Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interstate 80 Revisited

Posted by r_murray 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 16:02

photo c4ce5a9f-6bdb-4eca-b810-f597531bf4ce_zpsd830cdd7.jpg

This sculpture, recent to my backyard, is an assemblage of truck parts picked up while walking I-80 around Fernley, NV, including the rock which weighs in at 60 pounds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interstate 80 Revisited

Very neat!

o

That is a very thought provoking sculpture. I can see someone trying to figure out what it represents. Very colorful and unique.

TYFS Jlily

o

That must be bigger than it looks. 60 lbs is 1 heavy rock!! Is that a truck rim it's in? Jan

o

sunnyca Yes it is a truck rim. There are two truck rims and two different style truck hub caps. A mud flap support arm forms the center support. There is also a truck lug-nut cap and a chrome spinner. The base is a disc brake rotor. I drilled a hole in the rock and forced a 40" piece of rebar into the hole. I welded a piece of electrical conduit through the center of the mud-flap support to channel the rebar. and fed the rebar through the electrical conduit and into the ground. The sculpture is 33” wide and 50” tall. The chrome spinner I left in its original finish because it has a roadrunner etched into the center. This sculpture represents the kind of unintentional environmental pollution that occurs on America’s Highways everyday.

o

I think this one is my favorite. I would display this in my front yard. Very Cool!

o

Very Cool! But, I want to know how you dragged a 60 pound rock back to your house!

o

I too wonder how you got that rock back! NICE piece of art.

o

The Rock.
It was a difficult job but I am a stubborn kinda guy. It was hot and nasty out in the sun and I really gave it a second thought, did I need “that” rock? Yup. So through the nasty stickers, burs, and stabbing branches of low desert shrubs I pushed, rolled, and twisted that boulder navigating the loose sand. It took awhile but once I made up my mind it was just a matter of work - I wanted that rock. I finally managed to get the rock from the center meridian up to the edge of the freeway, walked back to my truck, drove back to the rock and that as they say is it.

o

Very Cool!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here