recently rescued an old door from a house rehab project and have placed it in my garden; I didn't know what else to do with it so it is there for now.

My question to you all is, and this may be a reach, but do you remeber in the movie Twister when they stop by her aunts house for steak and eggs and her aunt has all of those fabulous weathervanes (I think thats what they are called) in her yard? They appear to be made of aluminum and are quite large. Anyways, I just love them and have been looking for something similar for my yard. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• sistersunnie
    16 years ago

Goodness I loved those, knew what you were talking about the minute I saw the title of your post....

Post photos immediately if you figure it out.....

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I remember all those too they were so cool(-:

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Check out Wylee's web site. See her bike rim/pinwheel.
    Whenever anyone mentions that movie I think of this wheel.
    You might enjoy her Grots page too, while you are there. At one time she came to this site a lot, then she moved to the other GJ site, but got involved with a lot of other things and I for one miss her ingenuity.

http://wyleesee.50megs.com/

• marikay
    16 years ago

If you google wind sculptures there are a few sites that sell some of these but they are quite pricey!

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

I need to take a pic of my uncles in TX. Made with bicycle wheels and shovels and other things and it goes in several directions in the wind. I will be there in July and will try to take a lot of pics. Anything kind of small wind setup can be enlarged.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Welcome, welcome welcome to the GJ forum Angelia, so happy to have you join us. This place has the most wonderful folks you'll ever meet and you'll enjoy participating in reading posts and doing your own. As you can tell, we love pics. I know exactly what you're talking about all those windchimes in the movie. Don't know how to make them but check the sites others have given you and you're sure to find something that can help you.

Hope to see you in the forum more often, no more lurking now, you've officially become one of us junkers!!!

Sal

• angelia77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! I googled wind sculpture and found some that were exactly what I was looking for, only they are $5,000!! Wow. It looks like I'll be making something out of a bicycle wheel.

Thanks again and I'll post pics when I'm finished. I'd love to see more wheel wind sculptures if anyone comes across them!

angelia

• msmitoagain
    16 years ago

Found this link after watching Rachel Ray's $40 a day. Saw some of these in the background. She was in Sedona, AR.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.elpradogalleries.com/whitaker_ok.cfm

• easttnsusan
    16 years ago

I did a quick search and found the website of the artist who did the 'Twister' wind sculptures. I'm sure it would cost a bundle (and then some) to commission a piece from this guy, but it's fun to look anyway.

You can check out his work at the link below ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Evan Lewis sculptures

• angelia77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What neat sculptures. I would love to be able to do that...maybe someday!

I'm still brainstorming to figure out a way to make a simple kinetic wind sculpture. At least now I have a proper name for them :) I wonder if one can be made without welding? I'm new to all this and don't want to get in over my head!!

Maybe right now I'll stick with totems and tipsy pots.
    angelia

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Hi angelia, I came through a town on Hwy 287 today & saw these & thought of you. I can't find a website for these but got the phone number if you want to email me for it.
    {{gwi:150109}}
    {{gwi:150110}}

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?