Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tasymo

Amber Glass Garden Totem on Porch Post

tasymo
14 years ago

Here is my favorite big Glass Garden totem so far. It took awhile (and maybe a bit too much $$) to get the right glass for this one, but I think it was worth it! I just hope it doesn't get swiped. Kathy

Image link:

Comments (30)

• joannpalmyra
    14 years ago

It's really beautiful, Kathy. What is the topper? I'm partial to globes. :) ~JoAnn

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

ooooooooohhhhhhhh -- It's awesome ! Yes - tell us what the topper is . Glass balls cost an arm & a leg ... got any good places to try ?

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I love it!!!!!! I know it looks stunning there in your garden.

• justdowntheroad
    14 years ago

There's only one word to describe this...BEAUTIFUL. The globe on top really sets it off. Great creation!

• tasymo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The topper is a hand blown sphere I found at a thrift store, I think for about $2. I've had it for a couple of years, just waiting for the rest of the pieces to come along! It's not perfectly round, the end I glued to the candle holder is kind of pointy.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

That is an especially pretty one!!! I wondered what these totems were about. Now I know.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

oooh, la, la!! VERY pretty! Love the amber color and the shapes are wonderful!! I've got to try one of those!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful color & shapes love all the amber together! The white towards bottom really looks great in the flower bed! Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

AWESOME ! The amber glass is so beautiful in the garden.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Ooooooooooooo, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I love it! Very pretty shape and colors. I love the amber. Just gorgeous!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Love the glass you used.

• leveta
    14 years ago

Boy that's a really beautiful one...

• msmitoagain
    14 years ago

That turned out fantastic. Yes, sometimes we do spend $$$ on our projects. But, if your like me, you won't be happy till you get the right combination.

Love it on the post and all pieces are a perfect match for each other.

Ramona

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• jlily
    14 years ago

What a beautiful totem. I especially like it on the post. Well worth the time, money and your effort. Thank you for sharing. Jlily

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

That is beautiful! I love amber too! I bet it looks stunning in the sunlight!!! I hope no one swipes it either geez)-: It looks wonderful on that post too! What a great display!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

That is a beauty! Good composition and I like it on the post.
    kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

That is a beauty!!! What is the flower growing below it? TFS.

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

Purty!!! Very well worth it....I hope it stays safe,too!
    kudzu/cherry

• tasymo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is comfrey growing below it. My chickens love to eat it, and it makes a great medicinal wash or salve.

• biddlebeach
    14 years ago

Bravo!! nicely done!

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Your amber totem is beautiful!
    I made an amber one about 6 years ago but
    it doesn't hold a candle to yours!

• tasymo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just had to share this pic I took today, with the late afternoon sun shining through my Amber Totem. I'm really lovin' this one!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

~Sandy~

• luckygal
    14 years ago

How have I missed this? Absolutely, positively BEAUTIFUL! Lovely glass, lovely composition! TFS

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Tasy,

What a wonderful totem! Love the colors. Don't they just bling in the light like that? If I remember right isn't that a stairway spindle used for the post? I don't know how much you spent on all that glass. I've guesstimated what it would cost me if I found the same exact pieces at my local thrift stores and I come in about $17-18 (minus the spindle). If I sold something like that it would be in and $30-35 range. It is a OOAK (one of a kind).
    Thank for sharing your garden bling!
    Love, Jules

• tbledsaw
    14 years ago

I love this! It is sooooo pretty!!!

I have a large amber glass globe from the 60's that I want to do something in the yard with. Just not sure what. Yours is an excellent idea!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

WOW! That is really pretty. What is it sitting on? The white makes it pop! TFS.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Oh....Oh beautiful. The amber glass in this one is lovely. Do like that you use the posts to set them higher in the garden.

Kat

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

WOW, tasymo...I missed this post, too! Glad it got bumped up...very, very BEAUTIFUL...luv the pic of the light coming thru the amber globe & your flowers are gorgeous in the setting! TFS! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Its stunning in the sunlight! I'm wondering if the orb on top might be either an old fisherman's float for the nets (yes they used blown glass before styrofoam was invented) OR a replica produced for tourists. When I was a young girl I bought a little blue one at a tourist shop in Maine at the ocean. They also had big ones and I think these replicas came in green and amber and blue. I have a couple of "real" ones in my garden - not half so pretty but definitely interesting. I guess you can still find them on the beach as the Japanese used them until recently. The little point and not perfect shape you mention made me think of them.
    kathy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH