Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Mower Garden like aka-strawberrygoat posted!

Posted by jeannespines 4 Iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 15:06

Here's a couple pics of what you can do with old equipment like the mower that strawberrygoat posted. This has been planted for several years now in a shady spot with hosta's, some wild Solomon seal, Jack-in-the-Pulpit & a couple peonies...in this side view you can see a small pine tree growing & a Red Bud tree (both seedlings when planted in the vignette):

Old Mower Garden Fence View 6.10

Here's a view from the other side (you can see my painted window faintly in the bkgrd fence line (from my friend for a gift):

Old Mower Garden Full View 6.10

And here's a closer view ...that's an old John Deere planter box down in there...plus a broken vase...some moss grown on the wood tongue...can't see DS's old rusty metal truck anymore...not much left to it! LOL!

Old Mower Garden Closeup 6.10

This old mower was put to rest many yrs. ago...DH doesn't use it anymore...so it's fun to use in a garden vignette! Thanks for looking. Jeanne S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Mower Garden like aka-strawberrygoat posted!

That is a wonderful resting place to showcase your antique mower. Was this a horse drawn mower originally, or was it pulled by a tractor? I would love to have a treasure like this resting in one of my gardens.

o

What a great combination Jeanne! We're having to decide what to do with a lot of my Dad's old tractor accessories....I may have to borrow your idea....love it with the hostas, etc. Thanks for the inspiration!

o

Thanks, gals! Can you believe that this is a "horse-drawn" mower but DH pulled it with an old (and I mean old) tractor! I had to sit on that seat (for weight) so that he could cut hay ...we live on a small acreage...oh, that was so many yrs ago!...during those young & foolish & you could do anything(without much money) days!!! Glad you enjoyed my garden vignette! Jeanne S.

o

I told my dad about the mowers but he didn't remember them, they are so neat & look so nostalgic in the garden!! Jan

o

I love seeing "Farm Art" like this with well established plants. Lovely, lovely...

o

a secretary at my school has one almost identical to that. Hers is planted with a beautiful weigela. I love driving by every spring on my way to work when it is in bloom.

o

Thanks for the background info on your antique mower, Jeanne. I thought it looked like a horse drawn mower. Didn't we all do crazy things in our younger days!? lol

Glad you and your DH survived the mowing adventures unscathed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here