Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Black Widow

Posted by marlene_2008 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 17:03

DH has been working off some steam today, so he decided to make a Black Widow spider. He used a glass bottle and painted the inside of the bottle black for the body. He's thinking he might like to make these to sell since they are a manageable size...about 12 inches across at the widest part of the legs. The body could be painted any color or to order. What do you think? Think they are sellable? And anyone have any experience with pricing something like this?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Black Widow

I love it. I think they would sell very well. Maybe $15-$20?

o

No idea on pricing...but this is a scary-looking widow!! I hope your DH got rid of his inhibitions on this one! LOL! Nice work! Jeanne S.

o

Marlene...Your DH has certainly been busy. That spider is awesome.
Marylee

o

Very impressive spider! He'd be hard to miss in the garden!! Jan

o

I love it! I want one (or 2). As much as I would LOVE to pay $20 for this spider, I think $30 to $40 would be sellable. If you have an inexpensive source of supplies, and it doesn't take much time - for $20 they would sell like hotcakes. I think it would be good to vary them a bit so people feel like they are choosing their special one.

Below is a link to a similar sized bug on etsy for $45. BTW, you can "like" things on etsy and in that way keep track of whether they sell or not. Just keep your own list of prices, cuz once its sold the price disappears. Your Dh could watch a few etsy bugs, write the prices and see if they sell to get an idea of what the market will bear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal bug on etsy

o

That is scary looking, but I'm sure they would sell well. What kind of bottle is that? In my area $20.00 would be a fair price.
Frou

o

Yes, what kind of bottle is that? And what are the legs made of and how are they attached? They are very cool

o

It's a clear glass bottle with a cork stopper that I ordered online to try for a hummingbird feeder (that didn't work very well). DH spray painted it black inside. You could use any color paint. The legs are welded to a small metal plate...he used the metal wire that comes on those pesky real estate signs that litter the roads. The head and eyes are metal balls that he ordered online in bulk. Simple for him...not so simple for me since I can't weld.

o

I LUV him....$20.00 sounds a little low....and I agree...paint some differnetly. I like choosing one with character....or what ever hits me when I see it...when there is several to choose from.

o

Love your husband's spiders. I'd say $25, but make several since they will probably sell out right away. If you have a little garden display to showcase them, maybe also make a little Halloween display and get people thinking about how they can use these on their porches in the fall. They are just the right size, and Oh, SOOO Cute!!
-Sprout

o

Does she have the red "hour glass" on the underside of her abdomen?

I love your Little Black Widow!

o

Yes, she does have the red hour glass...not sure he'll do that again though...it was hard to do.

o

At first I thought it was made of a Christmas tree ornament . I love it !!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here