Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergirl1968

I just discovered this forum... WOW!

soonergirl1968
13 years ago

I am so excited to find this forum! I spent a long time just browsing through your posts and pictures and am now on a mission to create something wonderful. I have one thing I made in my backyard (which I guess may not actually qualify as "garden junk" but it's the only thing I've made... for now! :)

I'll try to attach pictures but I never can seem to figure it out. Here goes...

Now I'm off to find things to make a totem!! I'm so glad I found this place!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble Mosaic

Comments (20)

• leveta
    13 years ago

How beautiful. Are they pieces of glass pieced together??

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Welcome Soonergirl! We are so glad to have you find us and join us! What an awesome mosaic?? It looks as though it is on the ground in your yard....meaning that it looks sizable. What a great job...truly beautiful!

Watch out for those totems...they are very addicting!!

• dvon50
    13 years ago

Wow...The Mosaic is Awesome. I am new here too. Just joined today. I have zilch talent when it comes to plants so..sure could use some ideas to had some fun and color to our yard.
    Donna in Boise

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

WOW, sooner! that is quite AWESOME! Pebble Mosaic? WOW! Yup, may not be GJ...but we've lots of GJ "ART" here! WELCOME! Have fun with totems! TFSharing! Jeanne S.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Soonergirl, your pebble mosaic is STUNNING!! Welcome to Garden Junk. I can't wait to see more of your projects!!!

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Oh, WOW - amazing job on the pebble mosaic!! What are the dimensions? It looks huge! Looking forward to seeing what you create with some 'junk'!!

Sheryll

• smickerdoodle
    13 years ago

WOW! That is gorgeous! I can't wait to see more of your art. Welcome to the forum and keep creating!

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome! Just got home from the thrift store rounds and am hoping to make something "junky" and fun soon! Yes, the mosaic is very large. It's 18 ft. in diameter, consists of 47 sections and weighs about 6500 lbs. I came across a book by Maggy Howarth in the book store and fell in love with pebble mosaics. It took my dad and I 10 months (working every weekend) to complete it. I kept it in my garage for a couple of years and then installed it in the backyard of the old house I bought in 08. I think I'll go peruse the forum for some more ideas!! Thanks again for being so kind! :)

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

That is truly amazingly gorgeous! Where did you get your pebbles from? I'm hoping you have a source other than nature. I picked up a book on pebble mosiac recently and would love to start working on one, but I can't find the right stones.

You'll love hanging out here. There's always something going to spark the creative juices. WELCOME.

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lizzardly! Unless you are incredibly lucky, you won't find these types of pebbles in our part of the world. I actually bought some from a stoneyard locally, some from Dallas (both of which where Mexican beach pebbles) and had some shipped in from Seattle (which are imported from Indonesia.) I try not to use the polished stones as they will loose their shine and some are actually coated and will peel. The Mexican beach pebbles are my favorite. You might call around to some stoneyards in your area and see if they carry them. I also used my tile saw and grinder to cut pieces of limestone and granite for the fish fins, tree trunk, Celtic knot, etc...

I would love to do another one someday. I've always thought a pathway which looked like a winding snake would be great made from rock! :)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Lots of talent went into your Irish saying & rest of the piece. 18 ft is huge!, Like a patio but i would be afraid to walk on it. What a centerpiece for decorating rest of your yard. I see an Irish flower garden somewhere there nearby. Is 1 in the works? Welcome & welcome to the other newbies too, we've had a lot lately!! Jan

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sunny - I hadn't thought of an Irish garden but may have to look into that now! :) It's soooo beautiful over there but unfortunately I can't grown many of the things they have (i.e. Gunnera - LOVE that plant!)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

O.V.E.R. The T.O.P. Gorgeous!!!! WOW!!! How inspiring! I want to incorporate some pebble mosaics on a front patio/entryway slate project, so thanks for the heads up on the coated pebbles!!! I used some pebbles on my castle project and they are already popping off when I moved it out to the pond(got em at a dollar store).

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Lady, you sure know how to make an entry. That is spectacular. Welcome to the forum. We will be waiting for your next project, you sure have set the bar high.
    Frou

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone!! You're all so sweet.

Calamity - One thing about pebbles... you have to place them on their edge to make them stay in place. If you lay them flat they will and do pop off. I haven't seen your castle project but will go find it now! :) If I do have a stone that pops out for some reason, I usually just glue it back in with a construction adhesive.

• cait1
    13 years ago

My mouth is hanging open.

You are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMGoodness. I'm speechless... and that's just not something that happens to me!

Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see what else you can do!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Welcome Sooner (and also Donna-devon). I'm including link to our GJ albums if you haven't found them yet.

Sooner, that mosaic is mindboggling....awesome...gorgeous...
    and if you can make Cait speechless, with all her talent, then you've really rocked it!! LOL.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Inspiration Albums

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

soonergirl, your mosiac was well worth all the effort you and our dad put into it! I think Maggie Howarth has some serious competition! Great use of color and shapes. If you can do this with stones, I can't wait to see what you do with your thrift store finds! Glad to see you on our forum!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Welcome! Your pebble mosaic is amazing. you should also share it with the stained glass and mosaic forum (under the home forums) if you haven't already. they would love to see it.
    Can't wait to see what else you come up with.
    Kathy

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Concretenprimroses!! I didn't realize there WAS a mosaic forum! Oh boy!! Another forum to find more projects I need to do!! LOL :)