Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathryn_botard

Insulator pathway lights

Kathryn Botard
14 years ago

If anyone is still interested in using insulators as pathway lights, I have a really good website for instructions when you make them yourself from scratch.

http://www.hpfriedrichs.com/pr-yardlight.htm

Comments (15)

• emtnest
    14 years ago

those are really neat, and I have lots of those,but even with the directions I wouldn't be able to figure that circuit board out...

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

The idea many be interesting, but I totally have problems with the electrical part of this project. I donÂt think anyone should attempt to do it unless you have a very good electronics background.

Here are the problems:

1. The circuit did not specify the AC voltage supply. I would assume 12VAC. If you plug in 110VAC outlet, you will be in big trouble.

2. I disagree flicking is a problem. At 60 hz (cycles) AC, it flickers 120 times per second; hardly a problem.

3. It should make mention that 330 ohm resistor is identified by color code orange-orange-black.

4. The circuit can be done with only one 660 ohm resistor.

5. It should be mentioned that the capacitor needs to be correctly polarized (+ /-), if used. It is unnecessary for the capacitor.

6. It should be mentioned that LEDs will need to be correctly polarized, otherwise they will be killed instantly.

7. It should be mentioned that the bridge rectifier commonly come as one single component, not four separate diodes.

Much simpler, cheaper and safer doing it as I have suggested somewhere in another post here; use an old car battery.

dcarch

• Kathryn Botard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I saw your post after mine. This one is definately labor intensive not to mention I don't know a thing about what he was talking about. His sure looked good though. There was also once a suggestion about using the malibu lights. I'll look at your post again. You sure know your stuff!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Looks good Kudz!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Looks very good. I don't know what a malibu light is tho.
    kathy

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Malibu Lights are a brand of landscape light. They usually come in a boxed set and are powered by an outside plug-in source.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I was hoping this would be about solar lights in insulators, guess they don't make them small enough yet. I don't want electric.

I've got six pretty wrought iron stakes, and the insulator turned upsidedown fits down in the well of those perfectly.

But the only thing I can burn in them are tealight candles. My stakes are all done and painted but I still need to anchor them so they can't be easily stolen. IOW they aren't outside yet, but I have what I need w/o sinking in concrete, clamps for the bottom, etc.

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

Love it!

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

kathyjb,
    Thanks for sharing. BUT, you almost need to be a bonafide electrician to figure that all out. Here's what hubby and I came up with. I got the cheap ($4 a fixture~~plastic connecter wire and bulb)) Malibu light from Walmart. Got a transformer ( enough to power up all each 3W bulb) and the landscape lighting wire (that can be buried in the ground. WE used 1 1/2" or 2" pvc pipe connected to go around the pond with "risers" for each insulator malibu light. We threaded the landscaping lighting wire up and continuously through each riser. We then took just the innards of the malibu light set up and connected them up to the wire (they fit just perfectly inside the risers). Topped with the insulator. Connected the landscape lighting wire to the transformer--and then plugged that into an outlet and WALLA---Insulator Malibu Lighting. I've only changed a couple bulbs since installation about 3 years ago. All I do is take off the insulator and change out the bulb. I'd love to do this in my front yard but do not want to invite vandals. I have everythign I need for it.
    Love, Jules
    BTW: Malibu Lights are a brand name. It was the original maker of outdoor landscape lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie's Insulator Malibu Lights

• soinspired
    14 years ago

I absolutely love this idea! Wish I had seen this a couple weeks ago with the solar lights. I made hose guides with heavy pipe and insulators and at the time we were discussing how neat it would be if we could have them light up! Hmmm... I'll definitely show this to my handy husband. Great idea and I always see insulators for sale!

• Gary Bryan
    8 years ago

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m had some numbered comments that were very good. I take exception to his number "3." about the color code of the 330 ohm resistor. The colors should be "Orange-Orange-Brown". The colors he listed would be a 33 ohm resistor and would allow 10 times more current through the circuit than required, and could possibly damage other components.

• emerogork
    8 years ago

I have heard lately that night lights attract insects, not all beneficial either

• frankielynnsie
    8 years ago

They also attract toads and they get very fat and tame from snacking at the light buffet nightly. I love my American Toads.

• emerogork
    8 years ago

A few years ago I purchased a bubbling pool/waterfall for $70 at Ocean State. Last year a frog moved in but did not return this year.

I never thought that it might have moved in because of bugs attracted by the garden lights.