Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice needed for chair restoration

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 17:52

Hello,
I have metal chairs that had back done with plastic that is gone now
Photobucket

What can I use to create back for this chair?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice needed for chair restoration

I saw a chair that had been done using bungee cords. You just stretch them aand hook on the other sside. For this you would need short ones. It looked very neat and was very comfortable.

o

Short bungees on sale at HD right now! And you can get them in all black.

Nylon cord macrame'd or woven might be another possibility.

Nice chair! Be sure to post a pic of what ever you do
Kathy

o

Both ideas sound good! If you can weld you could get mesh like is on bottom, sometimes used for bottoms of screen doors to keep animals from wrecking it. But may come in sheets & you could weld it on back for easy repainting whenever needed. Then you could just sand,undercoat with spray & top coat with whatever color you like. Jan

o

I can't weld unfortunately. Will consider idea with bungees.
Thank you

o

I have a chair similar to your, except the seat was missing on mine. I measured a board to fit and then mosiaced it with stained glass. I did different size and color butterflies. It turned out great.

o

woven leather strips?

o

Old belts from the thrift store!!
Kathi

o

I like the bungee idea. My office chair has bungee cord material for the back and seat and is THE most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in. Here's a link to a pic of a similar one.

Here is a link that might be useful: bungee cord chair

o

I've seen people make seats and backs out of old neckties.

o

Another idea you could do: Cut plywood to desired shape and cover with outdoor upholstery fabric and use conduit clips (in the electrical isle) to screw it to the chair. You would be free to use any of the beautiful sun fabrics they have out now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here