Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maozamom

Garden junk path

maozamom NE Ohio
11 years ago

We were part of a garden tour yesterday and my Dh finished this path just in time to open it for the tour.
{{gwi:153194}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

it starts with an old grinding stone and then the end of a park bench
{{gwi:153197}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

A couple of crucible lids, a furnace grate, brick from the chimney of our last house continue on.
{{gwi:153198}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

Flagstone, a decorative piece, and then a nice piece of granite.
{{gwi:153200}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

this first piece was very popular (and Heavy decorative piece a half century ago. More brick, granite and flagstone.
{{gwi:153203}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

A cross, grinding wheel and another old heavy decorative piece.
{{gwi:153205}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

a cross, and two brass pieces my Dh made at work. He's a machinist.
{{gwi:153207}}From Garden Tour June 23, 2012

More stone and brick, and then a final grinding wheel to end the path.

My favorite is the park bench. He surprised me with its addition, and I was very pleased.

I'm not sure any visitors even saw this hosta bed. Everyone was looking down at their feet.

Comments (30)

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

The path is wonderful and beautifully done!

Your garden tour was about more than plants, awesome!

• jlily
    11 years ago

A wonderful winding and decorative path. Your imagination has led to a perfectly wonderful walk. TYFS Jlily

• cnm1
    11 years ago

LOVE IT. I love found objects in paths. I try but you much more interesting objects!!

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

What a great idea! Love all the different pieces and textures you used!

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

What a great idea! Love all the different pieces and textures you used!

• trashydj
    11 years ago

love it and thanks for sharing

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I would love to have walked that garden path! Ohhh...so unique! Great texture & shapes ...using brick, stone & iron!! & put tog so beautifully! Love it! I didn't see your park bench tho...Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    11 years ago

I love your path!
    Will try some of that in my garden.
    Where can we see more photos of your
    garden????

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Wonderful! Love the path, also the rest of your lovely garden (nonacook, there is a link below the first picture, I know, I almost missed it too).

Sandy

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Your garden path is wonderful, mao! I love the way the metal and stone blend in your walkway. You've given me all sorts of inspiration. The area with the blue stones is very pretty. What a beautifully colorful painted house you have! And I love your little greenhouse. Is the house with the giant metal rooster a building on your property or is it someone else's home? Thank you for sharing this garden tour with us!

• diggery
    11 years ago

Drooling over that path back here. Missed the link the first time too (thanks for pointing it out, Sandy) It's all so lovely. TFS..

blessings,
    ~digger

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind word. I get so many of my ideas from this forum and I think it's only fair to share with you what I did with them.

One of the volunteers checking tickets came by today with her landscaper. She wanted him to see our path because she wants to incorporate the idea in her new path.

I'm including a link to my Picasa Album for those who want to look. Way more pictures then anyone wants to look at.

The white building was built as a hen house but is now my potting shed. It's fenced in and has a softer color scheme than the rest of my garden so that it seems as if its a separate little cottage. There's a day bed, Amish rocker, and potbelly stove for when I want to relax.

mao

Here is a link that might be useful: My picasa album

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

That's awesome. I would kill for a path like that, but HD can't see the artistic beauty in that kind of thing.

Couldn't get to your picasa album. For some reason the link took it to mine...and I no longer even have picasa.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

I enjoyed all 57 pics. Just click on under 1st pic where it says June 2012 garden tour & click on 1st pic & then click on right side in area about center right side of pic to get each new pic. The watering cans along the path are so neat & the pond & the many totems, love some used as plant stands, Would like to see "Uncle Sam" up close, he's so tall & looks interesting! The chicken is interesting, what is he made of? I looked at your path 1st & then went back up & saw the Hostas, so many colors of green & other areas around your house have so many lovely colors. Enjoyed all of it.TFS Jan

• cnm1
    11 years ago

OK now I need a bunch of watering cans!! What is your rooster made of and did you make that?

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

Got it. I was clicking on 'my picasa album. Great landscaping. Love it all! But especially the path.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rooster was bought at a fleamarket. It was made from old metal drums.

My husband is my hero. I come up with the ideas for the garden and he's right there implementing them with me. The path is just the latest project he's show true enthusiasm for.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Were you part of the hosta convention? If no, you should have been with this beauty.

• 9bark
    11 years ago

Wow wow! Impressive! I am blown away by the beauty of your path! Definitely an inspiration! thanks!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plantbug- The North Coast Hosta Society is scheduled to tour our garden next Saturday. If we hadn't improved the path this hosta area wouldn't have been safe to walk through. This gave us incentive to finish it in a short time.

I'd love for people to use our ideas for inspiration. I know our green house we built from old windows five years ago is all over the internet and has surely lent itself to imitation.

mao

• ecessna37
    8 years ago

Hello. I am wondering if you laid the items down first then filled in around them with gravel or the opposite and dug into the gravel to place the items. Thank you for your time.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There was a path here already, so the dirt was trampled down pretty solid. We laid a couple inches of base on that and then added our found objects. Finishing with base between everything.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    7 years ago

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. The pictures are inspiring. I've been wanting to do something like this in my yard.

• spedigrees z4VT
    7 years ago

I'm glad to see this thread brought out of retirement also. This path is an amazing creation. I love looking at it, even if just in pictures!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I love your path!

• omelet
    7 years ago

So creative, I love it too!

• MsRed Byrd
    7 years ago

Beautiful pathway! So creative! I might have to copy that, lol!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You're welcome to copy it but no two will be alike.

• Marlene Schmidt
    7 years ago

Fantastic path!!! Love, love, love it!!!