Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making garden signs

Posted by farmsteward North Carolina 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 17:48

Hi all, I want to make some garden signs from some boards that I have, but want to do it right. Can anyone point me to step-by-step instructions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making garden signs

You have the boards so just need some good quality outdoor paint, or if small signs you can use Patio Paint in craft sections at WalMart, Michael's or Joanne's or other craft shops& brushes either flat artist brushes or I guess foam brush or regular paintbrush depends on how wide you want the letters.If you have never painted letters do a couple of practice pieces.I sometimes use an old flannel back tablecloth as easy to wipe off spills & protects whatever is underneath. Usually works best to have board flat & then put it on pole or whatever after it is dry. Think most are done free-hand but if you are terrible at lettering you can buy stencils at the same craft places I mentioned. When finished if you give it a couple of clear spray coats of Krylon it will help keep them nice longer., at least that is how I do it. If your question is what to put on the signs, well that's different, I typed in "garden sayings" I think it was & came up with lots & lots "Garden of Weeding""Turtle Crossing" "Butterflies Welcome" etc. So lots of sayings to pick from. If you can do art work add butterflies, birds, flowers etc. Jan

o

I have also read that if you trace onto the wood you should lightly go over your lines (before painting) with a small nail to make a slight groove in the wood to keep the paint "inside" the lines. Good luck with your project.

o

If you're on pinterest, search for garden signs, and you'll find tons of examples - and many will lead you to sites with directions on how they were made. I've made a few, and it's so much fun! If you get tired of one, you can paint over and have something new :-)

Patty

o

Thank you all for the help. I may give it a try this weekend and see how it goes.

o

Be sure to post pics of what you make farsteward! I want to make some, but I'm still weeding my gardens! Eager to see what you do.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here