Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some of my Junk Gardens

Posted by spedigrees z4VT (spedigre@sover.net) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 15:12

I decided to post some recent photo of a couple of my junk gar*dens. The first is my stump gar*den. We had to have our ancient quaking aspen tr*ee cut down last sum*mer, and after hau*ling most of the wood over to our firepit, I arranged a half dozen trunk chunks in a circle around the sawed off trunk of the old tr*ee (which still serves as a light pole for our colored floodlights.) They looked like stools for gnomes or hobbits.

This past spring I bought a flowering crabapple for the corner of the yard and I moved the sections of old tr*ee trunk to encircle the sapling and protect it from being nibbled by the pony or peed on by the dogs. I decided to brighten up my stump barricade with flowerpots which are two paint mixing buckets, one container that a horse supplement came in, and a giant coffee cup that I found at a craft store. The little tr*ee looks rather sorry in the pic but it was still adjusting to being transplanted, and looks a lot heal*thier now that it has leafed out. It's loving all the rain we're having.

Below are 3 of my junk gar*dens with the rotary hoe (wheel thingie) on the far right, closest gar*den.

And here (below) is one of my vintage aluminum kiddie ride horses with lupine and irises in bloom (blooms are early this year.)

Thanks for looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some of my Junk Gardens

What a great idea using the stumps for protection from animals!! And I love your colorful "pots" that you planted & arranged there!

That "kiddie horse" is so cool in your gardens & your flowers are beautiful! ...yes, the rain has come here, too...everything growing beautifully!

Like that rotary hoe thing-y, too! Fun gardens, Spedigrees! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Thanks for the nice comments, Jeanne. I figure by the time the stumps rot out, the tree will be big enough to fend for itself!

o

Great re-use of the tree trunk! And, I see the pony too...they will nibble anything, won't they? Love the rotary blade! Too cool! Everything is SO green and pretty...love the bottles, irises and lupines too!

o

Love how green everything is & all your GJ & stumps with pots!! You have a lot of space from looks of things. We have small yards & no rain & hot already, may be looong summer, still on rationing even tho up north they got lots of snow & are letting go into Sacramento area now. Farmers need it for crops so will be put to good use & keep prices down, I hope! Jan

o

I would love to send you some rain, Jan, if I could! I fear this is shaping up to be another rainy summer.

We have about 2 1/2 acres which we needed to pasture our 4 horses back when they were living. Now we have only the one pony left so it's sort of overkill.

I think if I lived in a desert climate I would create gardens of colored rock and sand with cacti and other drought resistent plants that don't need much water, but with some fountains that recycle their water. And of course lots of junk creations. We saw some really lovely desert landscaping when we were out in the southwest some years ago. It was an inspiration to me but it just wouldn't work here. We'd have grass and weeds coming up through the rocks and our rain and frigid winters would kill the cacti.

o

Ohhhhhhhhhh what a nice pastoral setting to garden in. LOvely touches
tanya

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here