Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Potting Bench finished

Marlene Kindred
13 years ago

Well, we finished my "new" potting bench that we saved from the dump a couple of weeks ago. DH put wheels on it so I can move it around because it is solid maple and weighs a ton. We added a little "junk" trim to spruce it up and put a coat of paint on it. DH cut slots in a portion of the top and I put a tote underneath to catch the dirt as I pot plants. All in all, I'm really happy with it! Can't wait til next spring when I get to try it out....if I can wait that long! 8D

BEFORE:

{{gwi:151796}}

AFTER:

{{gwi:132321}}

{{gwi:153148}}

Comments (28)

• rafor
    13 years ago

That is soooooo cute!!! Love the color too. I've got to get going to replace the one I left with the house when we moved.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

No, no, no, Marlene! That is TOO BEAUTIFUL to pot plants on!! (icky, dirty potting soil, water & mud!) LOL! Love the color & love the purple bucket with it! Hope you find some pretties to put on it in the meanwhile! Nice save! TFS! Jeanne S.

• liljunkr
    13 years ago

Wonderful idea to add wheels for easy moving! How beautiful and functional it is. When can I come pick it up?

LIL

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

OMG -- Marlene !!!! It's awesome beyond words !!!
    *Don't you dare get any potting soil on it ! LOL

All I can say is WOW ... Perfect fit - perfect color - perfect design . When are you going to make me one ??????
    LOLLL

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

that's an awesome recovery...

isn't it great, when something just says what it should be, instead of how it is, left unattended and unappreciated?

and the routing job above the tub is very creative...
    also the gingerbread doodads you added are perfect for the touches for that corner..

it should clean up easy with the latex paint...just running a hose over it...lucky girl~

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Well, it was pretty sweet before, but WOW...it's absolutely amazing now! I love the colour, and the cut outs you added to sweep the dirt away - somebody has some serious woodworking skills!

Sheryll

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Wow I love that .I want a new one I am working on a small potting room.Love it.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Oh WOW......and Jeanne took the words right out of my head.
    (how does she do that?!) Toomuchglass also said what I'm thinking. LOL.

That is such an amazing transformation. I sure wish the original owner could see it now!
    Your DH does great work, could you deliver him along with the potting bench? I'll send my address asap.

hugs, Karen

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I thought it was a pretty cool bench when you just showed it. I never imagined tho that it could be so beautiful.
    Great job and vision!
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Wonderful transformation! I love the color and the finishing touches you made to it. Especially the gear-looking doodads on the top shelf. Great save!

• shadyswing
    13 years ago

Where do I get me some of that marvelous Marlene magic?!!
    You and your keeper of a DH have turned a great bench find into such a beautiful and extraordinarily functional piece! Thank you for sharing!

• indylisa
    13 years ago

I love makeover pictures!!! I bet you feel good about the nice job you and DH has done!!
    Lisa

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is unbelievable. I can not believe you found that for free. Of course what you did with it is spectacular. You are a talented lady and of course I love the color.
    Frou

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Really love it!! That color is delightful. What a great bench to have. Don't wait to use it. Get your tools on it, get some dirt in that bucket, line up some containers of seeds on the gallery shelf! Don't let it go to waste for another minute. Oooooo, I want to touch it...get a grip, Cheryl

• maximavswife
    13 years ago

Ohh loverly!! My DH built me a potting bench last year and included the slots too! I used tinted stain on mine. Here are some photos:

Kath

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting Bench 2009

• mischief329
    13 years ago

Your potting bench looks great. I have been looking for one to make.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Oh dear... this makes my potting bench look very, very sad (mine is actually just an old formica top kitchen table that is warped, peeling and rusty). Marlene, yours is breathtaking and incredibly inspirational! Excellent job of reviving someone elses throw-away! They would beg to have it back if they were to see it now!! Love, love, love the color, and the gingerbread trim, and the slots...

• susiewantsroses
    13 years ago

POTTING BENCH ENVY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Job.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful comments! It's amazing how much mileage I got from a $3.00 quart of mismatched paint I picked up at Lowe's this spring! But, the potting bench finished it off. All of the gingerbread, etc. were pieces we've taken off of other things and the two round pieces on the top are actually the metal ends from a commercial gift paper roll...I'm looking forward to using it! I think I'll take the suggestion and start some seedlings! And, Kath...your potting bench is awesome too!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW! Susie said it! Love both benches Ladies!!! Would never thunk to add the great useful slots fot potting up! Love it, now I KNOW I WANT a potting bench!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Both of the benches turned out great. Love the color & gingerbread corners & slots are really nice. Kath's is nice in that it can be taken off & washed or give easy access to contents below in case she needs to retrieve some soil mix. Surprising how similar the 2 benches are! Jan

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Marlene, I thought I had commented on this earlier. Your potting bench is a GREAT SAVE! You guys did a beautiful job, repurposing it. (Isn't it sad to see what is thrown away?) LOVE the color and the slots for soil! This inspired me to get my potting bench finished. You two always create the most INCREDIBLE things! Thank you for sharing! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• caroleena
    13 years ago

omg! what a great bench. the slat idea is inspired. i always had issues with the potting soil all over mine. what a solution.

• luvs2click
    13 years ago

I love the slots too - the whole thing is gorgeous! Great work!
    Arlene

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

Ohhhhhhhh, another bench I couldnt bear to pot on LOL It's too darned purdy!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

How did I miss this post before????????
    That is a wonderful potting bench!

• misfit
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!!
    I just yesterday aquired an old kitchen bakers rack/cabinet. I planned to make it into a potting bench. Thank you both for the great ideas. I had planned on having my husband just cut out a hole along one side for disposing the dirt. I love the slots and drip pan. Also envy all the storage kath has.
    If I had either one of those potting benches I just KNOW I would have a hard time getting it dirty.Beautiful jobs!
    Dawn

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

That turned out wonderful. Great idea putting the wheels on it too. Love the color you used and all the details just make it wonderful. Color me green with envy! Great job. Luvs

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County