Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pplantlady

Penny Ball

pplantlady
15 years ago

Hi GJers,

It's been a while since I posted here but I do still read occasionally. You've been busy!! ;-)

I've gone though a bit of a depression and I've set my things aside for a while :-(

I was house sitting last week at a good friend's and I took a pic of the penny ball that I'd given her for Xmas a few years ago. It still looks great. She has it decorating her Koi pond.....

I'm thinking that I may get busy and make a few more :-)

Patti

{{gwi:154282}}

{{gwi:154284}}

Comments (14)

• marzbarre
    15 years ago

That is so cool!! Please tell us what is the form for the ball and how did you or what did you use to glue on the pennies and what did you paint it with?

• pplantlady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Marz,
    I'm glad that you like it. It's a bowling ball with a copper pipe in the thumb hole. I soaked my pennies and pipe in Miracle Grow (really strong) for a few days, dried them out and glued them on in a double layer with indoor/outdoor silicone. I then sealed it with clear gloss spray sealer. Hope this helps,
    Patti

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Welcome back, Patti. I hope you are feeling better and can get back to creating. Its good for the soul I think. I know how depression can knock you on your butt tho, so stay strong. I love the color of those pennies on that ball, really pretty.

hugs, Karen

• rosiew
    15 years ago

Patti, love the verdigris finish you got with Miracle Gro - amazing. What a great tip. Would you be able to tell me approximate number of pennies you used? I'd love to copycat you.

Blessings,
    Rosie in Sugar Hill, GA

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I was depressed for quite a spell myself, so I feel for ya! Ride it out, it gets better!!!
    Now about that BB! I LOVE it! Sheesh, if I only had a clone of me, to make all this stuff!! I jsut thought this morning that I actually have too much stuff already for one yard!!!lol! I even tried to sell some but with not much luck(it's cheaper to go get a walmart garden art than buy homemade "different" stuff)Anyhoo, nice patina on that BB!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Nice one Patti. It looks so great in that setting too. Thanks for the tips. I can't believe I gave away a bowling ball last year that a former housemate left in our cellar years ago.
    Hope you feel much better very soon.
    Kathy

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Me too, how many pennies.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I love it, and thanks for sharing how to get a quick patina! I made one last year for DH, and after I finished it I mixed salt and vinegar and sponged it on, and it quickly formed a beautiful green patina. It's only gotten more beautiful since then. That's a great idea to set it on a copper pipe in the ground, mine is on a stand on the deck, but I like the copper pipe better! I'm sure the Miracle Grow would be much better to try, and wouldn't stink so much, LOL!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I never would have thought Miracle Grow on a BB or pennies.
    I sure learn a lot here.

Calamity, email me if you want to. I think we need to chat. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Bump-How many

• texasfern
    15 years ago

That is beautiful! I've got a bowling ball out in the yard, now all I need is to save up my pennies!

• lindasc
    15 years ago

But how many do we need? I think I will get new ones and then we will always remember the year it was made,BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY TO PUT IN THE MIRACLE GROW.

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Bump

• jennahw
    15 years ago

I am going to do one of these soon - but for all the people asking how many pennies, search the old for 'penny bowling ball' for tons of tips. I recently did a mosaic glass softball (figured I'd start small!). Still have to grout it, then I'll post pics. I actually used outdoor window/door caulk to glue on the pieces.

I remember reading somewhere that it takes roughly $8 worth of pennies to cover your standard bowling ball.