Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Silicone Sealant not drying

Posted by mary_or 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 16:06

I am working on a bowling ball, and it appears that my sealant is not drying. According to the directions on the tube, it should be tacky within 30 minutes and dry in 24. Well, it is only slightly tacky after 24. It is the kind that everyone is using for windows. Do any of you have this problem? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mary_or

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Silicone Sealant not drying

Sometimes you get a bad tube that wont set up.....

o

I only use GE Silicone II..there is a difference I think in that and the one for windows. If you can read it, it may say it stays flexible.

o

I've never had a problem...I use only GEII

Be Safe, Rach

o

Thanks everyone. I have a feeling it is an old or bad tube. I like all projects to go smoothly. :) Luckily, I had only just begun.

o

I could only find the GE silicone for doors and windows and it set up in minutes, made three marble balls friday.

o

lindasc: That is the kind I used, and I wish I could have been so lucky. I really wanted to have fun with this project this weekend. Oh, well. I will get a new tube tomorrow and let the fun begin.

o

Check the date on the tube before you buy it. Last time I checked at WalMart, EVERY tube of GE II was out of date.

Deborah

o

Bought a new tube, and it works perfectly. Happy for that. Thanks everyone again.

o

Lately, I have had several times when GE silicone has not dried -'cured'. The day after applying, I can wipe the caulking out like toothpaste! I have used this silicone (probably 100 to 200+ tubes) for years, but something is wrong now. Even the hardware dealer is baffeled.
I called the 'help' number on the caulking tube and the lady I spoke with said perhaps it had overheated in my toolbox. She wanted to know the 'batch number' from the tubes, so I suspect they have been having others call in with the same problem. So, I bought a new tube and the same thing happened. This is VERY frustrating.
Please let me know if you learn anything, and I will do the same.

o

I have looked for, but never seen an expiration date on a tube of this glue. The last tube I bought at Walmart was hard to squeeze out and came out kinda globby. It also didn't harden like it should. Then I bought one at Lowes and it's been OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here