Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottle tree materials

Posted by freshair2townsquare 8a, D/FW (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 14:51

I've been collecting blue bottles & getting ready to build my first. It will be small in comparison to many I've seen.

What materials do you suggest for:
* Post - Something narrower than a 4x4, possibly round, but still sturdy enough to support the weight. I think a closet rod (1.25" or so) is probably too small.
* Rods/Arms - Something lighter than rebar.

~ freshair

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottle tree materials

There are wooden, round posts that you can get
at any hardware, or fence place. Someone mentioned
using gutter nails here the other day, and said
they were 8 inches long, I am not familiar with
them but sounds like what you might want. Check
nails at your stores.
Good luck!!

o

I think gutter nails would work, I took my gutter down on side of house as neighbor's long pine needles fill it up so fast I got sick of cleaning them out. They are long & I think strong enough to hold bottles but I think they may be over with the gutter pieces, not with regular nails. Not sure on that but I think gutters are main use for them. I have 5 blue bottles since someone had a party across from my house & I didn't even hear it! Just found all those lovely blue bottles out there 1 morning. I could manage putting nails in a fence post!! Might end up with bottle tree yet! Thanks for nail idea Nona! Jan

o

yes, yes - nails are definitely an idea, especially since i'm using the much smaller bottles (bud platinum & 4-pack white wines) - off to the hardware store . . .

o

I had DH cut me up a small maple tree ,about 7 foot in length . We buried almost 3' in the ground so it woud be stable. For the spikes, I used Brazing Rods that I cut to size. They're about 1/4" round, 3' long , sort of brass rods that are realllllly stiff. ( and cheap)I buy them in the welding section of the big box stores. I just randomly drilled holes in the tree & shoved them in . It's working great *knock on wood*

o

Folks around here are using old Christmas trees. The fake ones look great.

o

I saw the mention of the gutter nails the other day too. Bought them today along with a 78" round pt fence post at Lowes. And yes, the g-nails were with the gutters. My tree will be small only because dh is not a fan.

On a positive note, we went to a new Lowe's which was laid out weird. So of course the g-nails were on the opposite side of the store from where we were - ready to check out. Dh volunteered to go back for them. I consider that a hard-won victory!

Plan WAS to get it up today but it was 106 & not a hint of a breeze with more of the same expected tomorrow. Will let you know how it works eventually. My blue bp bottles are screaming to get out of the dark corner under the bathroom vanity where they've been hiding for weeeeks & into the sunshine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here