Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Markers from Skewers

Posted by jeannespines (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 14:45

I like to use "skewers" (thin metal stick for holding food tog when you grill) for garden plant markers ...when I put a new plant in ...so I can remember what's planted where until they come up.

So I'm always looking for them at GS's ...and I just got another 20 or so last Sat. for a whopping 10 cts. for all! (a real bargain!)

Anyway, I was complaining to DH that I need to buy some more metal plant markers & that they are so expensive...so he took some roof metal flashing (I think that's what it's called) & cut me out these large rounded squares (with scissors), punched 2 holes & threaded them on. They stay on because of the circle at the top. Here's the pic (back side, plain skewer & front side marked with a paint pen):

Plant Markers from Skewers 6.10

So, if you use alot of plant markers, this is way cheaper than buying the metal ones...oh, I love the metal ones, too & copper...but I'll just use those if they are gifts! thanks for lookin'! Jeanne S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Markers from Skewers

Excellent!! Thanks for sharing this great idea with us. Nice looking and not complicated.
-Sprout

o

Good idea. They look great!!

o

Thanks for the idea!!
Lisa

o

GREAT idea! I have a lot of that metal flashing, since
the project I purchased it for didn't work out! lol
I imagine you could also use soda cans! ... or even
plastic milk bottles!

o

Great idea!

o

Great looking and seems easy to make.

o

Another great thing to use is slats from those cheap mini blinds. Most every yard sale has them and they are always super cheap. Each metal slat can be easily cut to what ever size you want and they stand up to all kinds of weather.

o

Look fairly easy to make & should last many years. I have bunch of those skewers around- probably in the garage. Jan

o

What a cool idea ... or is it hot? lol They look professionally made ... I imagine your neat printing helps in that regard! What a great idea at a great price. TFS!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here